Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

14 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Thanks. Think it's the easing back will be the answer. Until the last couple of years of jumping from one injury to the next I was running everyday, 3-4000 miles/year. I've recently managed to string a few 40 mile weeks together by just running 3 to 5 times and this has been ok; be good to get up to 50 to 70 later this year. 2 recent festivals and catching covid stalled my recovery but think I may be good to go again this week.

I'm kind of on my way back after a few years off with plantar fasciitis. A really frustrating injury, I would start running again and then it would flare up once more and I'd have to stop for a few months waiting for the pain to go. Hopefully it's gone now, but I've definitely lost some pace and not sure I'll get it back, but just glad to be able to run again really.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I'm kind of on my way back after a few years off with plantar fasciitis. A really frustrating injury, I would start running again and then it would flare up once more and I'd have to stop for a few months waiting for the pain to go. Hopefully it's gone now, but I've definitely lost some pace and not sure I'll get it back, but just glad to be able to run again really.

Sounds very similar to me; I know pf can hang around and know runners who had to quit and took up cycling. I kept resting my calf issue and then tried to make a comeback which only lasted a few days, so I'd rest for longer; 4/5 weeks, then try again. Eventually after at least 18 months I managed to enter a couple of short 5/6km races and did parkrun with no reaction which has given me some confidence to press on...then covid 😉 Not sure how old you are but at my age the fitness takes much longer to return and I can't even run a 5 min interval at my 2018 marathon pace. Sounds like you're going well and good luck for your marathon.

9 hours ago, SighMo said:

Sounds very similar to me; I know pf can hang around and know runners who had to quit and took up cycling. I kept resting my calf issue and then tried to make a comeback which only lasted a few days, so I'd rest for longer; 4/5 weeks, then try again. Eventually after at least 18 months I managed to enter a couple of short 5/6km races and did parkrun with no reaction which has given me some confidence to press on...then covid 😉 Not sure how old you are but at my age the fitness takes much longer to return and I can't even run a 5 min interval at my 2018 marathon pace. Sounds like you're going well and good luck for your marathon.

Cheers. I'm 51....so in the slippery slope. Good luck to you too.

3 hours ago, John the Moth said:

It's an interesting one isn't it.

Surely there's an argument (albeit unpopular) to say he's not entered in to the half marathon race so shouldn't have been given the victory?!

6 hours ago, JoeyT said:

It's an interesting one isn't it.

Surely there's an argument (albeit unpopular) to say he's not entered in to the half marathon race so shouldn't have been given the victory?!

I thought it might head this way… he’s been DQ’d

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-58623893?fbclid=IwAR2RLXpFOg25R654gGF-inU7S34irDWSA8UoL-1_GyqhAuobjqn8FvZorF0

18 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

A shame, I do wonder how well it was marshalled and sign posted as there was obviously room for confusion. I do see the other side though, and rules are rules, but event organisers should maybe shoulder some responsibility for the error. Fortunately I've never, and will never be leading a race to have to make those kind of decisions, just follow the person in front and try to keep up 🏃‍♂️ 

37 minutes ago, oneeye said:

A shame, I do wonder how well it was marshalled and sign posted as there was obviously room for confusion. I do see the other side though, and rules are rules, but event organisers should maybe shoulder some responsibility for the error. Fortunately I've never, and will never be leading a race to have to make those kind of decisions, just follow the person in front and try to keep up 🏃‍♂️ 

A chap I work with (absolutely rapid runner so started at the front) did the 10k (36 mins!) and said that the chap in question arrived to the start late and therefore didn't hear the announcement regarding stay left for the 10km course and continue straight on for the half marathon.

Doesn't excuse the marshalling / signage though as you'd think in itself it would be sufficient for stuff like this not to happen.

38 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

A chap I work with (absolutely rapid runner so started at the front) did the 10k (36 mins!) and said that the chap in question arrived to the start late and therefore didn't hear the announcement regarding stay left for the 10km course and continue straight on for the half marathon.

