Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

7 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve just got back to the pool today … worry’s over omnicrom have been a bit of a mission to try to get through for me so the first time back since 20dec …. 86 lengths done today … need to start fighting the virus in my head now … 

Just the 86...break yourself back in gently then 😉 

In week 3 of my return to swimming. Aiming for 40lengths (1km) a day during the week, after starting off at lengths for the first two weeks. After a year of pretty much no exercise at all I am feeling the benefits already. Brighton is a hilly city and the walk home already feels a bit easier. Hoping for the real benefits it kick in after around 3 months. It feels good to be back doing something.

@Quarkwell that was hard work! One of the hardest runs I’ve ever done. The wind for that final three miles was brutal! Was on course to go under 2 hours for the first half of the race but crashed pretty hard in the final stretch and limped in at 2.08.

We’re you all in black? Think you walked past me in the pen but couldn’t  quite remember your number.

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

@Quarkwell that was hard work! One of the hardest runs I’ve ever done. The wind for that final three miles was brutal! Was on course to go under 2 hours for the first half of the race but crashed pretty hard in the final stretch and limped in at 2.08.

We’re you all in black? Think you walked past me in the pen but couldn’t  quite remember your number.

Ha, you were only a minute ahead of us! Came in at 2:09 🙂

Yep, all in black with a silver run harness. I did wander around shouting if anyone had seen a Hugh Jass, but for some reason I got nothing but odd looks 😂

It was the headwind that hit you coming around the lagoon and onto the seafront with 5km to go that was the bastard!

19 hours ago, Quark said:

Ha, you were only a minute ahead of us! Came in at 2:09 🙂

Yep, all in black with a silver run harness. I did wander around shouting if anyone had seen a Hugh Jass, but for some reason I got nothing but odd looks 😂

It was the headwind that hit you coming around the lagoon and onto the seafront with 5km to go that was the bastard!

Couldn't remember if you were 9183 or 9163, then by the time my brain had processed this you'd wandered off anyway... 

Really didn't enjoy that yesterday, first two and a half miles running into the sun and the wind were a bastard and the final three miles were even worse!! The bits in the middle weren't that much fun either. It was my first race since the 2019 London Marathon and it really showed. I was 37 when I last raced and I'm 40 now, the extra years coupled with a general decline in fitness levels really stung!

Doing the Hackney Half next in May, but already thinking if I don't enjoy that then I'm going to step back from racing and just go back to casual running.

29 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Couldn't remember if you were 9183 or 9163, then by the time my brain had processed this you'd wandered off anyway... 

Really didn't enjoy that yesterday, first two and a half miles running into the sun and the wind were a bastard and the final three miles were even worse!! The bits in the middle weren't that much fun either. It was my first race since the 2019 London Marathon and it really showed. I was 37 when I last raced and I'm 40 now, the extra years coupled with a general decline in fitness levels really stung!

Doing the Hackney Half next in May, but already thinking if I don't enjoy that then I'm going to step back from racing and just go back to casual running.

TBH trying to meet at those events is never gonna work unless you lock something in or stay in phone contact!

Shame you didn't enjoy it, I had a blast. The wind on that home stretch was a bit of a fucker but I really enjoyed that first stretch up to the marina, just loved the view.  Thought the Brighton crowd was really good, and who isn't inspired by a samba band?! 😄

Might be because we were just out to run rather than race that let us enjoy it, took the pressure off. Although I think I'm going to enter next year and go for a time, feels like a course I could get my head down on.

Me and Mrs Q have a 75km bike sportive in Wiltshire in a couple of weeks, but my next running one is Paras 10 in May. That'll be the first tabbing race I've done since Jan 2020, so I've got some serious work to do before then to get used to it again!

I'd just say get yesterday out of your mind and focus on Hackney. Everyone has bad run days that just feel like shite, especially if it's the first for a while.

Edited by Quark

Just signed up for the Vitality London 10K as a charity runner.

Did Couch to 5K in May - July of last year and was happy to comfortably get to 5K and finally started enjoying it. However Covid caught me during the Euros which really messed up my lung capacity. Could barely break into a jog without feeling like I was going to hyperventilate.

So I sort of lost heart after that and have done very few runs between July and now. Managed 3.5k on New Years Day without any issues so know I can build on that. Just a case of putting in the sessions again really and getting back into a routine.

Whilst a charity run isn't about speed, I would still like to come out of it with an ok time and my pride in tact. So any hints or tips welcome. I will be running with my mum who started Couch to 5K with me, but has managed to keep it up even as I sloped off. She has been working towards a half marathon with the Nike training plan. If I can keep up with her on the day I will be chuffed.

