Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

41 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

So I'm getting old.. 34 now and the end of my rugby playing days is hoving into view. 

tl;dr: my hip's fucked - I'm having to wait on it to heal - I'm finding it hard.

I've always struggled with muscular inflexibility and tightness, but have been blessed to have not missed a game through injury since around 2008 when I pulled a hamstring and was out for around 3 weeks. I've played c500 senior games since, roughly 400 of these being in the national leagues. 

But time is catching up, and in mid-October my hip flexor went while playing over on the South Coast in Sussex. I was in the defensive line and had to accelerate as the ball carrier attempted to take me on the outside. Normally no issue - I'm not the fastest but I'm pretty quick and have recorded a 100m time of 11s flat in the past. On this occasion, as I attempted to accelerate my left leg just went from under me, leaving me in a heap on the floor and the attacker in the clear. I got up and hobbled over to kick the ball into touch as we had won a penalty. As I stepped off my left to kick the leg again gave way and I shanked the kick horribly. 

Our physio advised rest, some stretching, and provided soft tissue massage . I dosed myself up the following week and somehow shuffled around the pitch, and did likewise up until Christmas, performing at about 70% of my normal performance while only being able to run at about 60% of my full speed. 

"I've got Christmas to rest up and heal I thought" and didn't play from December 18th to January 15th. I had Covid on boxing day and our game on Jan 8th was postponed because of Covid. By the time I played again it felt pretty good and the warm up went fine. Still not perfect but closer to 80% than 60. However,, 5 minutes in I had to over-accelerate and then quickly slam on the breaks and tackle on the wrong shoulder due to a defensive mis-read and mis-communication from a team mate and the hip-flexor went again. I dragged myself round the pitch for the remaining 75 minutes and again dosed up to fly out to the channel Islands for our game the following week. However, I was more noticeably struggling and the benefit of my experience (which had kept me out of trouble while playing injured up until now) wasn't enough to prevent that showing. As a result I've missed our recent trips to Kent and Essex. I can't help feel playing 11 games with a torn hip flexor wasn't the best way to manage the injury...

Around this time we got a new physio at the club and she has diagnosed a labral tear meaning, in layman's terms, the soft tissue and muscle around my hip joint has torn off the bone. I've received a letter booking in my MRI scan to confirm this next month. I'm also waiting on a cortisone injection into the hip to enable me to play on with the injury if I wish. 

It's a 4-6 week healing job, and another 4-6 weeks after that to strengthen the tissue to prevent it happening again. This is why I felt good after a 4 week break at Christmas, only for the injury to recur when I tried playing straight away. Long story short, I'm ruled out until roughly the end of March. Having almost entirely avoided significant injury (there's been plenty of stitches and glue in eyebrows, bruises, broken fingers and other niggles I can play on with) for the past 23 years I'm finding it difficult to manage not playing. I've missed three games so far, and on two of the weekends I've found myself thinking on Saturday morning, "is this really what people do with their Saturdays?" Retirement is going to be tough. 

/self-indulgent post

What about vets rugby, am sure that must be a thing. Vets football starts when you're 35 plus, so could be an option?

39 minutes ago, Homer said:

What about vets rugby, am sure that must be a thing. Vets football starts when you're 35 plus, so could be an option?

Yeah, vets rugby is officially the same age. You've generally got the option of playing official vets rugby as well as just playing for teams further down the club hierarchy  where it's a bit less intense.

Vets doesn't always equal easier mind. I went on our club's vets tour when I hit 35, a vets tournament in Malta. Our first game was against a Royal Marines team...they don't get any software after 35 🤪

Edited by Quark

I used to make a point of exercising three times a week. Then that went up to five. Then, once working from home became a regular thing, it went up to eight. And more recently I seem to have decided on 11. The amount of effort I have to put into not being obese is borderline ridiculous.

17 hours ago, SpencerF said:

Really need to get back into the health kick ahead of the festival this year. Lost 13st over the whole lockdown period in preparation for the festival coming back this year but have really been flagging recently - who wants to go to the gym after work or wake up before work to go? No one, shit's rough.

