Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

4 hours ago, Superscally said:

Hey guys, if anyone wants to read a cool article on the Gump run, there's a peach in today's Observer Magazine 😍😍😍

P.s. Well done on the P.B's @Ryan1984 and @faymondo

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/oct/31/the-real-life-forrest-gump-why-did-bob-pope-run-across-the-us-five-times

• 1 month later...

Got a garmin for Christmas, never had one before, normally just put my kit on and go for a plod.

Anyhow, took it for a 5 mile spin this morning, blow away the Christmas day cobwebs before doing it all again later today. Clocked a few seconds shy of 38 mins, which considering age, shabbyness, terrain (a few gentle hills and mud) i was pleasantly surprised.

Points in the bag for this afternoon's shenanigans.

Have a great day all, its a beauty out there here in Devon today, enjoy 

5 minutes ago, oneeye said:

Got a garmin for Christmas, never had one before, normally just put my kit on and go for a plod.

Anyhow, took it for a 5 mile spin this morning, blow away the Christmas day cobwebs before doing it all again later today. Clocked a few seconds shy of 38 mins, which considering age, shabbyness, terrain (a few gentle hills and mud) i was pleasantly surprised.

Points in the bag for this afternoon's shenanigans.

Have a great day all, its a beauty out there here in Devon today, enjoy 

Garmins are great. I love my garmin.

Got out for 14miles this morning, and that along with a dog walk means I am done.

19 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Anyone struggled with IT Band syndrome and have any tips with overcoming it?

I’ve entered the Ultra Trail Snowdonia (50k version) in July next year. Looking forward to getting back to some proper running in the new year!

My husband had it started a few weeks before he was due to run the Great North Run. He had a lot of physio and did a lot of stretching exercises himself to get through it. 

Well this year has been a horrendous year on the fitness front for me. Going to aim for better next year. Back to square one but on the positive side I've been here before and gotten fitter so fingers crossed I can again. 

On 12/30/2021 at 3:56 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

Anyone struggled with IT Band syndrome and have any tips with overcoming it?

I’ve entered the Ultra Trail Snowdonia (50k version) in July next year. Looking forward to getting back to some proper running in the new year!

IT band syndrome is often a beginner's growing pain that people pay too much attention to and IF you catch it early enough you can run through it. Key thing is (as has been mentioned) is to try and strengthen your glutes and TRY (easier said than done) to stretch the ITB/TFL and as long as your pain doesn't go beyond a 3/10 and isn't increasing steadily, you can carry on running. If it does, rest from running, find an exercise that doesn't upset it and keep up with the other stuff. 

Just returned from my first run of 2022 and this is so sad but I’m absolutely buzzing as I’ve managed to go sub 50mins (49:59 😂) for 10km.

First time I’ve done that in at least 2/3 years and still 10 mins slower than my 40:08 in early 2018 but the endorphins are well and truly flowing!

Should probably caveat this by saying in between 2018 and now I’ve put on about 10kg which explains the slowdown.

Mission to drop to below 80kgs now in play.

Edited by JoeyT
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the tips on the IT band issues above guys! 

2 hours ago, Woffy said:

How did you get on with this @lessthanwill1?

Let us know.

Thanks - I think my post on this wasn’t recovered after the site went down!

I finished!  Finished 82nd out 350 odd people who entered.  Took 12 hours 15 minutes.  Throughly enjoyed it!  

However, I have been struggling with some knee and IT Band issues following the run. I think this is largely due to body mechanics as I am so unbelievably tight in my hip/hamstrings/glutes and I think I am now paying the price.  Have been stretching and strengthening those areas with the help of a physio over the last few weeks and seem to be making some progress.  Should hopefully be back to normal in Feb and able to start training for the Ultra Trail Snowdonia 50k, which is in July.

Edited by lessthanwill1

I'm kind of training for Manchester marathon in April...will see how it goes. Have also entered Trafford 10k in March, may enter Wilmslow 10k later in March. Have been doing a lot of running over this winter so far though, 60+ mi/week...but no fast stuff, just miles...which is what I like. I did some interval things today which I really don't like..1. because it hurts, and 2. because I feel silly.

34 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

currently have self diagnosed plantar fascilitis .... so im having issues walking on hard services particularly ... nightmare ... just seen I need to contact doctor cos of my Diabetes ... wish me luck with that one 😞 

ooof...I suffered from plantar fasciitis for ages...can take a long time to recover, avoid walking without shoes (I wear crocs round house), and do some of the stretching stuff you find online, but best thing is just allow it to recover I reckon.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

ooof...I suffered from plantar fasciitis for ages...can take a long time to recover, avoid walking without shoes (I wear crocs round house), and do some of the stretching stuff you find online, but best thing is just allow it to recover I reckon.

yeah I suffered it about 10 years ago ... ive seen that swimming is good ( although im holding off that because pool will be stupidly busy + omni ..... )  Ive just got a tennis ball for stretching and will dig out my shoe insoles 

55 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

currently have self diagnosed plantar fascilitis .... so im having issues walking on hard services particularly ... nightmare ... just seen I need to contact doctor cos of my Diabetes ... wish me luck with that one 😞 

Oh shit, that can hurt - my sister had it a couple of years ago. She ended up having to get special insoles for her shoes.