Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

Can we talk watches?

Currently have a Garmin 735xt but looking to upgrade as I’d like a wearable I can put music / podcasts on to so I don’t have to wear a bag to carry my phone every run.

I’d like another Garmin so it’s the 745, 945 or the fenix 6 pro.

Anyone have any recommendations out of the these?

3 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Can we talk watches?

Currently have a Garmin 735xt but looking to upgrade as I’d like a wearable I can put music / podcasts on to so I don’t have to wear a bag to carry my phone every run.

I went from Garmin to apple watch for that reason.  I can go for a run without taking my phone and stream music on the way.  I can even grab some water from a shop and pay with apple pay in a pinch! Battery life is annoying (charge once a day vs once a week with the garmin) but otherwise it's been a great upgrade.  Obviously there's android versions if you're in that ecosystem.  If you're determined to stick to garmin then my brother has the fenix and loves it, but getting music on is a bit of a ball ache, I believe the app isn't great.

Doing at least 4k a day walking out to check a fence going up, no it's not THE fence, so should have plenty in the legs for those first few trips too and from the car on the Wednesday.  Also doing my usual lunchtime workouts, need to be fully fit by 8th June as I've got my family holiday and there will be no time between that and the festival to do anything else.

On 5/12/2022 at 7:12 AM, JoeyT said:

Can we talk watches?

Hi Mate,  I have been using the Fenix 6X Pro for probably about 18 months now and love it.  Its really robust and took some battering already.  I love the fact that even with quite intensive use, I get a week to ten days out of a charge.

All THAT said, I don't like to have all the other stuff coming to my watch.  I have messages and other apps blocked from the watch so from a multimedia perspective, I cant really feedback but understand it may be a bit clunky software wise if you are after the full experience.

So, for thrashing yourself and getting the exercise in, I love it but I don't engage with the other faffing.

All about training specifically for your goals, in this case to be on your feet all day/night. For me, I think longer runs and at slower pace will be way more beneficial than shorter runs at a faster pace. Shorter runs (i.e 5k) are great for improving your VO2 max, but that isn’t what you need for a festival. Weighted walks & legs/lower body work-outs are what I’ll be doing! 

On 5/12/2022 at 7:12 AM, JoeyT said:

Can we talk watches?

Picked up a Garmin Venu2 at weekend (second hand but like new for £180).  Absolutely brilliant watch, really pleased with it for tracking runs/GPS and spotify while I run so don't need phone on runs any more.

Started running for first time in years 6 weeks ago, partly to get Glasto fit and also a family challenge.  Doing 3 5k's a week. Sort of followed my own version of C25k with run a bit walk a bit but getting better and now running sub 35min which I'm OK with for a chunky 50yo!  Starting to get sore shins though so going to move onto bike rides/running alternate - dusting off my bike which has been hanging in the garage for a couple of years untouched!

Exercise is good isn't it?  Need to lose some weight too but feeling better than I have for a few years and more glasto fit.   

Edited by Northtim

1 hour ago, Stokesy10 said:

Hi, does the Thursday morning run still happen at GF? Asking for a mate who's a newbie. And likes to run. For some reason.

I came up with a good way to do my running at the fest and not do myself in on the way in. I'll prob do the Thursday run, will do one of my own on Weds and I'm going to have a running bag and run to and from the car a few times on Friday in one hit, carrying a few bits each time. Final drop off then up to Greenpeace for a shower. I'm not naive enough to predict a Saturday or Sunday run. 

Managing longer runs now and enjoying swimming and cycling.. did a more hardcore HIIT class this week and it’s working, lost 2kg and feeling fitter..  will try not to do anything too crazy like attempt a super long run.. just going to maintain where I am now and hopefully I’ll be fit for Glastonbury.

OK so... I've been unwell for a long while and am now better (hurrah). But it meant I couldn't do any of this fitness lark for the duration and I'd fallen off the wagon a long time before it kicked off around Christmas. Do we think it's possible to get match fit in 3 weeks? Goals are: kit not breaking me lugging in on Weds and being able to remain (somewhat) upright until Sunday.