Good going on the weight loss - that's some serious timber shifted. Keep it up and you'll reap the benefits in June. Getting round site will be a lot easier without that weight on board. 

16 hours ago, Quark said:

If it helps to have the point of view of a slightly older and more damaged warhorse...

tl;dr: getting old and broken sucks but it's not as terrible as you first imagine.

I took  step back from first team rugby at about 32/33 after getting a run of injuries. Annoyingly it was during probably my best ever season in terms of performance, try scoring and all the rest of it. Came back from putting my back out in the gym, and my knee went in the first training session back. Not major, but enough to piss me off and close enough to the end of the season to call it for that year.

Decided to take a full season off as I'd been playing pretty much non-stop for 20 years at that point. Enjoyed the break tbh, gave me a chance to focus on healing a lot of the injuries that you just get used to playing through.

Came back after a season to second team rugby. At that point I'd decided that while I still wanted to play, the increased flexibility in my life (Friday nights, weekends away, that kind of thing) was more enjoyable to me than the 100& commitment of training and playing for 9 months of the year. Continued to enjoy playing at a reasonable intensity.

In the end I had to take a big step back as I was getting very odd symptoms with my sight every time I took a heavy hit or made a hefty tackle.  Involved MRI scans and all sorts, so a wee bit scary tbh. In the end they found nothing obviously wrong, but there was a reasonable amount of wear and tear in the optic nerves and the top of the spinal column from 25 years of abuse.

So the big thing for me was then deciding how to deal with it.  In the end I realised that I had to adjust my style of playing, as being a flanker turned centre I'd always played on the basis of zero regard for my own safety, and getting by on pure fitness and physicality (not being the most technically or tactically astute of players). So I started holding back on the tackles a bit, not sticking my head into as many rucks, and not trying to win every single contact at any cost. I've wound it back a bit further to playing 3rd team, and still enjoying it.

I'll be honest, that notion of how I used to play hasn't left me yet. I'm not as quick as I was and not as strong as I was.  I used to get picked for the 2s and initially 3s at 12 to lead the defensive line and generally smash (normally successfully) whatever big runner they figured they'd put down the channel (I've never been the biggest but always a LOT stronger than I looked). Can't do that so much any more.

So yeah, physically it sucks. Getting older sucks.  And I miss being what I used to be. But I also still enjoy playing. I enjoy not playing every game and being able to do stuff with Mrs Q or my mates at the weekends now. Or sometimes going out on a Friday, which I could never do as I never drank the night before a game. Turns out I quite like running and cycling, which I couldn't do as much before as Sundays were generally about recovery. And it's nice not using the summer just to try and fix all the things I broke last season before we started again.

Not playing every game at 100% isn't the same as retirement. Every club has its players who've gone through the mill of the 1st team and now play a bit less and a bit easier. I recognise that you probably define yourself a bit as "a rugby player". It's certainly what I did, and to a  point still do. But it's manageable. I enjoy the Saturdays when I'm not playing, and I really look forward to the weekends when I am

It's already getting easier to be fair. The first few weeks out have been shit, mainly because I've been waiting for the all clear - each week waiting to see if I can make it back for the next game. Now I have a clearer idea of the problem and a date for an MRI I'm more at peace with the idea of being out for a couple of months - but bear in mind it's Tuesday today - ask me again on Friday or Saturday morning. 

I am looking forward to reducing my commitment and having more time for social engagements, time with family etc, but I'm just not ready to do it yet. Aside from this hip injury, I still feel able to do everything I could when I was 21. I'm just as agile and almost as fast. We had a 50m race at the start of the season between all the back three players at the club, and I was equal first, despite being 16-years-older than some of the other competitors! 

I'm a bit like you in my attitude to playing - zero regard is the only way. I'm 6" and about 85kg/13st 5lbs so give away a lot in size to others. I'm generally one of the 4-5 smallest players on the pitch, with 2 of those being the scrum halves. However, I'm quite happy to carry straight at some 20st units and generally fair pretty well in contact because my technique is good, I have good footwork and I generate a lot of power - force = mass x speed! 

