Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

• 2 weeks later...

Done my first hike with a pack this morning. I say hike but I walked the 3 miles to work with a crate of cider in my bag. 

It’s definitely woken up some muscles that haven’t been used for a while. I’m going to be adding weight slowly over the next few weeks and eventually will have my pack weight similar to the load I’ll be taking to the festival.

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2022 at 4:55 PM, Riggins said:

Zwift was the close competitor when I was doing research! Looks really cool. Ultimately I also need a money tree, but Peloton is just a monthly payment. I do it instead of a gym contract. I know it has this w*nky, middle class image but I love it and the music selection they have is fantastic. They've just done a Bowie series and generally the playlists are tip top, makes it enjoyable

W*nky, middle class one over here! 🤣 Might sound dramatic, but it has seriously changed my life.  It was a huge amount of money for me to fork out which is probably why I've stuck at it - I'm too tight not to get my moneys worth and I don't eat shite because I know how hard I have to go on it which would be stupid to waste on a family bag of Doritos 

I’ve managed to get up to a decent level of running again, nothing crazy, averaging around 30km a week across 4 runs. Feeling fitter and think this will see me in a good position, fitness wise, for the festival. Don’t seem to be losing any weight though, might need to stop the snacking between meals and boozy weekends!

On 1/20/2022 at 2:36 PM, Riggins said:

Best thing I did for my fitness was getting a Peloton. Laugh all you want but I'm going to stand by it as the best bit of kit I've bought fitness wise in my life. Still got a ways to go to get in the shape I want for the festival but it's helping. Been plagued by a series of minor small injuries whilst running which really knock me off my stride and let me sink into bad eating habits so it's helped as a way of getting some exercise in. Anyone else got one? 

I was torn between this and the WattBike. I'm not an uber cyclist, I like a decent 30-40km during the summer and had a spin bike at home to tick over. But I saw a number of boxers raving about WattBike as mixing up their training and a few footy teams used them during lockdowns when they couldn't get to training.

I'm two weeks into some decent Zwift rides (3 or 4 a week), weight is coming off, fitness improving rapidly (even though my base level is always decent). Really really impressed.

Yep, pricey bits of kit etc, WattBike is about £2k, but I'm going to now ditch my gym membership.

1 hour ago, TheBurns said:

Went for my first run in ages today, just a 5k, and the hill towards the end almost killed me!

Going to try to get back into a good habit of running for the summer so hopefully I'll be fine for the fest.

My runs always finish uphill . Either muddy lane or the one past john peel and up to Michaels house. Its a killer but there isn't much choice. Still e6hat goes up must come down so enjoy the downs when you get them.

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Really bloody frustrated 1.5 weeks after new insoles and they haven’t helped plantar fasciitis a huge amount that I’ve noticed … think I’m gonna be in pain for the fest … I’m hoping walking on softer ground might help , or a miracle before that 

get two golf balls, and roll the soles of your feet on them as hard as you can stand, three or four times a day for about five minutes - ive had plantar fasciitis a couple of times (i do loads of hiking etc) and it sucks, but you can definitely keep it at bay. The aim is to separate a layer of inflamed muscle (the fascia) from the skin and the bone, and then it stops being a problem. (source, my podiatrist mate, who will be at glastonbury this year courtesy of FMS!)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

get two golf balls, and roll the soles of your feet on them as hard as you can stand, three or four times a day for about five minutes - ive had plantar fasciitis a couple of times (i do loads of hiking etc) and it sucks, but you can definitely keep it at bay. The aim is to separate a layer of inflamed muscle (the fascia) from the skin and the bone, and then it stops being a problem. (source, my podiatrist mate, who will be at glastonbury this year courtesy of FMS!)

A podiatrist gave me the insoles and I’ve tried similar with tennis balls … I had it about 10years ago and it went but now has appeared again a few months back … I’ll try the golf balls too … thanks 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

A podiatrist gave me the insoles and I’ve tried similar with tennis balls … I had it about 10years ago and it went but now has appeared again a few months back … I’ll try the golf balls too … thanks 

I felt like a right twat the first few times, wondering why on earth it had to be golf balls - and I had to nick the balls from a local course, cos I don’t play golf ffs - but after a couple of days it felt much better, and I havnt had plantar fasciitis in a good few years now, thankfully. It’s bloody horrible! 

