Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

36 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

TBH, i went through a fair bit of separating the wheat from the chaff post event.  I worked out that it was about 20 miles a day of steps / walking and a few extra thousand each day fannying about watching bands etc.

Went on train to Glastonbury town on the Monday. Walked to camp site below the Tor and then back into town (twice), plus going up the tor itself. When on site I had a 6 hour working shift each day which was on feet pretty much continually and then straight to bands / bars and  moving about continually plus an average of 3 hours sleep a night for a week.  It's easily 20 miles a day and possibly 22. Enough to need a karchering down on the following Tuesday and a 14 hour kip

3 hours a night kip! Yikes!

3 minutes ago, Superscally said:

3 hours a night kip! Yikes!

I know mate. Ridiculous. At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, it's conditioning from military days. I left ten years ago but still have a remarkable ability to establish battle routine and just keep going. By your tents inspection at 07:30hours. I expect bulled toe caps and bed block's!

Just now, Jay Pee said:

I know mate. Ridiculous. At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, it's conditioning from military days. I left ten years ago but still have a remarkable ability to establish battle routine and just keep going. By your tents inspection at 07:30hours. I expect bulled toe caps and bed block's!

Chapeau, my friend. 

6 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Best advice I can give you is walk everywhere that you can. If you’ve got a 2/3 mile trip to make use your feet. Don’t drive to the supermarket, walk there and load a rucksack up with your shopping. This way you’re activating the muscles that are going to be used for Glasto. 

Obviously this depends on where you live in relation to your work/shops. Lots of walking is key for Glasto fitness.

What I’ve found surprising as I’ve added more weight to my bag is that it’s not my back or shoulders taking the extra strain but my calves. 

Live in London at the moment with a 20 minute walk to the supermarket and almost never use online delivery so got that covered naturally between that and London generally being a walking city existence for us. I'm thinking a bit of weights training and a few runs to build up the strength, cardio and stamina. Probably start today as it happens!

37 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

Live in London at the moment with a 20 minute walk to the supermarket and almost never use online delivery so got that covered naturally between that and London generally being a walking city existence for us. I'm thinking a bit of weights training and a few runs to build up the strength, cardio and stamina. Probably start today as it happens!

Seem to have it all covered. Just start adding crates of cider to your shopping. Got to get your liver in training too!

• Like 2

after the last festival i pledged to get in shape for the next one.

well, i can confirm i have failed miserably, and am fatter, achier and generally all round more broken than last time.

with four weeks to go i guess its too late to worry about it... 

what an absolute idiot i am to have, literally, wasted all that time (at least in relation to this thread...)

You’re probably going to think this is really geeky… My main hobby is riding rollercoasters. Travelling all over Europe (and America later this year) visiting different theme parks and riding their coasters. Almost any free time is spent in a park. A day on park getting as many rides as possible usually involves 25k steps as a very minimum, often more. I am a 30 minute drive from Alton Towers, so visit there at least once a week, and that place definitely piles on the steps. 

On top of this my job involves standing and moving for up to 12 hours. And I also have 2 fairly big demanding dogs. 

So despite my large (read fat) physique, I actually feel fairly fit.

But for that ‘extra spring’ in my step, and to hopefully shed a few pounds, I’m hitting the gym every other night and will do the local park run / 5k every week until Glastonbury. 

Then I’ll spoil it all with too much cider and food at the festival. 🙈😂🤦🏻‍♂️

On 5/24/2022 at 7:34 AM, Superscally said:

Unfortunately your Garmin will count claps as steps...

This. There’s no way people do these crazy distances walking at Glasto. Step counters are so inaccurate. You’d have to be walking all day to attain some of the claimed distances. I’ve done a few 100 mile+ weeks mara training and you know the average person ain’t doing it. 

26 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

Urgh had a nasty fall at work yesterday, knee absolutely bashed up, 4 very large "eggs" protruding from different areas of knee🤕

All fitness put on hold, all work cancelled - hobbling with aid of stick and hoping that 26 days is enough healing/strengthening 🤞

Ouch fingers crossed all healed by the festival. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HotblackDesiato said:

After last time and schlepping around those long distances I was determined to lose some weight to help my poor old feet. So this year alone I've lost 4 stones (25kgs). A fair spring in my step now.

That's a great effort, well done.

I'm up and down trying to lose half a stone before the festival, family holiday 2 weeks before isn't going to help either!

Went on an impromptu holiday to Spain last week and did essentially nothing but laze about in the sun and drink beer. 18km walk planned for tomorrow - Google reckons that's about 20,000 steps, which is what I usually do a day at Glasto according to my phone, so should be a pretty good metric to measure my preparedness against. 

On 5/25/2022 at 10:33 AM, Alvoram said:

You’re probably going to think this is really geeky… My main hobby is riding rollercoasters. Travelling all over Europe (and America later this year) visiting different theme parks and riding their coasters. Almost any free time is spent in a park. A day on park getting as many rides as possible usually involves 25k steps as a very minimum, often more. I am a 30 minute drive from Alton Towers, so visit there at least once a week, and that place definitely piles on the steps. 

On top of this my job involves standing and moving for up to 12 hours. And I also have 2 fairly big demanding dogs. 

So despite my large (read fat) physique, I actually feel fairly fit.

But for that ‘extra spring’ in my step, and to hopefully shed a few pounds, I’m hitting the gym every other night and will do the local park run / 5k every week until Glastonbury. 

Then I’ll spoil it all with too much cider and food at the festival. 🙈😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Did you move to near Alton Towers so you would be closer, or did you live close and this is how it all started? ALSO, what's your best ever theme park you have visited AND what one do you want to visit that you never have?

