Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

3 hours ago, Quark said:

First game in 15 months last night. Wasn't even at full pelt and still feel like I've been hit by a train 😄

But did you win? 

We have started pre-season in earnest - lots of faces that haven't been at our weekly casual sessions turning up which was nice. 

Right then. Less than a year to go!

The last week has been mega sunny in Glasgow and consequently, I've been too much sitting in the sun (drinking beers) to do any exercise. Just one Insanity in the garden on Tues morning, although MY GOD did I feel that.

So, back on it from tomorrow. Sadly the zoom workouts with my friends that I did four nights a week all through lockdown have ended. It's much harder to motivate myself to work out in the evenings, so might need a new form of accountability.

Had the seven staples pulled out of the back of my head on Weds (morning after the England match, ideal) and all seems to be okay (went to footie training that evening).

Signed up for footie twice this weekend, though helpfully I have my wife's rainbow headband she got for a pride-themed exercise class last year to help cover it up.

31 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

But did you win? 

We have started pre-season in earnest - lots of faces that haven't been at our weekly casual sessions turning up which was nice. 

Sport was the winner 😄

It wasn't a proper proper game as such. 3 x 20 minute periods, 2 of them were our 3s playing the colts and then the final period mixed the teams up. Good craic.

• Upvote 1

Was playing football last night and had to go home early after straining my thigh (front of my leg, further away from the groin). It’s a pretty dull ache that occasionally shoots through some pain.

I had an Epsom salt bath and put some ice on it last night. Will probably have a fortnight off from football and my two or three weekly runs. Any other suggestions for treating this kind of thing?

15 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Was playing football last night and had to go home early after straining my thigh (front of my leg, further away from the groin). It’s a pretty dull ache that occasionally shoots through some pain.

I had an Epsom salt bath and put some ice on it last night. Will probably have a fortnight off from football and my two or three weekly runs. Any other suggestions for treating this kind of thing?

Eeeep sounds painful. Resting sounds like a good option but can be hard to do sometimes....especially as the pain eases off a bit and you wanna get back into it. Hope the salt bath helped a wee bit!

• Like 1

Unbelievably I got kneed in the back of the head again yesterday by a different team mate in the very last minute of the third match of a friendly 7s tournament!

Luckily he missed last week's injury by an inch, so I now have a bruise next to it. Plus I was wearing my wife's rainbow pride headband to protect the original injury, so that prob stopped me from getting another blood injury!

51 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yesterday was the Ironman in Bolton where I used to live and had a few friends doing it. Got me wondering if @Superscallyhas ever done an Iron man. The running bit would obviously be no problem to you but how's your swimming and cycling?? 

We'd need to bulk the lad up - he's very...svelte*

*More meat on a butcher's apron.

40 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I'd drown before I got on the bike! 😂

Ah not a swimmer then 😄 One of my friends brothers did it. It's a hilly one as well. He did it in 12:49:55 and his marathon time was 4:04 running a marathon that quick at the end of all that other stuff is just insane! 

2 hours ago, Woffy said:

We'd need to bulk the lad up - he's very...svelte*

*More meat on a butcher's apron.

Actually the people I know who have done it in decent times are all pretty skinny. Any of the bigger ones I know who have done it have struggled. Remember if you are bigger there's more to carry and it's a long way to carry. 

There was a lot of DNF's yesterday but with the weather we had that's probably not surprising. If anyone knows this part of the world it's a pretty brutal cycle and marathon as it's very hilly. Looking through the results though there are some seriously fit people out there!

https://cdn3.sportngin.com/attachments/document/845b-2471365/Age_Group_Divisions.pdf#_ga=2.35467553.1238816927.1625470578-1760752185.1625470574

45 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Ah not a swimmer then 😄 One of my friends brothers did it. It's a hilly one as well. He did it in 12:49:55 and his marathon time was 4:04 running a marathon that quick at the end of all that other stuff is just insane! 

That's strong work. 

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Actually the people I know who have done it in decent times are all pretty skinny. Any of the bigger ones I know who have done it have struggled. Remember if you are bigger there's more to carry and it's a long way to carry. 

There was a lot of DNF's yesterday but with the weather we had that's probably not surprising. If anyone knows this part of the world it's a pretty brutal cycle and marathon as it's very hilly. Looking through the results though there are some seriously fit people out there!

https://cdn3.sportngin.com/attachments/document/845b-2471365/Age_Group_Divisions.pdf#_ga=2.35467553.1238816927.1625470578-1760752185.1625470574

Ignore me gigpusher. I'm being an idiot:

I was thinking of OCR