Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

On 9/12/2021 at 12:54 PM, steviewevie said:

Hello. Managed 1:26:26 at Wilmslow half this morning. Followed 1:25 pacer from start but they went off way too fast first few miles, maybe compensating for the hills in the 2nd half of the race. Anyway, those early quick miles killed me a bit, and then the hills later on killed me even more. To some people they probably are more like bumps in the road, but to me who normally runs around flat S Manc they felt like mountains. Anyway, reasonably happy with that, and I think is realistic of where I am, and sub 3:10 is a realistic goal for Manchester marathon next month.

Speedy!! Well done and good luck with the marathon.

21 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

I’ve decided to get back into triathlon and been speaking to a coach today. 

first objective is to complete one, as the last one attempted ended with a major police incident with the air ambulance. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/road-closed-police-investigation-launched-1587996.amp

the man was only discovered when I crashed and landed next to him. 

My ultimate aim is to do an ironman and have wanted to do a triathlon for many years. This has never been helped by not having a bike although that's about to change as I've signed up to the cycle to work scheme so should hopefully get my voucher for that through in the next week or so.

I'm certainly not the fastest swimmer but fortunately that's at the start of a tri so I can get it out of the way.

Did you follow a specific training program previously?

I think the one thing i'll struggle with in training is time as it's obviously quite time consuming and that's not great with a young family!

I did my own thing really I was riding 200 miles a week, as I was riding to and from work. Then doing a Sunday ride. 

running I just built up the distance over time. I had some swimming lessons but again that was more about practice. Also open water swimming and pool swimming are completely different so do as much open water as possible. 

the biggest benefit that helped me was having a pt once a week for strength and conditioning. 

You can do a lot of training early mornings. Start off doing an Olympic distance non of the separation items should be longer than 2 hours so that will give you a good training block. 

Finally got a full week of training in, gym work and cardio, after suffering from a chest infection for the last 3 1/2 weeks.  Finsihed antibiotics 2 weeks ago and still struggling slightly with recovery but glad to be getting back into routine and programme.

20 hours ago, nikkic said:

Ticked off 19 miles on Monday. 

21 miles planned for early next week, then the taper begins. 

Few aches and pains here and there so lots of stretching and foam rolling going on.

How are my fellow Manchester marathon peeps getting on? 

Good stuff, well done.
I have a 20 miles planned tomorrow and then my taper begins also. I am very achy. Have been in a constant state of achiness the last few weeks.

On 9/14/2021 at 7:06 AM, Greenelk said:

Thank you for this.  I've got till the night before to defer, but I'm not sure I've got the mental capacity to go through the training again, as this would be my second deferral after the second ankle break (Covid put pay to it happening anyway, but I'd already deferred before that).  I'm struggling with the mental side of the training, yet I found running the proper half far easier, and actually pretty much enjoyed doing it, with a much more positive mindset.

I had a bit of a moment last night, where I read something from a seasoned runner that echoed your words above, and I felt really positive that I can do this.  The pain is already considerably less than a couple of days ago and I'm continuing to ice, and the physio should happen this week.

If I do find nearer the time the pain is still too much, I will defer, but I'm feeling hopeful that I can get there, and reading the 20 miles is a psychological thing has given me another boost.  I know I had many miles left in the tank at the end of the half, and I'm also not afraid to walk when I need to.  With no time pressure on myself other than the cut off, I know I've got it in me.

So thanks once again for the advice, it's just what I needed and has really helped.

No problems!! Good luck!! 

On 9/14/2021 at 1:38 PM, Woffy said:

As a - now - Southerner - I returned to the place of my birth and childhood and went to Keswick Mountain Festival at the weekend. Amazing!

Did the Adidas Terrex 25km Trail Half Marathon (actually 16 miles) - a large HILLLLLYYYY loop of Derwent Water. Very technical trails - stony, cobbly, loose slate, mud, boulder filled streams, the odd fell. Perfect stuff. 'Proper' running, especially given the running history of the town.

The HM was interesting, beautiful and tough - everything i'm not!

'Potential' time for the leisurely / casual runner was suggested at 3.5 hours. Managed it in 3h20m - so i was pleased with that. Might've been quicker but i HAD to keep stopping to take photos!

Absolutely fantastic festival (music was a bit ropey, but that wasn't really the point) - highly recommend. TONNES of different events too, inc. open water swimming, triathlon, ultra - all of which start and finish IN the festival - so the support and atmosphere was incredible.

