Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

20 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Still can't hit a sub 20 minute 5km, any tips?

What time are you running it in now - early 20 mins ish? 
I was the same for so long, and I honestly don’t think I’d have been able to do it without help from my Garmin. I  set up a pacing target to run 5km in 20 mins and was solely dependent on that pacing me throughout. The constant notifications as to whether you’re on track really do help you pick up the pace and kick on when it’s needed. I missed out the first couple of times, but the shift in mindset made me determined to get there, and my body pushed itself. A couple of times of doing it and you’ll be amazed as the consistency.
My next target is 18.30 and I’ll be using the same method to hopefully get to that in the coming months. 

28 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Still can't hit a sub 20 minute 5km, any tips?

I was hovering around 21/22 mins for a long time but have this year cracked the sub 20 due to:

- Running more (I have been marathon training). But crucially do most of your running at a slow pace just to build endurance. You don’t need to try and break 20 mins every time you run! That will no doubt lead to injury and hatred of running! 

- Doing one (possibly two) very hard workouts per week which include intervals at faster than 4 mins/per km pace. To break 20 mins in the 5k, I’d recommend trying to do 1 k intervals at 3 min 50/55 pace and then having a 1/2 minute recovery in between. Then gradually reduce the recovery time so that pace becomes manageable over 5k distance.

Yep, interval training is your friend when it comes to chasing down times, whether it be 5km or full on marathon, it's a necessary evil for improvement, one that I hated when I was seriously in to my running. Some good advise already given, don't go chasing times each time you go for a 5km, mix it up (including rest days) and you'll get there, honest. Good luck.

Edited by oneeye

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Rolled my ankle last week

Training session number 4 of my marathon training 

Went down like a sack of shit and had to hop a mile home!

Light ligament damage, thankfully nothing worse, but no running for 4-5 weeks 

FML

I went in goal earlier because I couldn't run after play so much recently. I saved a shot with my left leg and my knee went a bit. I mean, he hit it pretty hard but not sure that's a good sign!

Having put it off for a considerable amount of time i've joined a local running club.

Looking forward to going out for the first group run tomorrow!

Anyone else a member of a running club? I assume coached sessions rather than aimless running should help progress somewhat.

On 4/9/2021 at 5:25 PM, st dan said:

What time are you running it in now - early 20 mins ish? 
I was the same for so long, and I honestly don’t think I’d have been able to do it without help from my Garmin. I  set up a pacing target to run 5km in 20 mins and was solely dependent on that pacing me throughout. The constant notifications as to whether you’re on track really do help you pick up the pace and kick on when it’s needed. I missed out the first couple of times, but the shift in mindset made me determined to get there, and my body pushed itself. A couple of times of doing it and you’ll be amazed as the consistency.
My next target is 18.30 and I’ll be using the same method to hopefully get to that in the coming months. 

My best effort is 20:40 I did run 4.12km in about 15:53.....However, so was on track for that but I just couldn't hang tough and stopped. I need to set up that Garmin pacing target then, that'll give me extra drive! Thanks for the tips, maybe I'll catch you up one day haha. 

On 4/9/2021 at 5:35 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

I was hovering around 21/22 mins for a long time but have this year cracked the sub 20 due to:

- Running more (I have been marathon training). But crucially do most of your running at a slow pace just to build endurance. You don’t need to try and break 20 mins every time you run! That will no doubt lead to injury and hatred of running! 

- Doing one (possibly two) very hard workouts per week which include intervals at faster than 4 mins/per km pace. To break 20 mins in the 5k, I’d recommend trying to do 1 k intervals at 3 min 50/55 pace and then having a 1/2 minute recovery in between. Then gradually reduce the recovery time so that pace becomes manageable over 5k distance.

I kept a 3:51/km pace for 4.12km once but couldn't finish it and was on track to do which was disappointing, thanks for the training tips though, I reckon if I dedicate myself I can get it done in May.

4 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Having put it off for a considerable amount of time i've joined a local running club.

Looking forward to going out for the first group run tomorrow!

Anyone else a member of a running club? I assume coached sessions rather than aimless running should help progress somewhat.

Good move. Never joined one, but maybe I should have.

My goal at moment, if anyone is interested, is Manchester marathon in the autumn. Need to get there in one piece as bit injury prone these days, and then try and get round it in under 3:15 which should be good for a GFA for London, although probably too late for 2022 qualification, unless they relax the rules a bit because of the pandemic.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

My goal at moment, if anyone is interested, is Manchester marathon in the autumn. Need to get there in one piece as bit injury prone these days, and then try and get round it in under 3:15 which should be good for a GFA for London, although probably too late for 2022 qualification, unless they relax the rules a bit because of the pandemic.

just looked it up....would be too late...bollocks...

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/enter/how-to-enter/good-for-age-entry

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

just looked it up....would be too late...bollocks...

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/enter/how-to-enter/good-for-age-entry

By 1 week, harsh. I managed to get in twice using qualifying times over the years, hard work but great when you get to start the race at the front, good luck 👍😎

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

See you there! 

Injury depending, this will be my first marathon. 

Aiming for 3:45 so you’ll be flying off in the distance! 

4 minutes ago, Superscally said:

If any of you need something good to listen to on the run, in the gym or whatever... We're back! Series 2 baby! Back of the net!

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/podcast-episodes/kilian-jornet-the-man-who-climbed-everest-twice-without-oxygen

Screenshot_20210412-123823_Chrome.jpg

Shameless self promotion 😄

Enjoyed series 1, will bookmark this

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

We're gonna try and win some awards this year, so feel free to spread the word! Glad you liked it. If we win anything, series 3 is Superhumans of Glastonbury 🤣

I look forward to hearing your delicate Liverpudlian tones opening with "By Thursday night, he had nothing left but 2 grams of mandy and a small bud of green. Somehow, he had to find the reserves of strength in himself to pull through, unaided, to the final Sunday night set at the Temple"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I look forward to hearing your delicate Liverpudlian tones opening with "By Thursday night, he had nothing left but 2 grams of mandy and a small bud of green. Somehow, he had to find the reserves of strength in himself to pull through, unaided, to the final Sunday night set at the Temple"

It would be the greatest pod ever, although certainly the end of my current line of broadcast! 🤣

12 minutes ago, Superscally said:

It would be the greatest pod ever, although certainly the end of my current line of broadcast! 🤣

Would take a superhuman effort to get you into a dance venue at any time!

Nice one, will give it a listen.

This is one of my fave books (evs):

https://www.waterstones.com/book/into-thin-air/jon-krakauer/9781447200185