Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

30 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Ah like tough mudder stuff. 

Correct. There's a whole world champs with quite significant money of you win an entire series.

I only really found out about it from listening to the Bad Boy Running Podcast.

15 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Correct. There's a whole world champs with quite significant money of you win an entire series.

I only really found out about it from listening to the Bad Boy Running Podcast.

My sister and her bridal party did one on her wedding day … in full garb … I took the easy option and spectated whilst looking after my nieces and nephews 

13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

My sister and her bridal party did one on her wedding day … in full garb … I took the easy option and spectated whilst looking after my nieces and nephews 

Was it part of one of those thrash the dress photoshoots?

On 7/5/2021 at 12:37 PM, gigpusher said:

Actually the people I know who have done it in decent times are all pretty skinny. Any of the bigger ones I know who have done it have struggled. Remember if you are bigger there's more to carry and it's a long way to carry. 

There was a lot of DNF's yesterday but with the weather we had that's probably not surprising. If anyone knows this part of the world it's a pretty brutal cycle and marathon as it's very hilly. Looking through the results though there are some seriously fit people out there!

https://cdn3.sportngin.com/attachments/document/845b-2471365/Age_Group_Divisions.pdf#_ga=2.35467553.1238816927.1625470578-1760752185.1625470574

A friend of mine did this last time out and yeah, he's pretty skinny. It starts just down the road from my house and is nuts. 2.4 mile swim in Windermere, followed by the Fred Whitton Sportive route (every major pass in the Lakes. A major event it itself) then running too, up, then back from Scafell Pike. Saw him half an hour after finishing and he said everywhere and everything hurt, but he looked liked he'd just gone for a stroll down the street. It's amazing how fit these people are

4 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

A friend of mine did this last time out and yeah, he's pretty skinny. It starts just down the road from my house and is nuts. 2.4 mile swim in Windermere, followed by the Fred Whitton Sportive route (every major pass in the Lakes. A major event it itself) then running too, up, then back from Scafell Pike. Saw him half an hour after finishing and he said everywhere and everything hurt, but he looked liked he'd just gone for a stroll down the street. It's amazing how fit these people are

It's crazy stuff to me! One of my friends did the Iron Man a couple of years back when I lived near it. We got up to cheer him on when he cycled past the end of our street. We had some friends visiting with young kids so we took them for a day out to a deer park, then went and had a 3 course meal and then dropped them back at our house and went to cheer our friend on in the marathon section. We ran along side him for a bit and he said that after seeing us in the morning he hadn't seen anyone else that he knew for 9 hours and he had seriously contemplated cycling his bike into a wall and just claiming that there'd been a technical problem with his bike. He was a bigger build and he looked like he was dying. 

So I guess I'm back in the game. Just finished a brilliant 12km in under 60 minutes this morning and have found a triathlon coach to coach me through my first triathlon. 

With the Bath Half getting postponed to March, I need to keep it fresh and have a closer target so I'm booking local running events with a view to running triathlons next year. 

Took a spill trail running on Friday. Tripped over a tree root and went down hard and fast and landed full and square on my ribs. Could barely breathe for a couple of minutes. Nice chap out hiking offered to help but i hobbled home. 

Just as the Fuckd Knee heals I've mullered my ribs. Could barely get out of bed this morning.

Less than 4 weeks until Salisbury Plain Marathon. It's gonna be a shitshow of epically slow proportions.

8.2 miles in the heat yesterday wasn't much fun yesterday, but I'm following the London Marathon beginners training plan, and my target mileage for the timed run yesterday was 6-8 miles, so got to be happy with that.  Finding my right calf is cramping the day after a run of over 6 miles, despite stretching.  Guessing it's making sure I'm eating the right stuff after.  More bananas.

1 minute ago, Greenelk said:

8.2 miles in the heat yesterday wasn't much fun yesterday, but I'm following the London Marathon beginners training plan, and my target mileage for the timed run yesterday was 6-8 miles, so got to be happy with that.  Finding my right calf is cramping the day after a run of over 6 miles, despite stretching.  Guessing it's making sure I'm eating the right stuff after.  More bananas.

Make sure you are carb loading appropriately as well before bigger runs. My husband did the Paris Marathon and ran the last 6 miles with calf cramps. For the London marathon he asked me to manage the carb loading part and I got quite scientific about it and he didn't have as many problems. Also make sure you do the cross training bit. For Paris my husband just did running but he followed a proper plan second time and the cross training helped. You can also buy calf sleeves if you are prone to cramping. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Make sure you are carb loading appropriately as well before bigger runs. My husband did the Paris Marathon and ran the last 6 miles with calf cramps. For the London marathon he asked me to manage the carb loading part and I got quite scientific about it and he didn't have as many problems. Also make sure you do the cross training bit. For Paris my husband just did running but he followed a proper plan second time and the cross training helped. You can also buy calf sleeves if you are prone to cramping. 

Thanks.  Yes, think the carb loading is part of the problem, as haven't been doing that up till now, as doing a 10k didn't have this effect, but now I know what my limits seem to be, I can address that before I do the longer runs.