I work in healthcare and do 12 hour shifts whereby I am on my feet for most of that time, so I should be okay on that account.  I am planning to do a detox in the month of May though.  I used to do them once a year, but haven't for the last couple of years.  I am off the drink since June 2020, but need to cut down on sugar and coffee, and will be good to get a general health boost pre Glasto.  For now it's just talk and planning, but by writing it here I feel more accountable!

19 hours ago, Stu H said:

I was torn between this and the WattBike. I'm not an uber cyclist, I like a decent 30-40km during the summer and had a spin bike at home to tick over. But I saw a number of boxers raving about WattBike as mixing up their training and a few footy teams used them during lockdowns when they couldn't get to training.

I'm two weeks into some decent Zwift rides (3 or 4 a week), weight is coming off, fitness improving rapidly (even though my base level is always decent). Really really impressed.

Yep, pricey bits of kit etc, WattBike is about £2k, but I'm going to now ditch my gym membership.

I can't speak to WattBike, but can say two months later I'm still on the Peloton daily and loving it. I run as well, but on days I'm knackered or don't have a run I can easily do a low impact or recovery ride and still get some in. The music aspect is amazing for me, nothing better than doing a ride and they put your favourite tune on, gives you such a boost. I've just got the Guide too which hooks up to your TV so now I can do strength, stretching and more on that. Yeah it costs a bit but I pay monthly so just like a regular gym contract type deal, and I've felt the benefit so much so I don't mind paying a bit towards my health/fitness if it works like it has done 🙂

• Upvote 1

Managed to commute to work twice this week via bike (and it’s a massive hill climb all the way home), an hour of swimming tonight and a run at the weekend..  hoping I can stick to that consistently until the festival and maybe add some extra runs in.  

For those using home cycling as an option, how loud are they for other people in the house? I’m not allowed out on the road anymore on my bike so I got a friction wheel for it so I could use my bike in my house. The problem was that it was so noisy my neighbours complained any time I used it. 

30 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

For those using home cycling as an option, how loud are they for other people in the house? I’m not allowed out on the road anymore on my bike so I got a friction wheel for it so I could use my bike in my house. The problem was that it was so noisy my neighbours complained any time I used it. 

Get new neighbours 

22 hours ago, Stu H said:

I had the same dilema and am leaning towards the wattbike.  Wattbike will let me do zwift with auto resistance, and I can take the peloton classes paying £12 instead of £40.  Peloton with auto resitance on the bike+ does look good, but can't do zwift at all and £40 (or has it gone up to £45 now?) a month every month forever doesn't appeal.

20 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I had plantar fasciitis for a few years...really frustrating injury...and one stretch that worked for me quite well was actually the opposite of most, where instead of stretching sole of foot by pulling toes upwards, you actually stetch the top of the foot by pulling toes down. Maybe it's crap and I was just coming to end of the injury anyway...but maybe worth a try. Also, important to stretch calf muscles daily.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I had plantar fasciitis for a few years...really frustrating injury...and one stretch that worked for me quite well was actually the opposite of most, where instead of stretching sole of foot by pulling toes upwards, you actually stetch the top of the foot by pulling toes down. Maybe it's crap and I was just coming to end of the injury anyway...but maybe worth a try. Also, important to stretch calf muscles daily.

Yeah I’m doing calf stretches already as advised … thanks 

On 4/21/2022 at 11:25 AM, squirrelarmy said:

The Watt Bike isn't silent by any means, but my wife downstairs can't hear it and it doesn't bother the kids when in bed in adjacent rooms.

It's a notch above my old crappy spin bike, but not much.

(when I had an old training bracket thing, I found that very noisey actually!)

Edited by Stu H

Walked 19km from Macclesfield to Knutsford yesterday, first longish walk in a while as festival prep. 

On the plus side did it in 3:13 which isn’t a bad walking pace. Downside, I’m feeling it today - defo need to up the mileage between now & 22 June!

Grumpy moment was having to detour around some billionaires mansion whose security fence & grounds completely cut off the footpath. 😡

I'm considering signing up for a 4 week group personal trainer thing (I know that's a contradiction in terms but I can't think how else to describe it). Starts next week so will finish just in time for Bearded Theory (though will have to miss the last session).

I gave up my gym membership a couple of years back, and apart from the odd bit of running a few k have done nothing since.

It's expensive but I think that will make me stick to it.