Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

25 minutes ago, Quark said:

First deadlifts in a while tonight. Thankfully all felt pretty stable, but had to swallow the ego and go for lower weights than I'd have liked. Just got to chip away at it again!

That sucks. It’s the worse feeling in the world having to lower your weights.

After a year+ of working on my sofa instead of a proper chair in the office my back has been playing up and I’ve had to take breaks from free weights a couple of times which ended up with me losing a bit of strength. However I kept myself motivated and pushed myself back to the same weights I use to lift.

38 minutes ago, jump said:

That sucks. It’s the worse feeling in the world having to lower your weights.

After a year+ of working on my sofa instead of a proper chair in the office my back has been playing up and I’ve had to take breaks from free weights a couple of times which ended up with me losing a bit of strength. However I kept myself motivated and pushed myself back to the same weights I use to lift.

Oh yeah it'll all come back, it's just consistency. Good thing is that I've done so much rehab work over the years coming back from various injuries that I got used to dropping the weights ages ago 😄

16 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Thanks! Good luck with the Ultra, hope training goes well 🙂

Sorry Woffy, I'm not sure what you mean? 🙂

No worries. Ignore me. Was getting confused between users and who was doing which ultra.

I'll go back to sleep or the book thread!!!

On 8/10/2021 at 12:54 PM, steviewevie said:

Did some intervals this morning, 6x800m. Always feel silly doing this sort of shit so found somewhere as secluded as possible 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Ran 22mi this morning and I'm flipping flapjacked now.

Nice work 

We've been allowed back to play five aside football the last few weeks. First week was torture, was really sunny day and hall was boiling. Starting to get a bit easier after a few weeks back.

Tried to go swimming today as I'd like to do more non impact exercise as have had a fair few knee injuries over the years through football and feel like I don't have long left playing. 

Unfortunately local swimming baths only taking bookings in advance just now, which wasn't really obvious from their website. So drove there, paid 10p for parking, then had to drive straight back home.

Have booked for tomorrow morning, but could only get booked in medium speed lane, which I'm a bit worried about as my swimming technique isn't the best and I'd much rather be in the slow lane.

15 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

We've been allowed back to play five aside football the last few weeks. First week was torture, was really sunny day and hall was boiling. Starting to get a bit easier after a few weeks back.

Tried to go swimming today as I'd like to do more non impact exercise as have had a fair few knee injuries over the years through football and feel like I don't have long left playing. 

Unfortunately local swimming baths only taking bookings in advance just now, which wasn't really obvious from their website. So drove there, paid 10p for parking, then had to drive straight back home.

Have booked for tomorrow morning, but could only get booked in medium speed lane, which I'm a bit worried about as my swimming technique isn't the best and I'd much rather be in the slow lane.

That’s odd as ours have returned to normal council run ones and my gym too  … however it’s better for you to be in a slower lane … as it’s more of a pain overtaking slow swimmers than being overtaken by faster ones 

22 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I reckon have a word with lifeguard when get there to see if you can use slower lane.

Question for the runners out there. Anyone ever pulled / strained something in the lower abs, more likely from sprinting than jogging?

Never had it before but it started after rugby last week, calmed down over the weekend but running again at training on Tuesday has flared it up again. Not a day to day problem, but noticeable as soon as I start running and sneezing is bloody uncomfortable!

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Question for the runners out there. Anyone ever pulled / strained something in the lower abs, more likely from sprinting than jogging?

Never had it before but it started after rugby last week, calmed down over the weekend but running again at training on Tuesday has flared it up again. Not a day to day problem, but noticeable as soon as I start running and sneezing is bloody uncomfortable!

Hernia?

1 hour ago, pilton digger said:

Hernia?

That was my initial worry, but the way it calmed (and has subsequently calmed) post-training suggested more of a strain-type thingy. Can't find any lumps and not particularly sore to the touch, but something to keep in mind 👍

Anyone have issues with Strava last night?

Seems there was an 'outage' and it went offline for a bit.

It disconnected the link to/from my Garmin and it's absolutely refusing to upload last night's run.

Tried all the troubleshooting tips and it's just not having it. It'll upload a 'fake' run i can do now.

Annoying.

Got Salisbury Plain Marathon to come last in on Sunday and i'm a bit paranoid it's gonna lose my data again. And after heaving myself round the middle of a barren featureless desert for christ knows how many hours because i'm not match fit i'd like to be able to look back on it and analyse how shit i was.

Edited by Woffy

15 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Anyone have issues with Strava last night?

Seems there was an 'outage' and it went offline for a bit.

It disconnected the link to/from my Garmin and it's absolutely refusing to upload last night's run.

Tried all the troubleshooting tips and it's just not having it. It'll upload a 'fake' run i can do now.

Annoying.

Got Salisbury Plain Marathon to come last in on Sunday and i'm a bit paranoid it's gonna lose my data again. And after heaving myself round the middle of a barren featureless desert for christ knows how many hours because i'm not match fit i'd like to be able to look back on it and analyse how shit i was.

can't you just upload to Garmin connect?

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Good luck for Sunday btw. Are they staggering the start to reduce numbers or anything? You carb loading?

actually, just looked it up..it's a trail marathon and won't have loads there will it?
Only asking as Manchester is staggering the start based on estimated finish time...and when I first entered back in 2019 I was quite a bit quicker than I am now!

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

actually, just looked it up..it's a trail marathon and won't have loads there will it?
Only asking as Manchester is staggering the start based on estimated finish time...and when I first entered back in 2019 I was quite a bit quicker than I am now!

I think about 250 are doing the marathon distance - which is a lot for that event and the small company that does it. People are gagging for races due to the pandemic. To be honest i see the same people at Salisbury, Andover and Beachy Head...and at this year's inaugural Winchester BigWayRound50k! 

Andover Trail Events - now Run on Trails (think he's merged with another company - have been doing less a staggered start, more a turn up between 8am and 9am and just set off. They asked for the quicker runners to turn up first to reduce over taking but last years events were quite relaxed. (I'll set off at 8:59:59!).

Beachy Head 2020 (amazed it got the go ahead) was far stricter at the start with people kept in holding pens away from the start, told to stand by a cone on the ground and organised by their self-predicted finish time.

RE: your final point - we all get slower with age...and i only started running in 2018 and i'm 47 now. So i started slow and now i'm really slow! 🙂

Edit: oh, and thanks! I'm just gonna trot round gently with lots of snacks and enjoy it. If i do it in 5.5 hours i'll be delighted!

Edited by Woffy

5hrs3mins to finish Salisbury Plain Marathon.

Happy with that considering i'd barely trained. Hilly AF and hot and humid too.

With hindsight, should've got in in under 5 hours but i wasn't really keeping an eye on time and wasn't too bothered tbh. Enjoyed having a chat at aid stations and stopped with 5k to go to help a lady in distress, who had contrived to pull BOTH calf muscles! (how does that happen???!!!)

One down, two to go:

Andover Trail Marathon - Sept.

Beachy Head - Oct.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3