Also, the penultimate mile or so of the running events took you through the town where the locals were all clapping and cheering - even for the duffers like me.

The 10k runs (about 4!) were point to point - but they ferried the runners across Derwent Water and then they run back. Awesome.

Highly recommend.

#prayforgreenelksgroin 🙏

Does sound groovy... Well done! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

can you take me seriousy pleaase, I am an athlete.

Going out to run around in the rain now.

🤣 enjoy. I plan to get out later for a plod, lovely morning out there here in the South West. Guessing its almost tapering time for all you London / Manchester Marathon runners, all the hard work just about done, good stuff 👍 

39 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Some of it is in the mind, for sure, but certainly not all of it.

Mind, legs and lungs, in no particular order, so long as you can hold all 3 together you're laughing. Just the 8 miles for me this morning, not done any structured training for about 9 years now, more a case of keeping the legs ticking over. I don't run with a watch anymore either,  which I've found to be liberating. If my body holds up and I stay fit and healthy, I still fancy 1 more marathon in 3 years time, a new good for your age cat (I'll be 60). Depending on travel I may even make it a special one, if anyone has any suggestions based on previous expenses I'm all ears. 

1 hour ago, oneeye said:

Mind, legs and lungs, in no particular order, so long as you can hold all 3 together you're laughing. Just the 8 miles for me this morning, not done any structured training for about 9 years now, more a case of keeping the legs ticking over. I don't run with a watch anymore either,  which I've found to be liberating. If my body holds up and I stay fit and healthy, I still fancy 1 more marathon in 3 years time, a new good for your age cat (I'll be 60). Depending on travel I may even make it a special one, if anyone has any suggestions based on previous expenses I'm all ears. 

Trail rather than road, and definitely not flat, but Beachy Head Marathon is an absolute blast. Beautiful route too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oneeye said:

Only marathon I've done abroad is Paris, and that is really nice and pretty easy to get in, or at least it used to be. I'd love to do Berlin, Rome and New York, maybe one day. I hear a lot of good things about loch Ness marathon too 

@Woffy @steviewevie Thanks, (run out if votes). Rome stands out, though Berlin in a fast course and tempting, New York can very much be weather dependent temperature wise, and as for Beachy Head... I'm sure it is lovely but not so sure I'd want to sign up to such punishment. I've done Trailwalker and the Grizzly some years ago, not something I'd necessarily do again at my stage of life, both excellent events btw. Thanks both for some ideas, much appreciated 

Edited by oneeye

14 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Well it was a lot warmer than I would have liked, but I managed to get round the Bristol Half. Although it was a PB I still didn’t manage to come in under 1 hr 50 mins like I wanted, happy with 1:52 though, always next time.

Well done there tcb,  PB is a PB, you should be rightly well chuffed. It's been a number of years since I ran the Bristol half, but remember it as a great course, passing under the suspension bridge, my PB course also. You will break 1 50 eventually, just need all stars to be aligned; good stuff 👍 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Only marathon I've done abroad is Paris, and that is really nice and pretty easy to get in, or at least it used to be. I'd love to do Berlin, Rome and New York, maybe one day. I hear a lot of good things about loch Ness marathon too 

Just stumbled across this thread and see you mention doing Berlin. You should enter; I did it in 2015. Really wide streets with long straight sections; definitely a pb course. And the city is ace; really need to go back one day. 55 now and haven't managed to get in shape for a decent mara for a couple of years now as I keep getting calf problems.

7 minutes ago, SighMo said:

55 now and haven't managed to get in shape for a decent mara for a couple of years now as I keep getting calf problems.

Compression socks are your friend, I'm a couple of years ahead of you, calf muscles became an issue a few years ago, a bloody pain, literally. Socks sorted me, and easing back a tad, finally realising my own limitations so to speak. Hope you find what works for you, Berlin could be the one for me then in 3 years, a great way to celebrate 60 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, oneeye said:

Compression socks are your friend, I'm a couple of years ahead of you, calf muscles became an issue a few years ago, a bloody pain, literally. Socks sorted me, and easing back a tad, finally realising my own limitations so to speak. Hope you find what works for you, Berlin could be the one for me then in 3 years, a great way to celebrate 60 

Thanks. Think it's the easing back will be the answer. Until the last couple of years of jumping from one injury to the next I was running everyday, 3-4000 miles/year. I've recently managed to string a few 40 mile weeks together by just running 3 to 5 times and this has been ok; be good to get up to 50 to 70 later this year. 2 recent festivals and catching covid stalled my recovery but think I may be good to go again this week.