Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

52 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Managed 3:10. Early miles too fast, blew up at mile 20, last few miles were a world of pain. Rookie mistake. Crowds were great.

Bad luck; guess you were targeting sub 3? Is that still a GFA for VLM next time?

12 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Bad luck; guess you were targeting sub 3? Is that still a GFA for VLM next time?

Well, not really...I had kind of written off sub 3 as my training and recent races showed that I wasn't there...but I still managed to run sub 3 pace in the early miles, probably because I was surrounded by people running at 3hour pace. The actual plan was run 7ishmin/mi pace, and mainly just get sub 3:15 as that could get me a GFA for London, so happy with my time. But, just wish I hadn't been so silly in first half of race and then would have enjoyed the 2nd half a bit more.

Edited by steviewevie

What a fantastic day. Crowd were absolutely amazing throughout.

Finished in 4.38 which I’ll take for a first marathon, despite being 20 mins slower than I was aiming for. 

Was going really well until mile 17 then back started spasming uncontrollably so was in a bit of bother until mile 22, then managed to kick on. 

Main thing was finishing though. 

A friend and I managed to raise over 5k for Cancer Research, so happy with that too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

What a fantastic day. Crowd were absolutely amazing throughout.

Finished in 4.38 which I’ll take for a first marathon, despite being 20 mins slower than I was aiming for. 

Was going really well until mile 17 then back started spasming uncontrollably so was in a bit of bother until mile 22, then managed to kick on. 

Main thing was finishing though. 

A friend and I managed to raise over 5k for Cancer Research, so happy with that too.

Well done!  A great time for a first marathon and massive respect for raising so much money! 

6 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Well, not really...I had kind of written off sub 3 as my training and recent races showed that I wasn't there...but I still managed to run sub 3 pace in the early miles, probably because I was surrounded by people running at 3hour pace. The actual plan was run 7ishmin/mi pace, and mainly just get sub 3:15 as that could get me a GFA for London, so happy with my time. But, just wish I hadn't been so silly in first half of race and then would have enjoyed the 2nd half a bit more.

I would have done exactly  the same haha! Remember training to run sub 2:50, 2012/13 I think, and I sat next to the 2:45 pacer in the restaurant the night before. Got sucked into that conversation and dropped off the group at Tower Bridge and suffered my way to a 2:57 I think.

Well done everyone on your achievements yesterday, some cracking times posted by all. It was a great day wasn't it. Our daughter, who is a plodder not a runner, managed to get round her 1st marathon in 6 hours. Cheering her down the home straight was magic. Hope the legs aren't too sore this morning, up and down those stairs is always the test. Have a great day all xx

Edited by oneeye

24 minutes ago, oneeye said:

Well done everyone on your achievements yesterday, some cracking times posted by all. It was a great day wasn't it. Our daughter, who is a plodder not a runner, managed to get round her 1st marathon in 6 hours. Cheering her down the home straight was magic. Hope the legs aren't too sore this morning, up and down those stairs is always the test. Have a great day all xx

well done to your daughter.

Yes, DOMS kicking in nicely. I signed up for Manchester marathon next spring a few weeks ago, but now thinking maybe not. Marathons are hard, too hard for poor old steviewevie, half marathons much more civilised.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yes, DOMS kicking in nicely. I signed up for Manchester marathon next spring a few weeks ago, but now thinking maybe not. Marathons are hard, too hard for poor old steviewevie, half marathons much more civilised.

Agreed 

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

well done to your daughter.

(whispers) trail marathons are the way forward

• Like 1

Try findarace.com dude.

It's a pretty good resource.

My favourites, all local(ish) to me of course, are pretty much the ones i've done / am doing this year:

Beachy Head Marathon - brilliant event and course. one of the most popular trail marathons in the country

Andover / Salisbury Trail Marathons

Winchester Big Way Round 50k - 2021 was it's inaugural year

I've also done Lulworth Cove 50k (my first ever race of any kind) which was BRUTAL! 🙂

21 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Try findarace.com dude.

It's a pretty good resource.

