Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

13 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

I've got that movie running style down! Lovely to have a fun (but slightly competitive) run! 

FB_IMG_1627141652571.jpg

Great action phot, focused 😊 good luck with the tri training, never done one myself, swimming has always put me off and I think you need a half decent bike to do yourself justice.

25 minutes ago, oneeye said:

Great action phot, focused 😊 good luck with the tri training, never done one myself, swimming has always put me off and I think you need a half decent bike to do yourself justice.

Thanks! It's the first time I've seen a picture of myself running haha. 

I'm yet to purchase my bike of choice (putting it off really as I'm stingy lol) you're right though the swimming is so hard, used to love it as a kid but now I find it really quite panic inducing. Here's hoping I just make a good account of myself when the time comes 🙂

11 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Thanks! It's the first time I've seen a picture of myself running haha. 

I'm yet to purchase my bike of choice (putting it off really as I'm stingy lol) you're right though the swimming is so hard, used to love it as a kid but now I find it really quite panic inducing. Here's hoping I just make a good account of myself when the time comes 🙂

I'm sure you will, and of course whatever the outcome it'll be a PB, main thing is you enjoy the moment, but you already know that 😎 looking forward to some swimming and cycling action phots 😄

37 minutes ago, oneeye said:

I'm sure you will, and of course whatever the outcome it'll be a PB, main thing is you enjoy the moment, but you already know that 😎 looking forward to some swimming and cycling action phots 😄

That's a great point! It's untrodden ground so just finishing is something. 

I'll have to hire a photographer to follow my training 😂😂 (I jest I'm camera shy) 

On 7/23/2021 at 8:57 AM, Ryan1984 said:

parkrun is back tomorrow (my local one isn’t due to an event on the grounds but the next closest one is). Anyone getting back to it?

If I may, bloody brilliant to be back at parkrun. I have been stuck on 94 and soo looking forward to getting to 100 and that black shirt. Me and the good lady like to tourist run (50 and counting) but yesterday was about supporting our local run in Preston. Love it.

I've done double exercise the last three days in a row, I've not a had a drink for 8 days and I've not had a rest day since Monday (and I've done cardio minimum every day).

I'm sat on the sofa drinking rum and coke listening to whisky in the jar.

Edited by Homer

Monday: Right getting my arse in gear and back into this.  Hit the gym, reduced my rest period between sets and introducing supersets to keep the intensity up, and upped the weights to start properly challenging myself. Came out sweating and feeling like I'd really done some decent work, ready for the next session on Tuesday.

Tuesday: You must now self-isolate for 5 days

FFS 😂

Edited by Quark

Just now, Kalopsia said:

I don't have a clue I'm afraid😂 I know the brand is Giant and it's an aluminium frame, with the one gear lever instead of two. 

That's some solid levels of detail!

Put it this way. A Giant Contend is their entry level road bike, and that's about £750 upwards.

Specialized's entry bike is the Allez and they're about £800 ( I bought mine in 2011 for £500)

So depending on what the spec and condition is, about £425 wouldn't be too bad. Is it online or from a shop?

Before you get into buying, I'd have a think about what you want from it.  Are you going to be looking to do a lot of hill climbing, sprints, time trials, triathlons or whatever?  I'm guessing that you're not going to be after a high end bike for competitive riding, but if you spending £500 or more then it's worth giving it a decent bit of thought.

Wiggle is a good place to start https://guides.wiggle.co.uk/road-bike-buying-guide

2 hours ago, Quark said:

That's some solid levels of detail!

Put it this way. A Giant Contend is their entry level road bike, and that's about £750 upwards.

Specialized's entry bike is the Allez and they're about £800 ( I bought mine in 2011 for £500)

So depending on what the spec and condition is, about £425 wouldn't be too bad. Is it online or from a shop?

Before you get into buying, I'd have a think about what you want from it.  Are you going to be looking to do a lot of hill climbing, sprints, time trials, triathlons or whatever?  I'm guessing that you're not going to be after a high end bike for competitive riding, but if you spending £500 or more then it's worth giving it a decent bit of thought.

Wiggle is a good place to start https://guides.wiggle.co.uk/road-bike-buying-guide

It's from a local shop, they've checked the bike over and say it's in really good condition so it should be a good starter for me. 

Something to train with and potentially race with next year. Mainly road racing, triathlons etc. 

Thanks for the heads up with Wiggle! I'll check it out. 

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

What colour is it?

Like a metallic grey. 

21 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

It's from a local shop, they've checked the bike over and say it's in really good condition so it should be a good starter for me. 

Something to train with and potentially race with next year. Mainly road racing, triathlons etc. 

Thanks for the heads up with Wiggle! I'll check it out. 

Ok, that sounds a bit safer than buying off Ebay or something! 😄

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Ok, that sounds a bit safer than buying off Ebay or something! 😄

The shops called "ride it" it's got a great local reputation. Bloody migraine is stopping my training at the moment, really hoping to running to the next level but this isn't helping.