8 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

Just signed up for the Vitality London 10K as a charity runner.

Did Couch to 5K in May - July of last year and was happy to comfortably get to 5K and finally started enjoying it. However Covid caught me during the Euros which really messed up my lung capacity. Could barely break into a jog without feeling like I was going to hyperventilate.

So I sort of lost heart after that and have done very few runs between July and now. Managed 3.5k on New Years Day without any issues so know I can build on that. Just a case of putting in the sessions again really and getting back into a routine.

Whilst a charity run isn't about speed, I would still like to come out of it with an ok time and my pride in tact. So any hints or tips welcome. I will be running with my mum who started Couch to 5K with me, but has managed to keep it up even as I sloped off. She has been working towards a half marathon with the Nike training plan. If I can keep up with her on the day I will be chuffed.

I'd go back to Couch to 5k, if you've done it once you'll be able to do it again and you'll be surprised after a couple of weeks how much your body remembers about the last time. Once you can do a comfortable 5k then start building up a little, maybe an extra 100m or so each run.

Don't worry about going all the way up to 10k in your training, if you can get to 7-8k then adrenaline will carry you the rest of the way.

Edited by Hugh Jass II
  • Upvote 1

I managed to do the local parkrun on Saturday, my first since November and my first run since the first week of January. This year has been terrible for my mental health so far, I started having panic attacks in December and have continued to slide down since then, currently signed off of work with it and struggling to see past the current issues. I do hope that first run back will convince me to run often again and that this can be the start of my year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

I managed to do the local parkrun on Saturday, my first since November and my first run since the first week of January. This year has been terrible for my mental health so far, I started having panic attacks in December and have continued to slide down since then, currently signed off of work with it and struggling to see past the current issues. I do hope that first run back will convince me to run often again and that this can be the start of my year.

Now the days are getting longer and the weather will be turning soon then getting out for a walk/run will do the world of good. 

My hip is coming good! Had an MRI scan on Sunday and will have to wait 2 weeks for the result, but it feels like the hip flexor has reattached to the bone. I tested it out on Saturday with a fair bit of jogging, change of direction, a few box jumps, and it felt fine. Need to keep rehabbing to strengthen it as I did feel it on Sunday. Not pain, but just an awareness I have a hip flexor as it was slightly achey. On the road to recovery though i think. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

My hip is coming good! Had an MRI scan on Sunday and will have to wait 2 weeks for the result, but it feels like the hip flexor has reattached to the bone. I tested it out on Saturday with a fair bit of jogging, change of direction, a few box jumps, and it felt fine. Need to keep rehabbing to strengthen it as I did feel it on Sunday. Not pain, but just an awareness I have a hip flexor as it was slightly achey. On the road to recovery though i think. 

If I may offer old man advice, just make sure you rehab it properly before playing again. End of the season isn't that far away, so you'll likely be better letting it heal fully and getting a full pre-season in rather than rushing back in to try and play the last few games and then setting yourself back.

But that's great news 🙂

2 hours ago, Quark said:

If I may offer old man advice, just make sure you rehab it properly before playing again. End of the season isn't that far away, so you'll likely be better letting it heal fully and getting a full pre-season in rather than rushing back in to try and play the last few games and then setting yourself back.

But that's great news 🙂

I'm aiming for April, which will be 2 and a half months since I last played. The suggested lay off is 2-3 months, so will be splitting the difference. I tend to heal quicker (although I'm obviously getting older) than average. I won't push it if it's not ready, but equally I could do with the money from playing...! 

44 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I'm aiming for April, which will be 2 and a half months since I last played. The suggested lay off is 2-3 months, so will be splitting the difference. I tend to heal quicker (although I'm obviously getting older) than average. I won't push it if it's not ready, but equally I could do with the money from playing...! 

Get you with your match fees!  I count myself lucky to get some scran after the game 😂

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

Get you with your match fees!  I count myself lucky to get some scran after the game 😂

Oh I know I’m very fortunate! We don’t depend on the income but it all goes into a savings account which goes towards holidays et cetera so it would be nice to get it topped up a bit more before summer! 

Well, I can't believe it, first time I've entered since I ran it (good for my age) in 2012, only entered as by son in law entered, he also got in, 1st time of asking for him, shocked. Mind you, historically I have had a few rejections way back in the day. Summer training, that's going to be different 😎