As you say though, injuries start to make you realise you're mortal... This hip injury is the first sign the end is coming (well, there's also the fact I played with the dads of three of our current team) and I'm beginning to accept that and think about how to manage the end. I certainly don't want to go out now - on the back of injury forcing it. 18 months out because of Covid and a shitter of a season for the club because of injury. Our club captain of 10-years, who is a really close mate, has just accepted he's done because his body is a wreck and he's been off work the last three weeks. I'm gutted for him - it's not the way to go. 

We have 22 players out at the moment and sent a team to Kent last week with 10 players under 22, three 18-year-olds and 6-7 players who realistically are second team through and through. We've won two games all season, and many of the ones we've lost I'm confident we'd have easily won with a full strength team. 

There's a league re-organisation next year so we will avoid relegation and stay in the national league, and the reconfiguration should mean we have a really good shot of a top half finish, maybe better if we avoid too many significant injuries to key players. We've also got plenty of miles in the legs of our youngsters this season, so they'll benefit from that next year. It would be good to finish on the back of a good year on my own terms. Maybe by this time next year I'll be ready for that. 

16 hours ago, Homer said:

Not ready for that yet. Like @Quark says, it starts at 35. I'm still playing national league at the moment, and consistently performing well, when not injured. I'm not ready to leave that level of competition behind and have a few targets. I want to hit 300 games for my current club for one, and I fancy another tilt at winning the Bill Beaumont Cup with the county side. A trip to play at Twickenham is one thing missing off my rugby resume. 

Once I hit 35 I will dabble in Vets rugby, and it will be enjoyable, but it's simply not the same level of competition. In Vets games you're not part of a team that's spent 8-9 months building a team structure etc, playing and training week in, week out, grinding out results in the shit, only for it all to come down to one play-off game, or the last five minutes of a 30 game season. It just doesn't mean the same.

I'll get involved in some invitational stuff as soon as possible for sure though - there's a tour to Bermuda I've got my eye on. An ex-team-mate who played professionally has ended up working in marketing for a Prem club and is basically a full time alickadoo. I'm hoping to use his connections to get on a paid for two-week all inclusive trip to the Caribbean! 

2 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Good going on the weight loss - that's some serious timber shifted. Keep it up and you'll reap the benefits in June. Getting round site will be a lot easier without that weight on board. 

It's already getting easier to be fair. The first few weeks out have been shit, mainly because I've been waiting for the all clear - each week waiting to see if I can make it back for the next game. Now I have a clearer idea of the problem and a date for an MRI I'm more at peace with the idea of being out for a couple of months - but bear in mind it's Tuesday today - ask me again on Friday or Saturday morning. 

I am looking forward to reducing my commitment and having more time for social engagements, time with family etc, but I'm just not ready to do it yet. Aside from this hip injury, I still feel able to do everything I could when I was 21. I'm just as agile and almost as fast. We had a 50m race at the start of the season between all the back three players at the club, and I was equal first, despite being 16-years-older than some of the other competitors! 

I'm a bit like you in my attitude to playing - zero regard is the only way. I'm 6" and about 85kg/13st 5lbs so give away a lot in size to others. I'm generally one of the 4-5 smallest players on the pitch, with 2 of those being the scrum halves. However, I'm quite happy to carry straight at some 20st units and generally fair pretty well in contact because my technique is good, I have good footwork and I generate a lot of power - force = mass x speed! 

As you say though, injuries start to make you realise you're mortal... This hip injury is the first sign the end is coming (well, there's also the fact I played with the dads of three of our current team) and I'm beginning to accept that and think about how to manage the end. I certainly don't want to go out now - on the back of injury forcing it. 18 months out because of Covid and a shitter of a season for the club because of injury. Our club captain of 10-years, who is a really close mate, has just accepted he's done because his body is a wreck and he's been off work the last three weeks. I'm gutted for him - it's not the way to go. 