Geeky? Yes. But also this is a forum full of people who pass the time between Glastonbury talking about Glastonbury so also, your audience.... 🤣

18 minutes ago, irnkrtn said:

Did you move to near Alton Towers so you would be closer, or did you live close and this is how it all started? ALSO, what's your best ever theme park you have visited AND what one do you want to visit that you never have?

Geeky? Yes. But also this is a forum full of people who pass the time between Glastonbury talking about Glastonbury so also, your audience.... 🤣

I live 5 minutes walk away from the old American Adventure, that's where it started really. I would do 3 paper rounds and spend every Saturday and Sunday in there as a teenager, using the money I earned. This also puts me a handy short drive from Alton Towers. When I left school I went on to work at Alton Towers for a couple of seasons. Then sadly American Adventure closed down, so Towers also became my closest park.

Favourite park is a split. My favourite 'theme park' (as in a park with more than just loads of rides, one with a real effort put into theming and creating an immersive environment,) is Phantasialand, in Germany. My favourite 'amusement park' (as in a park where the hardware is the main star of the show, and less attention is paid to theming and immersion,) is Energylandia in Poland, which also happens to be the home of my favourite coaster, Zadra.  

The park highest on my bucket list is Cedar Point in Ohio. I go to America for the first time in September, but naturally we're starting with Florida. Whilst Florida may be considered one of the biggest theme park destinations in the world, Cedar Point is rollercoaster Mecca for any enthusiast. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I live 5 minutes walk away from the old American Adventure, that's where it started really. I would do 3 paper rounds and spend every Saturday and Sunday in there as a teenager, using the money I earned. This also puts me a handy short drive from Alton Towers. When I left school I went on to work at Alton Towers for a couple of seasons. Then sadly American Adventure closed down, so Towers also became my closest park.

Favourite park is a split. My favourite 'theme park' (as in a park with more than just loads of rides, one with a real effort put into theming and creating an immersive environment,) is Phantasialand, in Germany. My favourite 'amusement park' (as in a park where the hardware is the main star of the show, and less attention is paid to theming and immersion,) is Energylandia in Poland, which also happens to be the home of my favourite coaster, Zadra.  

The park highest on my bucket list is Cedar Point in Ohio. I go to America for the first time in September, but naturally we're starting with Florida. Whilst Florida may be considered one of the biggest theme park destinations in the world, Cedar Point is rollercoaster Mecca for any enthusiast. 

I remember American Adventure!! 

No one else i speak to remembers it 😂😂

Went there plenty of times as a child as wasn't far from it. 

24 minutes ago, Lesley2337 said:

Awesome, then you'll know Shipley Country Park? I live just on the edge of the park 🙂 

1 hour ago, Lesley2337 said:

I also remember American Adventure! Not far away either. That's such a cool story, @Alvoram. I absolutely love fun fairs, theme parks, amusement parks the lot - I just really dont like going on many rides haha. My favourite is Prater in Vienna. I can hack a ghost train but nothing too fast or too high! 

56 minutes ago, irnkrtn said:

I also remember American Adventure! Not far away either. That's such a cool story, @Alvoram. I absolutely love fun fairs, theme parks, amusement parks the lot - I just really dont like going on many rides haha. My favourite is Prater in Vienna. I can hack a ghost train but nothing too fast or too high! 

Oh wow, Prater is one I haven't been to, and it's definitely on my radar, so much History. Did you know it's the second oldest theme park in the world? Austria, Denmark and Italy are probably the 3 most significant countries in Europe that I haven't visited the parks in yet. I've done parks in France, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Sweden, Poland and Turkey. I think Denmark will be next in Europe as it has so many historic parks, the oldest in the world, and the 4th oldest, I think. 

I'm scared of heights, massively, but I think that's why I first got into big coasters, I love the buzz I (used to) get after riding them. It's hard to explain, but when I do something despite being terrified, that feeling after is better than any drug!!! They don't really scare me at all nowadays though. I'm fine with anything where I'm 'connected' to something. Nowadays it's just exposed heights like cliff edges, and tall footbridges etc. Last year my girlfriend persuaded me to walk over the new bridge at Tintagel castle. Absolutely bricking it, and took me a while to pluck up the courage, but got a similar buzz after doing it. Then you see Mr Joe Bloggs and his wife just casually strolling across without a care in the world... 🙈😂😂

Edited by Alvoram

4 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Oh wow, Prater is one I haven't been to, and it's definitely on my radar, so much History. Did you know it's the second oldest theme park in the world? Austria, Denmark and Italy are probably the 3 most significant countries in Europe that I haven't visited the parks in yet. I've done parks in France, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Sweden, Poland and Turkey. I think Denmark will be next in Europe as it has so many historic parks, the oldest in the world, and the 4th oldest, I think. 

I'm scared of heights, massively, but I think that's why I first got into big coasters, I love the buzz I (used to) get after riding them. It's hard to explain, but when I do something despite being terrified, that feeling after is better than any drug!!! They don't really scare me at all nowadays though. I'm fine with anything where I'm 'connected' to something. Nowadays it's just exposed heights like cliff edges, and tall footbridges etc. Last year my girlfriend persuaded me to walk over the new bridge at Tintagel castle. Absolutely bricking it, and took me a while to pluck up the courage, but got a similar buzz after doing it. Then you see Mr Joe Bloggs and his wife just casually strolling across without a care in the world... 🙈😂😂

I had to wave at my other half on the other side of that Tintagel bridge! I did - there was an amazing exhibition in Vienna all about Prater and how it came to be. I think there's a permanent one on site. You should definitely visit its very special indeed!