Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

Did the Vitality Big Half in London today.  Enjoyed the first 7-8 miles of the route (Tower Bridge - Canary Wharf - Tower Bridge) but after that it felt a bit nothingy till we got to Greenwich and the Cutty Sark at the end.  Another good step to being ready for the full thing in October, but the thought of doing that twice a bit scary.  I know on Marathon day the route will be much busier and that did help at the points it got busy today.  Let's see how my various aches feel tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

Did Andover Trail Marathon yesterday.

4:50:30

Not bad for a slow old plodder like me.

Pretty hilly too.

It's my 'home town' trail marathon and it's the third time i've done it. Which makes it even more baffling that i managed to get lost.

Actually ran 27.2 miles. What a tit.

#technicallyanultramarathon

• Upvote 5

54 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Pretty hilly too.

It's my 'home town' trail marathon and it's the third time i've done it. Which makes it even more baffling that i managed to get lost.

Well done!

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I’m doing the virtual London marathon on Oct 3rd.

Did a 10 mile run Saturday (longest run in about 2 - 3 years)

So 4 weeks to get up to 26 miles…

Stupid or smart?

😬

Someone told me recently "fitness is all in the mind" 

But seriously, I reckon it's doable just be sure to take breaks and keep stretching sure you'll smash it. 

1 hour ago, Kalopsia said:

Someone told me recently "fitness is all in the mind" 

But seriously, I reckon it's doable just be sure to take breaks and keep stretching sure you'll smash it. 

I’m a firm believer in that myself.

I once did an ultra marathon having never ran further than a half marathon.

Also did it in brand new Solomon trail running trainers & having not even thought about a nutrition strategy.

Put a fair few myths to bed that day.

13 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I’m doing the virtual London marathon on Oct 3rd.

Did a 10 mile run Saturday (longest run in about 2 - 3 years)

So 4 weeks to get up to 26 miles…

Stupid or smart?

😬

Certainly not smart. You don't have 4 weeks, you've got two at most as you would normally taper with two weeks to go. You won't gain significant useful speed or fitness in those two weeks. However...it's not stupid either. As long as you don't have any major injury issues you should be fine. Just don't expect to pull up trees, be prepared for it to be tough and ensure you take a gel every 15 mins as you won't have anywhere near enough muscle glycogen to run the whole way without getting into negative energy balance. If you're happy with walking some, you probably won't need to be as diligent on the fuelling. If you're not looking for a time, I'd say just chill out and enjoy it and the crowds. If you're looking for a time, I'd say just chill out and enjoy it and the crowds. 😘

Good luck!

59 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

How these virtual race things work anyway? Easy to cheat, right?!

I think (still waiting on details from VLM) that you download an app which is then used to track you? I'm hoping it runs in the background as it'll be pretty lonely without music / podcasts etc!

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Certainly not smart. You don't have 4 weeks, you've got two at most as you would normally taper with two weeks to go. You won't gain significant useful speed or fitness in those two weeks. However...it's not stupid either. As long as you don't have any major injury issues you should be fine. Just don't expect to pull up trees, be prepared for it to be tough and ensure you take a gel every 15 mins as you won't have anywhere near enough muscle glycogen to run the whole way without getting into negative energy balance. If you're happy with walking some, you probably won't need to be as diligent on the fuelling. If you're not looking for a time, I'd say just chill out and enjoy it and the crowds. If you're looking for a time, I'd say just chill out and enjoy it and the crowds. 😘

Good luck!

Thanks! I gave up on being smart a while ago!

As you say, i'm not particularly bothered about time and expecting to be between the 9-10min mile range throughout.

I'm going to do the Bath > Bristol cycle track which is 13 miles (open invitation for anyone who lives local to join me for all / part) so will double back on myself to make the distance. It's pretty flat throughout and although lots of people seem to think that's boring, I actually prefer it to roads. In fact I'm the sort of weirdo who enjoys treadmill running which I know isn't most folk's cup of tea.

4 hours ago, Superscally said:

Good luck!

Sound advice from an expert!

Although if @JoeyT can yomp off his nut to the car park on completely the wrong side of Glastonbury festival and then yomp back to where he's supposed to be, in one evening, in the dark, then i definitely reckon he's got the minerals to finish LM! 😉

Dragged my fat arse out on the bike last night for the first ride this year. Not as bad as I expected tbh.

Running is buggered at the moment. The muscular pull in my gut from rugby a few weeks ago had eased off so went back to training last week, obviously still not right as it aggravated it all over again. Not back to square one, but certainly not right.  As it flares up when I run that's ruled out the local half at the end of the month and the Paras10 run at the start of Oct 😞

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

Oooo, month to go.

How's the training going? Only a few weeks left when you include a decent taper!

Training is going ok...sort of. Had a terrible long run yesterday where I tried to put in some marathon pace miles, but apart from that going ok. Got a half marathon this weekend, so I'll see how that goes. Still not sure on a target, sub 3 might be a stretch too far, sub 3:15 more realistic.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Training is going ok...sort of. Had a terrible long run yesterday where I tried to put in some marathon pace miles, but apart from that going ok. Got a half marathon this weekend, so I'll see how that goes. Still not sure on a target, sub 3 might be a stretch too far, sub 3:15 more realistic.

Hey, get the crappy runs out of the way - they're all good practise for the main event remember.

Wow. 3:15 would still be amazing!

Makes me feel like a snail!

You're a 'proper' runner! 🙂

After 15 very good weeks of training, the past week has been a bit shit.

Recurrence of an old ankle injury and a bug meant I've only run once in that time. 

Seeing a physio on Friday, hoping he can patch me together so I can do a few more long runs before the marathon (I'm up to 17 miles so far).

Target of sub 4 will be tough now, but it's my first one so even finishing will be a decent effort. 

23 hours ago, Woffy said:

Pretty hilly too.

Nice work mate, that's superb.

What would be advise for a taper for a half marathon?

I have Bristol Half on Sept 19th, I did a 18km on Sunday and a 10km last night, I was intending to do two more 10km’s this week and a 16km on Sunday, then perhaps one, possibly two, 5kms next week. Am I overdoing it or slowing too soon?

Edited by The Clearest Blue

53 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

What would be advise for a taper for a half marathon?

I have Bristol Half on Sept 19th, I did a 18km on Sunday and a 10km last night, I was intending to do two more 10km’s this week and a 16km on Sunday, then perhaps one, possibly two, 5kms next week. Am I overdoing it or slowing too soon?

Depends on how much running you've been doing during full training, but that sounds about right to me.

On 9/7/2021 at 12:26 PM, Woffy said:

Sound advice from an expert!

Although if @JoeyT can yomp off his nut to the car park on completely the wrong side of Glastonbury festival and then yomp back to where he's supposed to be, in one evening, in the dark, then i definitely reckon he's got the minerals to finish LM! 😉

Agreed! On the second bit, obviously...

On 9/6/2021 at 4:09 PM, Woffy said:

Pretty hilly too.

Well done fella!