Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

19 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

Thanks.  Yes, think the carb loading is part of the problem, as haven't been doing that up till now, as doing a 10k didn't have this effect, but now I know what my limits seem to be, I can address that before I do the longer runs.

I'm sure there are plenty on here who can help you out. A flapjack before a run or honey on toast can be a good option. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

Thanks.  Yes, think the carb loading is part of the problem, as haven't been doing that up till now, as doing a 10k didn't have this effect, but now I know what my limits seem to be, I can address that before I do the longer runs.

You won’t need to carb load for anything below 60-90 mins usually. 

Best thing to do is to start testing things out on longer runs. 

Start taking extra carbs in the 1-2 days before hand. 

It varies from person to person in the amount you need, so worth playing around with, but as a guide you’ll need roughly 3.5-5.5g of carbs per lb of body weight. 

Also need to ensure fibre isn’t too high or you make experience issues 💩 

Flapjacks, hot cross buns, fruit juice, Haribo are the sorts of things I’ll be using. 

• Upvote 1

Well, im off  to the Farm next week volunteering with WaterAid and have just had a Friday to Monday away on a campsite at an (almost) festival and drank an absolute shit load in 80 degree heat watching bands and dancing for the sheer thrill of dancing in a field.

Back in work now and feel solid so by that measure in itself i have ascertained that my "Fitness" for Glasto 2021 is peaking just when i need it to.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:24 PM, steviewevie said:

Me too.

Running about 60mi/wk now...not really liking running in this hot weather though.

60 miles per week is impressive, guessing you're going for a decent time?!

Ran a half yesterday, was pretty comfortable, deffo lots more in the tank, which is just as well as the long runs ramp up over the next 3 weeks. 

• Like 1

Not managed a run out this week, too hot. Hopefully get out for a leg stretch come the weekend. I'm glad my marathon training days are behind me (I think), though winter training was always my forte, with London being around April time. These days I just keep the legs ticking over, no more chasing PBs 😄Good luck everyone on here who have challenges coming up, we will be in Manchester in October to cheer our daughter (and by then her husband) on in their 1st marathon - training plan is going well.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:24 PM, steviewevie said:

Me too.

Running about 60mi/wk now...not really liking running in this hot weather though.

Impressive mileage, I only ever peaked at around 30 - 35 miles in a week back when I trained seriously,  maybe why i never quite broke that magical 3 hr marathon barrier (got 'close' a few times, but no cigar). 

27 minutes ago, nikkic said:

60 miles per week is impressive, guessing you're going for a decent time?!

Ran a half yesterday, was pretty comfortable, deffo lots more in the tank, which is just as well as the long runs ramp up over the next 3 weeks. 

Yeah, I run a lot, and have ran 10 marathons in the past. Got into running in my late 30s, midlife crisis and all that.  Not sure about time, maybe try and go for a sub 3. I did manage to just sneak under 2:45 about 5 years ago now, I guess that was my peak as never quite managed that again although got pretty close a few times. Last marathon was London in 2019 which was a hot one and nearly killed me! I was aiming for about 2:50 in that one but slowed badly in last few miles and I think came in about 3:05. In that one I felt like I hit the wall...just totally ran out of energy. Since then I got various injuries, the worst being plantar fasciitis which takes ages to heal, but last year or so slowly getting back into it. Bit older now too, over 50, so, thinking anything under 3:15 would be good, and would get me a GFA for London. But, yes, more mileage the better for faster times, but more mileage and more risk of injury, so it's always a balance. For a little while I was doing 100 mi/wk, but not sure it helped really, just felt wiped out all the time. So, you have to find sweet spot, what works for you, how much time and effort you want to give up for it. I always use training plans from Pfitzinger and Douglas, has a mix of plans, but min mileage plan in there is 55/wk. At moment I'm kind of following their 55-70 plan. I am planning on getting up dead early tomorrow and running 21mi. Bit nervous, furthest I've ran in ages, and I'm shit in hot weather.

If this your first marathon?

37 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, I run a lot, and have ran 10 marathons in the past. Got into running in my late 30s, midlife crisis and all that.  Not sure about time, maybe try and go for a sub 3. I did manage to just sneak under 2:45 about 5 years ago now, I guess that was my peak as never quite managed that again although got pretty close a few times. Last marathon was London in 2019 which was a hot one and nearly killed me! I was aiming for about 2:50 in that one but slowed badly in last few miles and I think came in about 3:05. In that one I felt like I hit the wall...just totally ran out of energy. Since then I got various injuries, the worst being plantar fasciitis which takes ages to heal, but last year or so slowly getting back into it. Bit older now too, over 50, so, thinking anything under 3:15 would be good, and would get me a GFA for London. But, yes, more mileage the better for faster times, but more mileage and more risk of injury, so it's always a balance. For a little while I was doing 100 mi/wk, but not sure it helped really, just felt wiped out all the time. So, you have to find sweet spot, what works for you, how much time and effort you want to give up for it. I always use training plans from Pfitzinger and Douglas, has a mix of plans, but min mileage plan in there is 55/wk. At moment I'm kind of following their 55-70 plan. I am planning on getting up dead early tomorrow and running 21mi. Bit nervous, furthest I've ran in ages, and I'm shit in hot weather.

