Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

I run a lot, but I'm also not getting any younger...and I find now that if I stand still for a long time, like when watching a gig, my body stiffens up, mainly my back and legs. Anyone else get that? So...anyway, I'm going to taper my running leading up to the festival same as would for a marathon.

33 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I run a lot, but I'm also not getting any younger...and I find now that if I stand still for a long time, like when watching a gig, my body stiffens up, mainly my back and legs. Anyone else get that? So...anyway, I'm going to taper my running leading up to the festival same as would for a marathon.

Definitely have this. Standing still is a killer on the back and feet. That’s why I keep dancing!
I’ll run up until the Monday then no more until the Tuesday  after the festival. It gets too busy in the lanes to run in between these times.

Hi all, any word of advice: my knee's been playing up, internal ligament torn aaaaaages ago but always was a weak spot. Any idea on what exercises would help in the next couple of weeks? I walk quite a bit, don't think running is a good idea, but I'm not sure if weights/squats etc are a good idea...

57 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yes! Lots. And it gets worse with every year that passes! I pull my knees up to my chest (well, I don’t, but I point them that way) and do some other stretches to try and engage some muscle groups while I’m stood there - core strengthening can only ever be a good thing as well. Power ballad yoga of a morning ftw 

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I get really awful lower back pain standing still for too long. My PT recommend some kettlebell exercises and planks to try and strengthen it a bit before the festival but he also recommended squatting ever so slightly whilst watching things, taking the pressure off the lower back. Probably going to look a bit ridiculous but anything that helps. 

Gone backwards this week, had a horrendous cold / flu, (not covid, tested) so not been to the gym all week, no park run today, put a lot of weight on...

So I'm going to have to go hard for the next 2 weeks! It's moved to my chest now, which I can 'usually' clear in day or two, so should be going again soon. 

57 minutes ago, Larraht said:

I get really awful lower back pain standing still for too long. My PT recommend some kettlebell exercises and planks to try and strengthen it a bit before the festival but he also recommended squatting ever so slightly whilst watching things, taking the pressure off the lower back. Probably going to look a bit ridiculous but anything that helps. 

yeah, maybe I need to do some other exercises instead of just running all the time, planks and other core stuff.

I think the thing to do is keep moving, and obviously easier to do that at Glastonbury...

• 2 weeks later...

9 days all-inclusive and lost the remaining pounds to get down to my target weight of 13 1/2 stone, a 1 year old and 5 year old to thank for the 27k average steps a day over the 9 days! Feeling fit, feeling refreshed, Festival ready!

On 5/17/2022 at 11:30 AM, Superscally said:

I came up with a good way to do my running at the fest and not do myself in on the way in. I'll prob do the Thursday run, will do one of my own on Weds and I'm going to have a running bag and run to and from the car a few times on Friday in one hit, carrying a few bits each time. Final drop off then up to Greenpeace for a shower. I'm not naive enough to predict a Saturday or Sunday run. 

What run are you doing on Weds? I’ll either run before I leave on Tues or during queue on Tues evening. Trying to get some kind of form for VLM in Oct but have 3 festivals in the way inc GM and EOTR. I’ve trained at GM a couple of times before but never run at Glasto. I think a Sunday long run will be a bit of an ask. 

On 6/19/2022 at 5:51 PM, squirrelarmy said:

Has everyone hit their goals? I think I’m ready but won’t know until I try and walk with the fully loaded bag across site. 

Remember you can rest! Don't be worried at all to sit down for 5 and break the trip up, it's a marathon not a sprint.

I'm aiming to get everything on my back no matter what (with 30 bungy cords if necessary!) Having your hands free when walking is such a game changer.

On 5/29/2022 at 9:27 PM, Alvoram said:

Awesome, then you'll know Shipley Country Park? I live just on the edge of the park 🙂 

Our group is from Kimberley/Eastwood, I know Shipley very well - shitter of a parkrun.

many happy memories of American adventure

On 5/29/2022 at 9:27 PM, Alvoram said:

Awesome, then you'll know Shipley Country Park? I live just on the edge of the park 🙂 

Well I am on day 126/127 exercise everyday challenge for Glastonbury.

Did miss a couple of days due to an unexpected trip to Paris for a cup final though did do loads of walking them days but not recorded.

Gonna finish with a big run tomorrow morning and I am match fit for Glastonbury. 

15 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Our group is from Kimberley/Eastwood, I know Shipley very well - shitter of a parkrun.

many happy memories of American adventure

I was ill for a couple of weeks, so sacked off the park run... Not exactly feeling 'glasto fit' but I'll be 'rate. 

Our friends normally go with a group from Kimberley / Eastwood, but couldn't get tickets in October 2019... As it turns out, that was probably a good thing, as life has changed for them significantly in the last 3 years!

Wondering if you've ever drunk in our pub if you know Shipley that well 🤔

Edited by Alvoram

1 hour ago, SighMo said:

What run are you doing on Weds? I’ll either run before I leave on Tues or during queue on Tues evening. Trying to get some kind of form for VLM in Oct but have 3 festivals in the way inc GM and EOTR. I’ve trained at GM a couple of times before but never run at Glasto. I think a Sunday long run will be a bit of an ask. 

Just a wee explore around the site once all tented up. Likely 8-9 miles...

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

Just a wee explore around the site once all tented up. Likely 8-9 miles...

Ok cheers. I’ll attempt a similar distance maybe 10, depending on how smoothly set up goes. Wasn’t sure if routes but just looked on GArmin Connect and found people had done a few 10km runs.