Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

• 2 weeks later...

Just signed up for my third Beachy Head Marathon. Highly recommend. One of the most popular trail marathons in the country. And sausage rolls at one of the checkpoints. 

Less than 250 places left. Get in there people. It’s a stunning route. 

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Great time @Kalopsia !

I’ve had a couple weeks off running due to holidays but am now back on it with 3 months to go until my first ultra marathon (50 miles).  Hoping to gradually build up towards 70-80ish miles a week over the next few months. 

Which Ultra you doing? I keep thinking I should have a go at one... but bit scared. Thinking maybe attempting something next year...maybe Manchester to Liverpool.

44 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Which Ultra you doing? I keep thinking I should have a go at one... but bit scared. Thinking maybe attempting something next year...maybe Manchester to Liverpool.

Yes @Kalopsia - which one?!

@steviewevie - just go for it! Sign up and let fear and excitement be the motivator! The first race i ever ran ('ran'! trudged, hiked, ran a bit) was the Lulworth Cove 50k. Nearly killed me but what a great experience. 9h8m!!! Felt more like climbing! Should've chosen better really! So, yeah: dive in! 

Where are you in the world?

Edit - Doh. I'm assuming NW. I'm in Hampshire and there's loads round here, some very doable. Did the inaugural Winchester BigWayRound 50 a few month back. Lovely course and great for a first time, i reckon. Although i proceeded to injure myself halfway round due to clumsiness.

Edited by Woffy

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

Yes @Kalopsia - which one?!

@steviewevie - just go for it! Sign up and let fear and excitement be the motivator! The first race i ever ran ('ran'! trudged, hiked, ran a bit) was the Lulworth Cove 50k. Nearly killed me but what a great experience. 9h8m!!! Felt more like climbing! Should've chosen better really! So, yeah: dive in! 

Where are you in the world?

Manchester.

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

Oh, that's a shame.

The runultra website is usually pretty good for finding local ones. I might have a nosey on there myself now, just because...

yeah...there is this in April...

https://www.gbultras.com/liverpool-to-manchester-ultra/

50mi though...that's a long way...Or I could travel and go to one of the more bigger, popular ones...but some look pretty hardcore!

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

It’s the Wendover Woods 50.  Organised by Centurion who put on quite a lot of the most popular U.K. ultras.  It’s 5 10-mile loops of a pretty small but hilly wood.  It’s 3000 metres / 10,000 ft in total of elevation gain.

Manchester to Liverpool looks good. I’ve considered that one as well as it runs right by my in-laws house along the trans-pennine way.  Looks like a good first ultra to me!

57 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

It’s the Wendover Woods 50.  Organised by Centurion who put on quite a lot of the most popular U.K. ultras.  It’s 5 10-mile loops of a pretty small but hilly wood.  It’s 3000 metres / 10,000 ft in total of elevation gain.

Manchester to Liverpool looks good. I’ve considered that one as well as it runs right by my in-laws house along the trans-pennine way.  Looks like a good first ultra to me!

What sort of training do you do? Lots of long runs with practising taking on food and drink as you go? What sort of food do you eat, gels and stuff, or real food?

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

What sort of training do you do? Lots of long runs with practising taking on food and drink as you go? What sort of food do you eat, gels and stuff, or real food?

Most of my runs are in the 8-14k range at a very easy pace (according to my heart rate).  Maybe once a week I’ll do a harder one with some fast repeats or hill sprints.  I’ve also mapped a course in my area that matches the same average elevation gain as the race I’m doing over a 5 mile loop so I try to do that quite often as well. 

On the weekends I try to do a longer one in the region of 25-30k with some hills.  I’m aiming to build that up slowly over the next few weeks and peak early/middle October with a couple of 50ks and also one or two weekends where I do a 20-25 k run on both the Saturday and Sunday.

On the longer runs I do carry a small pack with a litre of water and usually a few snacks.  I still need to experiment with what food works best but I usually rely on “real” food like fruit and a peanut butter sandwich.  I also like energy bars like Tribe or Cliff Bars.  I haven’t tried using gels actually but plan to see if that works better or not over the next few months. 

Edited by lessthanwill1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Most of my runs are in the 8-14k range at a very easy pace (according to my heart rate).  Maybe once a week I’ll do a harder one with some fast repeats or hill sprints.  I’ve also mapped a course in my area that matches the same average elevation gain as the race I’m doing over a 5 mile loop so I try to do that quite often as well. 

On the weekends I try to do a longer one in the region of 25-30k with some hills.  I’m aiming to build that up slowly over the next few weeks and peak early/middle October with a couple of 50ks and also one or two weekends where I do a 20-25 k run on both the Saturday and Sunday.

On the longer runs I do carry a small pack with a litre of water and usually a few snacks.  I still need to experiment with what food works best but I usually rely on “real” food like fruit and a peanut butter sandwich.  I also like energy bars like Tribe or Cliff Bars.  I haven’t tried using gels actually but plan to see if that works better or not over the next few months. 

kind of similar to my marathon training...although longest run I'm planning on doing is 22mi (35k). In actual marathon races I always use gels, but for ultras I wouldn't really like to be taking gels all the way. I guess you need to get used to running with a backpack thing too. Is Wendover Woods 50 one of those where the route is easy, or will there be some orienteering involved?

41 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

kind of similar to my marathon training...although longest run I'm planning on doing is 22mi (35k). In actual marathon races I always use gels, but for ultras I wouldn't really like to be taking gels all the way. I guess you need to get used to running with a backpack thing too. Is Wendover Woods 50 one of those where the route is easy, or will there be some orienteering involved?

Yeah I did a marathon earlier this year and training is largely the same but with more of a focus on running on trails and getting a lot more elevation change.

The route is marked so it will be very easy to follow I expect. Some of it will be in the dark but I’m told it’s still very easy to navigate - I expect the markings glow in the dark or something.  I hope to different types of ultras in the future where you have to navigate as well but thought I’d choose a marked one for my first one!

2 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Yeah I did a marathon earlier this year and training is largely the same but with more of a focus on running on trails and getting a lot more elevation change.

The route is marked so it will be very easy to follow I expect. Some of it will be in the dark but I’m told it’s still very easy to navigate - I expect the markings glow in the dark or something.  I hope to different types of ultras in the future where you have to navigate as well but thought I’d choose a marked one for my first one!

cool. Will be very interested in how you get on.