You're pretty much cut and paste with me, started running at 30, got hooked. Got in London a couple of times GFA (sub 3:15) but now got to manage my body, calf muscles especially. I have also suffered plantar injuries, which as you say takes ages to overcome. Age catches us all in the end 😊

Been walking lots, but haven't run since right at the start of lockdown. Thought I'd go my normal walking route and just do a mixture of walking and running. Never really got above a slow jog and couldn't even sustain that for long. Embarrassingly out of shape. Scary how quickly you can lose all cardiovascular fitness.

Can't wait till we're till I'm able to play five aside football again(think the rules allow it now but the council hall we play in doesn't seem to have reopened since lockdown) as that was always my weekly exercise. Never felt like a chore because I enjoyed playing, but always pushed myself hard as I'm quite competitive. Just can't get into any other form of exercise in the same way. Hopefully do a bit of walk/running to get my fitness up before then

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

parkrun is back tomorrow (my local one isn’t due to an event on the grounds but the next closest one is). Anyone getting back to it?

I'll be taking part in my first parkrun tomorrow morning and I'm quite excited! Looking forward to putting down a good time (around the 20 minutes mark possibly below) 

Has anybody got experience or advice for returning to running following a stress fracture to a metatarsal/foot? I’ve given it 4 weeks rest now and the pain has eased, but not tried to exercise on it at all since. 
I know they said 4-6 weeks at the hospital, but wondering if I am ok gradually returning now and taking it very easy. Was in the middle of marathon training and this has been a real set back, so want to get out there ASAP but don’t want to risk any setbacks. 

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Managed 21mi yesterday morning. Was out of the house just before 6, and ran it in about 2hrs 50. Missed the worst of the heat, but still too hot for poor old stevie and I was a bit of a mess by the end. Good to get it done though.

Great milage in this weather. I have resorted to running at 5am just to stay at a temperature I can stand. I'm never normally an early morning runner, but this has felt like heaven.  Its been really cool. Plus I'm  done and dusted before the day has started. I may continue. 

20 minutes ago, st dan said:

Has anybody got experience or advice for returning to running following a stress fracture to a metatarsal/foot? I’ve given it 4 weeks rest now and the pain has eased, but not tried to exercise on it at all since. 
I know they said 4-6 weeks at the hospital, but wondering if I am ok gradually returning now and taking it very easy. Was in the middle of marathon training and this has been a real set back, so want to get out there ASAP but don’t want to risk any setbacks. 

Not had experience of that injury  but I would say only you know if it's right for you. Maybe start with just walking a distance and increase by the day. Then add in run - walk intervals to start with, no hills. If it hurts - stop. But I'm not a doctor so don't trust me

2 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Great milage in this weather. I have resorted to running at 5am just to stay at a temperature I can stand. I'm never normally an early morning runner, but this has felt like heaven.  Its been really cool. Plus I'm  done and dusted before the day has started. I may continue. 

yeah...dont' normally run that early either but have been the last week, and it is actually pretty nice. Yesterday saw a fox, and lots of rabbits.

23 minutes ago, st dan said:

Just start gently, everyone is different so maybe 4 weeks is enough or isn't enough but go slow and just listen to your body. 

Maybe you could try some different cardio at fist like rowing or swimming that has less of an impact on your foot too as building up cardio again is a fucking pain!

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...dont' normally run that early either but have been the last week, and it is actually pretty nice. Yesterday saw a fox, and lots of rabbits.

No people/ cars and more wildlife makes for an interesting run. I was out run by a cat the other day. Was following it for ages. Not sure if I was chasing or he was leading. I have also been surprising juvenile squirrels who are not sure whether I am friend or foe. 

10 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Not had experience of that injury  but I would say only you know if it's right for you. Maybe start with just walking a distance and increase by the day. Then add in run - walk intervals to start with, no hills. If it hurts - stop. But I'm not a doctor so don't trust me

9 minutes ago, jump said:

Just start gently, everyone is different so maybe 4 weeks is enough or isn't enough but go slow and just listen to your body. 

Maybe you could try some different cardio at fist like rowing or swimming that has less of an impact on your foot too as building up cardio again is a fucking pain!

Thanks both .. I might try my first gentle jog round the field tonight and see how that feels in the morning. Not a member of the gym, but I have a couple of day passes from friends so bike take them and go for a bike/row/swim to build the cardio back up. I was in a good place before this injury so it’s going to be grim seeing how much I’ll have lost in a month of no activity!

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

Thanks both .. I might try my first gentle jog round the field tonight and see how that feels in the morning. Not a member of the gym, but I have a couple of day passes from friends so bike take them and go for a bike/row/swim to build the cardio back up. I was in a good place before this injury so it’s going to be grim seeing how much I’ll have lost in a month of no activity!

You will be surprised how little it will have affected your time. I had to stop running for 6 weeks.  I continued to walk but as soon as I got back to running I was back to the same speed as before. Not saying it felt great to start with but a couple of weeks later and everything was back there.  Improvement can come quickly if you have a good base fitness.

Just now, deebeedoobee said:

You will be surprised how little it will have affected your time. I had to stop running for 6 weeks.  I continued to walk but as soon as I got back to running I was back to the same speed as before. Not saying it felt great to start with but a couple of weeks later and everything was back there.  Improvement can come quickly if you have a good base fitness.

Oh that’s good to hear! Thanks for the reassurance - definitely needed that. I was expecting to be almost back to square one. I’ve never had an injury when actively training before, so it’s never really bothered me too much. Hopefully then I can pick up where I left off in a couple of weeks then!