Oh man the difference between a fit Glasto and an unfit Glasto is worlds apart - you guys have the right idea! I got fit for the 2016 one and it was so worth it!

• Upvote 1

Started a local 21 day challenge today in the hope of building a bit of stamina and shifting a little weight. 

1300 cals 1200 steps 2 litres of water and a workout each day. 

I'm telling myself that as its only for 21 days, I can handle that and then fluff back up with all the cider and food at the festival. 

10 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

Do we think it's possible to get match fit in 3 weeks?

Best advice I can give you is walk everywhere that you can. If you’ve got a 2/3 mile trip to make use your feet. Don’t drive to the supermarket, walk there and load a rucksack up with your shopping. This way you’re activating the muscles that are going to be used for Glasto. 

Obviously this depends on where you live in relation to your work/shops. Lots of walking is key for Glasto fitness.

What I’ve found surprising as I’ve added more weight to my bag is that it’s not my back or shoulders taking the extra strain but my calves. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Best advice I can give you is walk everywhere that you can. If you’ve got a 2/3 mile trip to make use your feet. Don’t drive to the supermarket, walk there and load a rucksack up with your shopping. This way you’re activating the muscles that are going to be used for Glasto. 

Obviously this depends on where you live in relation to your work/shops. Lots of walking is key for Glasto fitness.

What I’ve found surprising as I’ve added more weight to my bag is that it’s not my back or shoulders taking the extra strain but my calves. 

My life mantra there. Hardly use the car other than tricky work commutes.  Walk / cycle everywhere local. Take a backpack to the shop and carry a basket. When it's full then I know I am at backpack limit. Its little things that can keep your fitness for life and not just festivals.  Carrying a full basket round the shop for 20 minutes is a workout. Its not HIIT but its a workout. 

I'm well North of fifty now and can still tackle a good mountain walk with no snags and manage a 150 mile week at Glastonbury. Which was what my Garmin spat out when I got home after 2019. That was Monday to Sunday.

zero Glastonbury push required if you set some changes in to your daily routine.. and there is the cost of diesel at the moment!!!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

My life mantra there. Hardly use the car other than tricky work commutes.  Walk / cycle everywhere local. Take a backpack to the shop and carry a basket. When it's full then I know I am at backpack limit. Its little things that can keep your fitness for life and not just festivals.  Carrying a full basket round the shop for 20 minutes is a workout. Its not HIIT but its a workout. 

I'm well North of fifty now and can still tackle a good mountain walk with no snags and manage a 150 mile week at Glastonbury. Which was what my Garmin spat out when I got home after 2019. That was Monday to Sunday.

zero Glastonbury push required if you set some changes in to your daily routine.. and there is the cost of diesel at the moment!!!

Unfortunately your Garmin will count claps as steps...

TBH, i went through a fair bit of separating the wheat from the chaff post event.  I worked out that it was about 20 miles a day of steps / walking and a few extra thousand each day fannying about watching bands etc.

Went on train to Glastonbury town on the Monday. Walked to camp site below the Tor and then back into town (twice), plus going up the tor itself. When on site I had a 6 hour working shift each day which was on feet pretty much continually and then straight to bands / bars and  moving about continually plus an average of 3 hours sleep a night for a week.  It's easily 20 miles a day and possibly 22. Enough to need a karchering down on the following Tuesday and a 14 hour kip

On 5/17/2022 at 11:33 AM, Funkyfairy! said:

I;ve left it too late (wail) , always starting 'tomorrow' - ah well every little helps, and ibruprofen will work wonders on the aching knees and back 🙂

I may start now for next year 🙂

Don't worry I started this thread after doing a real health kick in 2019 but the pandemic kicked my arse and I have not been able to get back on track at all so going into this Glastonbury at my least fit ever. Hopefully the struggle will spur me on to get fitter and healthier for next year.