We have 22 players out at the moment and sent a team to Kent last week with 10 players under 22, three 18-year-olds and 6-7 players who realistically are second team through and through. We've won two games all season, and many of the ones we've lost I'm confident we'd have easily won with a full strength team. 

There's a league re-organisation next year so we will avoid relegation and stay in the national league, and the reconfiguration should mean we have a really good shot of a top half finish, maybe better if we avoid too many significant injuries to key players. We've also got plenty of miles in the legs of our youngsters this season, so they'll benefit from that next year. It would be good to finish on the back of a good year on my own terms. Maybe by this time next year I'll be ready for that. 

Not ready for that yet. Like @Quark says, it starts at 35. I'm still playing national league at the moment, and consistently performing well, when not injured. I'm not ready to leave that level of competition behind and have a few targets. I want to hit 300 games for my current club for one, and I fancy another tilt at winning the Bill Beaumont Cup with the county side. A trip to play at Twickenham is one thing missing off my rugby resume. 

Once I hit 35 I will dabble in Vets rugby, and it will be enjoyable, but it's simply not the same level of competition. In Vets games you're not part of a team that's spent 8-9 months building a team structure etc, playing and training week in, week out, grinding out results in the shit, only for it all to come down to one play-off game, or the last five minutes of a 30 game season. It just doesn't mean the same.

I'll get involved in some invitational stuff as soon as possible for sure though - there's a tour to Bermuda I've got my eye on. An ex-team-mate who played professionally has ended up working in marketing for a Prem club and is basically a full time alickadoo. I'm hoping to use his connections to get on a paid for two-week all inclusive trip to the Caribbean! 

Yeah, sounds like we're of a similar build and mentality, just that you're a lot better at it than I was 😂

No need to wind it down right now obvs, sounds like you've definitely got a decent few seasons left in you yet so long as you rehab properly. Just don't let yourself start getting down about it just yet; it's a ways off and when it does come there's ways to manage it so it's not as horrible as you think it's going to be right now.

22 hours ago, blutarsky said:

So I'm getting old.. 34 now and the end of my rugby playing days is hoving into view. 

tl;dr: my hip's fucked - I'm having to wait on it to heal - I'm finding it hard.

I've always struggled with muscular inflexibility and tightness, but have been blessed to have not missed a game through injury since around 2008 when I pulled a hamstring and was out for around 3 weeks. I've played c500 senior games since, roughly 400 of these being in the national leagues. 

But time is catching up, and in mid-October my hip flexor went while playing over on the South Coast in Sussex. I was in the defensive line and had to accelerate as the ball carrier attempted to take me on the outside. Normally no issue - I'm not the fastest but I'm pretty quick and have recorded a 100m time of 11s flat in the past. On this occasion, as I attempted to accelerate my left leg just went from under me, leaving me in a heap on the floor and the attacker in the clear. I got up and hobbled over to kick the ball into touch as we had won a penalty. As I stepped off my left to kick the leg again gave way and I shanked the kick horribly. 

Our physio advised rest, some stretching, and provided soft tissue massage . I dosed myself up the following week and somehow shuffled around the pitch, and did likewise up until Christmas, performing at about 70% of my normal performance while only being able to run at about 60% of my full speed. 

"I've got Christmas to rest up and heal I thought" and didn't play from December 18th to January 15th. I had Covid on boxing day and our game on Jan 8th was postponed because of Covid. By the time I played again it felt pretty good and the warm up went fine. Still not perfect but closer to 80% than 60. However,, 5 minutes in I had to over-accelerate and then quickly slam on the breaks and tackle on the wrong shoulder due to a defensive mis-read and mis-communication from a team mate and the hip-flexor went again. I dragged myself round the pitch for the remaining 75 minutes and again dosed up to fly out to the channel Islands for our game the following week. However, I was more noticeably struggling and the benefit of my experience (which had kept me out of trouble while playing injured up until now) wasn't enough to prevent that showing. As a result I've missed our recent trips to Kent and Essex. I can't help feel playing 11 games with a torn hip flexor wasn't the best way to manage the injury...

