Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

4 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

My bro in law is coming for the first time in 2020, he's into his Wolf Runs 'n shit. Did I read correctly that there's a running event one day at the festival which someone organised, did this happen?

Sort of. There's a 5k run on the Thursday morning around the site, think it pops up on FB closer to the time.

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sort of. There's a 5k run on the Thursday morning around the site, think it pops up on FB closer to the time.

Cheers Quarkage. I'll keep an eye out for it. I'll be cheering him on with my wake-and-bake and Tom Collins cocktail.

Edited by Stokesy10

Woke up this morning on a work from home and couldn't be bothered to go to the gym, which is pretty rare. Now racked with remorse. I did exercise twice on Sat though and eight times last week. Might just pop there later instead of pretending to work from home. Sounds like a decent compromise.

Just now, Quark said:

I'm fully down with not showering for the duration of the fest - but chucking exercise in too is just perverse (they had spinning at Bestival one year, I recall - yuck!).

Edited by Homer

8 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Cheers Quarkage. I'll keep an eye out for it. I'll be cheering him on with my wake-and-bake and Tom Collins cocktail.

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

I'm fully down with not showering for the duration of the fest - but chucking exercise in too is just perverse (they had spinning at Bestival one year, I recall - yuck!).

Stupidly I did actually take my running gear with me this year as I thought I might fancy it.

Turns out I did not. Who'd have thunk it?

I stupidly got convinced to apply for the London Marathon with my sister whilst celebrating my son completing it this year.  I got a place with Shelter, and then a place in the ballot, so now using the latter to run for Shelter.... My sister didn't get any places, and is laughing at me.

I've never run a marathon before (used to run quite a few 10k races when I was younger) and I'm mildly terrified.

My training got off to the perfect start when I broke my ankle in Williams Green on the Thursday of the festival this year.  Got the nod to attempt running from the Physio last week (treadmill only for now) and so did a gentle 5k on Sunday to see how the ankle felt.  Was great on the day, and predictably, a bit sore today and yesterday,  but not really anything different to not having run for months anyway, so cautiously pleased.  Balance is still a bit off, and can tell need to strengthen, but going to to increase by 2.5k at a time for the next few runs, and also aim for a 10k street run in late November.  If that all goes well, that will switch to full training plan from December.

I must be mad.  I will be the fittest I've ever been for the festival next year, and have a lot of catching up to do, as missed out on visiting loads of stuff this year due to the crutches!

9 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

I stupidly got convinced to apply for the London Marathon with my sister whilst celebrating my son completing it this year.  I got a place with Shelter, and then a place in the ballot, so now using the latter to run for Shelter.... My sister didn't get any places, and is laughing at me.

I've never run a marathon before (used to run quite a few 10k races when I was younger) and I'm mildly terrified.

My training got off to the perfect start when I broke my ankle in Williams Green on the Thursday of the festival this year.  Got the nod to attempt running from the Physio last week (treadmill only for now) and so did a gentle 5k on Sunday to see how the ankle felt.  Was great on the day, and predictably, a bit sore today and yesterday,  but not really anything different to not having run for months anyway, so cautiously pleased.  Balance is still a bit off, and can tell need to strengthen, but going to to increase by 2.5k at a time for the next few runs, and also aim for a 10k street run in late November.  If that all goes well, that will switch to full training plan from December.

I must be mad.  I will be the fittest I've ever been for the festival next year, and have a lot of catching up to do, as missed out on visiting loads of stuff this year due to the crutches!

congrats on securing a place for London - I had no luck in the ballot!

You'll be fine just increase distance gradually (most people recommend no more than 10% increase on each long run) and vary the types of run you do

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

You'll be fine just increase distance gradually (most people recommend no more than 10% increase on each long run)

Hugely important advice...

Beachy Head marathon for me this Saturday. How about that for elevation gain?

beachy-head-marathon-profile.jpg?w=1000

Edited by jyoung

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I'd work around the 35lb mark. True story :)

Hmm. A box of wine weighs 6 lbs, so that's 12 lbs already, without wellies or hiking boots. I'm going to estimate 100 lbs to include all the glitter and single use plastics I'll be bringing, and work from there. 

2 hours ago, beefykoala said:

Hmm. A box of wine weighs 6 lbs, so that's 12 lbs already, without wellies or hiking boots. I'm going to estimate 100 lbs to include all the glitter and single use plastics I'll be bringing, and work from there. 

Dont forget your NOS cannisters as well 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

mate! fuck

Madness, I know...

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

That's brutal.  What's the total elevation gain on the course?

Over 4300ft (for context Snowdon is 3560ft and Ben Nevis is 4411ft).

Edited by jyoung

I’ll be wandering around the Beachy Head marathon course on Saturday - I’m planning a nice easy 12 mile walk and an afternoon in the pub - so if you fancy a pint in the Pilot or the Ship then I’ll be there! 
good luck @jyoung ??

Edited by balti-pie

19 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Ok so after a long time putting it off I am going to the Gym. The work starts here (Again)

I still just want to go home mind

Quoting myself (whatever next)

So I did go in the end. Then I went back this morning.

That does mean I don't need to go for a month now right?

I've been going to my Pilates classes since September and am noticing that I am feeling a bit more flexible. Even noticed dare I say it a small imrpovement this week. Have discovered that anything on my feet I am ok with but anything involving upper body and core is where I struggle but you know it is getting a little better. Who knows one day I might actually be able to do the whole class at the hardest level! 

I've also been doing Clubbercise which is a laugh as I am totally uncoordinated but I've been enjoying it. Last month I only lost 3lb's (the slow down has started) and this month got off to a bad start with me eating my body weight in Chinese to console myself from not getting Glastonbury tickets but I had a word with myself and as part of my bargaining stage of grief I promised to be really good so that when it comes to re-sale time I will be fit enough to deserve my tickets and so the universe will reward me by giving me tickets (because that's how it works right!!)

OK, so I know exercise is good and not negative but if I post on here that I'm off to the gym tonight, then I'll have to go. After a chocolate ginger biscuit, but it's the first time for a month after illness, family issues and general laziness. Thank you for your posts that have overcome some of my apathy.