My favourites, all local(ish) to me of course, are pretty much the ones i've done / am doing this year:

Beachy Head Marathon - brilliant event and course. one of the most popular trail marathons in the country

Andover / Salisbury Trail Marathons

Winchester Big Way Round 50k - 2021 was it's inaugural year

I've also done Lulworth Cove 50k (my first ever race of any kind) which was BRUTAL! 🙂

thanks

On 10/8/2021 at 12:35 PM, Woffy said:

Just realised:

Only 6 days to go until this epic ultra running masterpiece is released from eFest’s very own @Superscally

https://www.waterstones.com/book/becoming-forrest/rob-pope/9780008472511

E36E978E-D7E9-4C71-A496-863C79A63D98.jpeg

No likes? No upvotes? Scoundrels. Reckon you need to post this in the main forum mate. What do you mean this isn't a direct message? Ah shi...

😜😘

On 10/8/2021 at 6:39 PM, deebeedoobee said:

Grave had mine on order for awhile. Looking forward to reading this epic tale.

😍 That's what we're talking about!! 

On 10/8/2021 at 6:41 PM, deebeedoobee said:

Madness , I say total madness. What’s the reason/ charity/ thinking/ sod it, why just why would you!!!!

Ha! Was a celebration of the Gump run, with the idea to run until I was pretty tired and I'd go home. That happened after 42 hours without sleep!! I tagged a fundraiser on afterwards as a few people asked if I was and I thought "why not?" For my USA heroes, Peace Direct and the WWF.

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-display/showROFundraiserPage?pageId=1321110 (If anyone won the Euromillions tonight, or found 50p in an old jacket)

On 10/9/2021 at 7:24 AM, John the Moth said:

image.gif.11a2391deaace00473d961c4b1194c21.gif

My feeling when I saw the hill at Sutton Manor...

Some Strava fun:

Screenshot_20211012-223658_Strava.jpg

IMG_20211012_225131.jpg

IMG_20211012_225203.jpg

IMG_20211012_225248.jpg

IMG_20211012_225329.jpg

Screenshot_20211012-224931_Strava.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

14 hours ago, Superscally said:

No likes? No upvotes? Scoundrels. Reckon you need to post this in the main forum mate. What do you mean this isn't a direct message? Ah shi...

😜😘

😍 That's what we're talking about!! 

Ha! Was a celebration of the Gump run, with the idea to run until I was pretty tired and I'd go home. That happened after 42 hours without sleep!! I tagged a fundraiser on afterwards as a few people asked if I was and I thought "why not?" For my USA heroes, Peace Direct and the WWF.

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-display/showROFundraiserPage?pageId=1321110 (If anyone won the Euromillions tonight, or found 50p in an old jacket)

My feeling when I saw the hill at Sutton Manor...

Some Strava fun:

Screenshot_20211012-223658_Strava.jpg

IMG_20211012_225131.jpg

IMG_20211012_225203.jpg

IMG_20211012_225248.jpg

IMG_20211012_225329.jpg

Screenshot_20211012-224931_Strava.jpg

woah...so...ok...hold on....sorry, bit new here....you are Rob Pope?

How are we all feeling post Marathon? 

All good?

Minimal DOMS here now, should be reet in a day or two. 

Already thinking about the next one!

Loose plan is.....

Improve 10k time over the rest of this year and Jan.

Then aim for a faster half March/April. 

Then another marathon next Sept/October.

12 hours ago, nikkic said:

How are we all feeling post Marathon? 

All good?

Minimal DOMS here now, should be reet in a day or two. 

Already thinking about the next one!

Loose plan is.....

Improve 10k time over the rest of this year and Jan.

Then aim for a faster half March/April. 

Then another marathon next Sept/October.

Slowly recovering. Don't think I'll be doing any running until next week, and will be keeping it real easy for a while. Have rushed back too quickly in the past and picked up injuries, so definitely giving the legs an extra rest this time. As for a plan, only race I have signed up for is Manchester marathon in April, but not sure whether I'll do it, I could defer or transfer to the half in the autumn, or I could try and get a sub3 there! If I don't do it then I'll probably do a few halfs in the spring and maybe another in the autumn. I love running, not a great fan of races but I like to have a few in there as something to aim for.

Edited by steviewevie