Doesn't excuse the marshalling / signage though as you'd think in itself it would be sufficient for stuff like this not to happen.

Lessons learnt all round I reckon 

Good luck to those running marathons in the next few weeks. 

Here’s a great podcast on Tapering in the ultra running context but I think the principles can be applied to marathon training as well.

I have 5 more weeks of training before my taper, which I’m already looking forward to! 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/13kk0ptkv5guHxtnyNBN3H?si=GJHuClR-Q463esBAg5fO2w&dl_branch=1

Edited by lessthanwill1

21 hours ago, oneeye said:

I got lost during Andover Trail Marathon.

Which is VERY well sign posted and marshalled.

And it's my local marathon.

Along routes i regularly run.

And i've run it three times before!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂 

1 hour ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I ran the Bristol half, and the signage and marshalling directing runners right and left for 10k and Half was pretty clear, unless you were completely zoned out I don’t know how you’d miss it.

You say that but i was leading this year's Salisbury Plain Marathon at one point, which was a first.

Unfortunately it was only for about the first 10 metres due to being a turn up and run at any time between 8 and 8.30am!

On 9/19/2021 at 10:55 PM, Superscally said:

Hey guys. Anyone in the north (or fancies travel) fancy forming support crew in the early hours of possibly 9/10 October, maybe week after? Attempt on parkrunning across the country one weekend?

Sadly outside of my sphere of influence up there, but good luck!

Back at training last night and the gut strain seems to have finally decided to loosen itself up. Not perfect as it's noticeable this morning, but not enough to be an issue. Probably going to give it one more week before I make myself available to play, but at least I can start running again now.

Legs are knackered though, decided that I needed to give myself a kick up the arse so did the 20km ride each way to training and back with an hour's rugby in between. Was blowing a bit on the final stretch home 😄

20 hours ago, nikkic said:

Ran 21 miles yesterday, just under 3.30.

First 15/16 were solid. 

Then the legs started to go a bit, crawled the last 3 miles! 

Stairs are a big issue and have a little numbness in 2 toes, my body is very much looking forward to this taper! 

Well done!!! All you people posting these amazing times...i dunno!

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Sickening innit?

Very. 🙂

I've gone from being a non-runner who saw people out running and thought, "Ugh. WTF are they doing?! Awful people!"

To being a runner and seeing people out running who are proper runners and thinking, "Ugh. How TF do they go that quickly?! Awful people!"

And now find myself going to a Mountain and Running Festival...to run...and realising, "Oh my god, I'm a complete w*nker! How did this happen???!!!***"

😆🤣😂

***I squarely blame @Superscally, just for the record.

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Very. 🙂

I've gone from being a non-runner who saw people out running and thought, "Ugh. WTF are they doing?! Awful people!"

To being a runner and seeing people out running who are proper runners and thinking, "Ugh. How TF do they go that quickly?! Awful people!"

And now find myself going to a Mountain and Running Festival...to run...and realising, "Oh my god, I'm a complete w*nker! How did this happen???!!!***"

😆🤣😂

See, the trick is to do what I did and make peace with being a w*nker before looking at the wider world. Then it's just an incremental increase in my level of w*nkiness rather than the shock of starting from scratch.

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

See, the trick is to do what I did and make peace with being a w*nker before looking at the wider world. Then it's just an incremental increase in my level of w*nkiness rather than the shock of starting from scratch.

I see.

Like this?

image.png.db65152231b923bac3b69068fc987109.png

• Like 2

On 9/21/2021 at 12:55 PM, nikkic said:

Ran 21 miles yesterday, just under 3.30.

First 15/16 were solid. 

Then the legs started to go a bit, crawled the last 3 miles! 

Stairs are a big issue and have a little numbness in 2 toes, my body is very much looking forward to this taper! 

Well done there nikkic

5 hours ago, Woffy said:

Very. 🙂

😆🤣😂

I simultaneously shoulder and deny the blame.

• Upvote 1