Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

1 minute ago, David_303 said:

This is why I run with a group - because I'll just sack it off if I did it on my own. 

Yes, I did the C5K with a group from work and went to every session, bar the first as I was at Glastonbury funnily enough.  And then barely ran again after doing 2 park runs.  The group restarted informally after covid and I go occasionally but can often find reasons not to - "oh I had to finish something at work", "my cat was feeling needy" and other things.

On 4/21/2022 at 1:15 PM, steviewevie said:

I had plantar fasciitis for a few years...really frustrating injury...and one stretch that worked for me quite well was actually the opposite of most, where instead of stretching sole of foot by pulling toes upwards, you actually stetch the top of the foot by pulling toes down. Maybe it's crap and I was just coming to end of the injury anyway...but maybe worth a try. Also, important to stretch calf muscles daily.

what you're doing there is loading the plantar fascia rather than just stretching it which is actually pretty important and often neglected. Ill pretty much always prescribe toe curls along with the stretches

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

what you're doing there is loading the plantar fascia rather than just stretching it which is actually pretty important and often neglected. Ill pretty much always prescribe toe curls along with the stretches

will add that to the list 🙂 

• Like 1

Got three hikes in the next two weeks. Today was Kinder Scout (gentle intro) and then Hellvelyn this coming weekend and the Snowden the weekend after. 

First 5kg of weight loss recently. Second 5KG block should be sorted around this hiking plan.

Final 5kg will be the five weeks into the festival. That 15kg loss should put me back to my 2019 festival weight

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kalopsia said:

He really is, just a genuine person. And a phenomenal runner, he wasn't even breathing hard after a sub 18 5km.

Sickening just how fit some of these people are. I've met Mo Farah and Haile Gebrselassie straight after they have done a half marathon and a 10km and they didn't even seem out of breath. 

Played 80 minutes on Saturday, for the first time since December due to injury (osteitis pubis, rather than the labral tear which was originally diagnosed). I was blowing after 15...

That's me until September as unavailable for our last game of the season. Will get involved in after work 5-a-side football for a few weeks now.

• 2 weeks later...

As a bit of a fatty I need to up my game ahead of the festival. Had this week off and down in Devon so managed to get in 3 walks, 2 short ones around the 3 mile mark and 1 slightly longer at 5 miles. Was also carrying our dog all the way each time in a rucksack (she only weighs about 6kg and she’s too old and blind to walk too far these days but still likes to sniff the air). The good thing about the walks was all the hills, did something like 65 flights of stairs on the longer walk. 

Gonna back this up by playing tennis a couple of times a week through to the festival, lots more walks and having a few weeks on a diet to shift a few pounds. 

• Upvote 1

Feel like I’m in a much better place than 2020 or 2021, mainly due to my son being born. I’ve taken a years sabbatical to look after him, which basically involves walking around town all day with the pram. Doing between 10-15k steps just pottering. 

About to go for my first run in about 4 months. Have had a gout flare up which comes once a year and lasts a month which has stopped me and could potentially fuck up my Glasto so fingers crossed that doesn’t return by June!

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

John Kelly about to smash the Wainwrights record.  That’s all 216 of the Lake District fells in Wainwrights’ books in one go.  500km and 35,000 metres of assent!

I wonder if @Superscallyhelped him out on a leg!?

Work got in the way. Been offering wry observations and encouragement on the WhatsApp group instead 🤣

I’ve been semi consistent with my plan to swim once, bike commute to work one day, one hiit class and do at least one run a week.. I did a 5k run on Saturday and for the first time in months it felt ok.  Just need to stick to the plan and hopefully I’ll be back to a reasonable level of fitness for Glastonbury. 

• Upvote 1