Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

Starting my training proper for a half marathon in June as a warm up for London.

I started a plan last week and it just didnt agree with me, there's no need for a 2 mile warm up for intervals.

So I've returned to the trusty RunBuddy app and looking forward to some broken miles after work. The weather is great today.

Currently in an internal debate over whether to sign up for a TAB event in May.  Just not sure if I can be arsed to make the training more event-specific, which is what I'd need to do if I wanted to go for a time.

And being me, I'd definitely want to go for a time. 

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Currently in an internal debate over whether to sign up for a TAB event in May.  Just not sure if I can be arsed to make the training more event-specific, which is what I'd need to do if I wanted to go for a time.

And being me, I'd definitely want to go for a time. 

Just do it, consider it a final warm up for the true endurance test that is Glastonbury.

I'm doing the Hackney Half in May for that exact reason.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Just do it, consider it a final warm up for the true endurance test that is Glastonbury.

I'm doing the Hackney Half in May for that exact reason.

It's a maybe.  They do have an alternative which is the straight cross country run on the same course, just without the kit. Might do that instead, can just continue running as training then without having to get too specific.

Heading out later this week for an all day walk so going to have some kit in the bag, might try running a few km just to see how it feels

Edited by Quark

3 hours ago, Quark said:

It's a maybe.  They do have an alternative which is the straight cross country run on the same course, just without the kit. Might do that instead, can just continue running as training then without having to get too specific.

Heading out later this week for an all day walk so going to have some kit in the bag, might try running a few km just to see how it feels

Hope weather is nice!! 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Hope weather is nice!! 

At the moment it's looking absolutely mint. Got a nice route planned, want to be on the go about 7am. Plan is to use phone only for occasional map checks, no music or anything. Just a day of being completely incommunicado. Bliss.

If I get my timing right I should be on the South Downs ridgeline as the sun's going down...

Screenshot_20220314-112430_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7c19fa4d52828d1f75c063086df2750c.jpg

Edited by Quark

1 hour ago, Quark said:

At the moment it's looking absolutely mint. Got a nice route planned, want to be on the go about 7am. Plan is to use phone only for occasional map checks, no music or anything. Just a day of being completely incommunicado. Bliss.

If I get my timing right I should be on the South Downs ridgeline as the sun's going down...

Screenshot_20220314-112430_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7c19fa4d52828d1f75c063086df2750c.jpg

👌 Optimal.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Quite literally, one step at a time Neil.  Take it steady and you'll get there.

Learning to walk again is hard work. Am waiting for the taxi to walking football just now. 

With the last couple of years being sedentary and recently recovering from a bout of covid, I've really got to get myself into shape in the next few months to deal with the ridiculous wednesday walk.

Fortunately, I live on the coast so can walk along the dunes so as soon as Mrs Shanks has also gotten over her covid, we're going to be getting festival fit.

I'm already dreading the ache but it's so necessary. I don't think I've ever been this unfit

2 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

Has anyone got any back strengthening exercises they could share? Preferably lower/middle back 👍

Back extensions and/or  Good Mornings are good ones that target the lower back

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.strengthlog.com%2Fgood-morning%2F&psig=AOvVaw0CLueIcRxDOQHU-bcfAWcX&ust=1647438962927000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAgQjRxqFwoTCNDik8OiyPYCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAU

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

Has anyone got any back strengthening exercises they could share? Preferably lower/middle back 👍

If you have back issues then focus on strengthening your glutes as well. 

Glute bridges, hip thrusts, clams are all a great start for this.

I can't train for a few weeks (after a minor op) so sole focus is on walking at the moment.

This year really has been a shocker as I had Covid, then a mystery illness which whacked me out for a week, then the op. 

Chomping at the bit to run and start lifting again! 

April 5th I can get going again.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, March Hare said:

A week into 10k steps a day. Aiming to keep going until Glasto week and hopefully shedding enough weight to be lighter than when I arrived in 2019. Set myself a 13 week plan and stuck to it for 10 days so far. Early days but going in the right direction

On a similar plan! 13 weeks (although actually on holiday first week of June, so thats a soft target). Aiming to drop around 1 kg a week with better exercise, regular gym and healthy eating. Also trying to greatly reduce any alcohol in the lead up. Will hopefully make the whole event cheaper 🤣

Is anyone else starting to prep their shoulders and back ready for carrying their festival gear? 

I haven’t carried a festival weight backpack since 2019. If my body isn’t ready to carry that kind of weight then I’m going to struggle massively. Will be a huge shock to the body if I wait till the day of the festival to wake those specific muscles up. 

1 hour ago, jamesc415 said:

On a similar plan! 13 weeks (although actually on holiday first week of June, so thats a soft target). Aiming to drop around 1 kg a week with better exercise, regular gym and healthy eating. Also trying to greatly reduce any alcohol in the lead up. Will hopefully make the whole event cheaper 🤣

Likewise, 1kg a week but the added cardio should set me up nicely

42 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Is anyone else starting to prep their shoulders and back ready for carrying their festival gear? 

I haven’t carried a festival weight backpack since 2019. If my body isn’t ready to carry that kind of weight then I’m going to struggle massively. Will be a huge shock to the body if I wait till the day of the festival to wake those specific muscles up. 

It’s a fair point, you don’t want to spend day 1 shattered. How to you prep for it? Other than replicating it on you back for a few long walks