Around this time we got a new physio at the club and she has diagnosed a labral tear meaning, in layman's terms, the soft tissue and muscle around my hip joint has torn off the bone. I've received a letter booking in my MRI scan to confirm this next month. I'm also waiting on a cortisone injection into the hip to enable me to play on with the injury if I wish. 

It's a 4-6 week healing job, and another 4-6 weeks after that to strengthen the tissue to prevent it happening again. This is why I felt good after a 4 week break at Christmas, only for the injury to recur when I tried playing straight away. Long story short, I'm ruled out until roughly the end of March. Having almost entirely avoided significant injury (there's been plenty of stitches and glue in eyebrows, bruises, broken fingers and other niggles I can play on with) for the past 23 years I'm finding it difficult to manage not playing. I've missed three games so far, and on two of the weekends I've found myself thinking on Saturday morning, "is this really what people do with their Saturdays?" Retirement is going to be tough. 

/self-indulgent post

Just have kids mate, then you never get to have a Saturday again.

On 2/15/2022 at 11:10 AM, JoeyT said:

Controversial question I know (due to the aspersions cast at running on a treadmill) but does anyone know of any decent things to watch on youtube which come in at about an hour?

Something to while the time away...

I am training for a race in the mountains so am doing a fair bit of incline treadmill work.  I often watch 40 minute - 1 hr - 2hr videos to pass the time.  My favourites include: 

- Unbreakable (film about the 2010 Western States - best running move ever imo)

- Where Dreams Go To Die (video about Gary Robbins’ 2016 and 2017 Barkley Marathons attempts)

- Out There - A Journey to the Barkley Marathons (Karel Sabbe’s 2019 Barkley attempt, and also stuff on his PCT and AT records)

- Life in a Day (This is Billy Yang’s film about the 2016 Western States)

- Long Shorts (Newish film from Salomon on Courtney Daulwater and Francois D’Haene’s races last year at Hard Rock and UTMB)

- Totally FKT (This you would have to buy from Amazon prime but it’s great. It’s about John Kelly and Damien Hall’s record attempts in 2020 on the Pennine Way.  Their attempts were one week apart). 

- Running the Wainwrights (Paul Tierney’s record breaking run of all of the Wainwright’s in the Lake District - his record has since been broken by Sabrina Verjee)

- Run Forever (film about Nicky Spinks’ double Bob Graham round)

- The Runner (David Horton’s PCT record run from back in 2005)

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2022 at 2:22 PM, Wanderlei said:

Need to exercise my back a bit before June. Going with a baby for the first time, and I'm feeling it after a short sling walk at the moment...and they're getting bigger by the day! 😬

It's all about the Dad muscles! 😉

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2022 at 3:28 PM, Padgey said:

It's all about the Dad muscles! 😉

Amen. 
Carried Baby Blutarsky in her buggy up a flight of at least a hundred steps outside Newquay aquarium on Monday. Was knackered by the top - out of breath and calves cramping. I am out of shape! 

On 2/14/2022 at 9:05 AM, Quark said:

9183, in the pink start pen for 2:15 - 2:29 estimate.  Put in for a slower ETA than usual as we're just out to enjoy it rather than push a time, but will see how it feels once we start moving!

My number is 4760, which puts me in the yellow pen for 1:45-1:59. My PB is 1:53, but that feels massively optimistic compared to when I signed up a year or two ago so planning to drop back a pen or two. Probably into the pink one as Mrs J is starting from there I believe.

Will keep an eye out for you.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

My number is 4760, which puts me in the yellow pen for 1:45-1:59. My PB is 1:53, but that feels massively optimistic compared to when I signed up a year or two ago so planning to drop back a pen or two. Probably into the pink one as Mrs J is starting from there I believe.

Will keep an eye out for you.

Duly noted.  We're aiming to get down to the zone for 7:45 - 8:00 and mill around for an hour.  Too much time for me personally, but I'd rather that than be charging around like an idiot if I'm running late!

Pretty much identical PB to me!  Not sure what pace my brother has been training at, my only worry with a slow run is that if it's too far below my natural pace then I tend to put everything through my achilles and end up crippled by the end of it.

Weather looks almost perfect though, sunny but pretty chilly and just a bit of breeze to deal with. I'll take that any day of the week.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Duly noted.  We're aiming to get down to the zone for 7:45 - 8:00 and mill around for an hour.  Too much time for me personally, but I'd rather that than be charging around like an idiot if I'm running late!

Pretty much identical PB to me!  Not sure what pace my brother has been training at, my only worry with a slow run is that if it's too far below my natural pace then I tend to put everything through my achilles and end up crippled by the end of it.

Weather looks almost perfect though, sunny but pretty chilly and just a bit of breeze to deal with. I'll take that any day of the week.

Sounds perfect in terms of conditions, just glad it wasn't this weekend just gone.

Mrs J's parents live in Seaford so planning to come down Saturday, stay the night then drive over in the morning (saw that the train station is offering free parking) so will park there and aim to get down to the start for 8.30ish. I actually hate going into the pens until the last possible second, I'm always a bundle of nervous energy before a race and prefer to not be around loads of people.

Will keep an eye out for you though...

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Sounds perfect in terms of conditions, just glad it wasn't this weekend just gone.

Mrs J's parents live in Seaford so planning to come down Saturday, stay the night then drive over in the morning (saw that the train station is offering free parking) so will park there and aim to get down to the start for 8.30ish. I actually hate going into the pens until the last possible second, I'm always a bundle of nervous energy before a race and prefer to not be around loads of people.

Will keep an eye out for you though...

I was playing in that last weekend. Not a great day to be a winger...

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I think we won by a boat's length.

31-5 actually. Weather settled down after about 30 mins. 

Result. Guessing the pitch held up ok too. Ours did not. Lads were covered head to foot coming off. Our previous groundsman chucked loads of sand over the pitch in the last 2-3 years and has clogged the expensively installed drainage system 🙄 

1 minute ago, blutarsky said:

Result. Guessing the pitch held up ok too. Ours did not. Lads were covered head to foot coming off. Our previous groundsman chucked loads of sand over the pitch in the last 2-3 years and has clogged the expensively installed drainage system 🙄 

Are you playing at my club?  We played on our old 1st team pitch, which has been superseded by a very nice all weather pitch, and it was in a worse condition than I ever remember playing on it.  Sandy as feck. Don't think it helps that we've also lost our old groundsman, and I reckon the new pitch next to it has had some effect.

It held up OK in terms of churning up, but lots of standing water where it never used to be. Washing machine has taken out a restraining order against me.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Are you playing at my club?  We played on our old 1st team pitch, which has been superseded by a very nice all weather pitch, and it was in a worse condition than I ever remember playing on it.  Sandy as feck. Don't think it helps that we've also lost our old groundsman, and I reckon the new pitch next to it has had some effect.

It held up OK in terms of churning up, but lots of standing water where it never used to be. Washing machine has taken out a restraining order against me.

No artificial pitch at our place thank god. Hate them. 
we can get the drainage unblocked but it won’t be until summer and will be expensive. I helped clear debris from a fallen tree off the pitch on Saturday morning and it made me feel glad I’m injured! 

Just now, blutarsky said:

No artificial pitch at our place thank god. Hate them. 
we can get the drainage unblocked but it won’t be until summer and will be expensive. I helped clear debris from a fallen tree off the pitch on Saturday morning and it made me feel glad I’m injured! 

I quite like them, suit me as a winger but I know they aren't everyone's cuppa.

I did think about our conversation the other week about age and injury catching up on Saturday; hacked a loose ball through from halfway, thought I was clear for the try as I was overtaken by an 18 year old fullback for the goal line dropout. Bastard 😂

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I quite like them, suit me as a winger but I know they aren't everyone's cuppa.

I did think about our conversation the other week about age and injury catching up on Saturday; hacked a loose ball through from halfway, thought I was clear for the try as I was overtaken by an 18 year old fullback for the goal line dropout. Bastard 😂

Fucking kids!