Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

1 minute ago, ShakeyCrash said:

I want to get back into swimming. I did have lessons because while i can swim, I don’t classify as a strong swimmer (out-swim a shark strong). Also I’ve been unbelievably lucky this years with no injuries so am probably due and swimming is a great way to keep for while injured i believe.

it is although my style is probably not ideal for my dodgy back ... like everything and what you have done previously ... start small   , i think I started with 10 lengths ... I wasnt a strong swimmer and just build up gradually ... a couple of lengths increase each visit and by end I was swimming 100 lengths quite comfortably 3 x per week ... only a little pool but 2k wasnt a bad distance ... never had any injuries from it either ...

58 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Football training is back at the end of March so started my high intensity interval training tonight, can't wait to get back to it and get involved with some crunching tackles. 

How’s the hamstring? I was part of a five aside but it’s a very cautious one so never started back after the first lockdown. Now circumstances mean I can’t go back unless they change the day

1 hour ago, Kalopsia said:

Football training is back at the end of March so started my high intensity interval training tonight, can't wait to get back to it and get involved with some crunching tackles. 

Hoping that rugby goes the same way. Not going to be any games I suspect, but be happy just to get ball in hand again!

33 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

I want to get back into swimming. I did have lessons because while i can swim, I don’t classify as a strong swimmer (out-swim a shark strong). Also I’ve been unbelievably lucky this years with no injuries so am probably due and swimming is a great way to keep for while injured i believe.

Swimming's one of those things I like doing but always struggled to fit it in around everything else, so it kind of never happened consistently. I'm not a particularly speedy swimmer, but I've developed what my mum (who's a bloody good swimmer) calls a very lazy but efficient stroke, which I've taken as a compliment 😄

1 hour ago, ShakeyCrash said:

How’s the hamstring? I was part of a five aside but it’s a very cautious one so never started back after the first lockdown. Now circumstances mean I can’t go back unless they change the day

Hamstring is ok at the moment, been testing it pretty hard recently too so this is a bonus! 

Hopefully 5 a side will change days and you'll be able to return 🙂

16 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

it is although my style is probably not ideal for my dodgy back ... like everything and what you have done previously ... start small   , i think I started with 10 lengths ... I wasnt a strong swimmer and just build up gradually ... a couple of lengths increase each visit and by end I was swimming 100 lengths quite comfortably 3 x per week ... only a little pool but 2k wasnt a bad distance ... never had any injuries from it either ...

A bit in the distance but will do as you say.  Half a mind is thinking about some triathlon as well; one to tick off the list after I've done a marathon I reckon.

15 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Hamstring is ok at the moment, been testing it pretty hard recently too so this is a bonus! 

Hopefully 5 a side will change days and you'll be able to return 🙂

Cheers, but no harm if not.  Good news on the hamstring!

16 hours ago, Quark said:

Hoping that rugby goes the same way. Not going to be any games I suspect, but be happy just to get ball in hand again!

Swimming's one of those things I like doing but always struggled to fit it in around everything else, so it kind of never happened consistently. I'm not a particularly speedy swimmer, but I've developed what my mum (who's a bloody good swimmer) calls a very lazy but efficient stroke, which I've taken as a compliment 😄

That lazy stroke is the kind of thing I'm after (well partly).  The people who look like they can swim with no real effort.

Just going to head out for a run now.  10k away from 100k for this month, so going to chuck on Mogwai's new album (an hour along) and see where it takes me!

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

100km for the month, settling into a nice 3 nights on 1 night off rhythm now. Short recovery run tomorrow, rest Friday, then reckon I might punt for a half on Saturday...

It’s great when you can get into a rhythm that suits you. My trouble is I get cocky and fail to have a day off, then the injuries happen. Saturday looks like a nice day for running. Although a little on the warm side for me, at least the wind will have dropped. That’s my pet hate, it always blows in your face, never gives you a shove from behind 

10 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

It’s great when you can get into a rhythm that suits you. My trouble is I get cocky and fail to have a day off, then the injuries happen. Saturday looks like a nice day for running. Although a little on the warm side for me, at least the wind will have dropped. That’s my pet hate, it always blows in your face, never gives you a shove from behind 

It's a bit easier at the moment as the bike's off the road until the weather gets better, and I'm not doing any weights as the garage is full of crap and the gyms are shut, so I'm not trying to fit in anything else.

Wind is the same on the bike, just seems to change direction with you. Nothing more joyless than slogging for miles into a headwind, just a grind.

Back into my running over the past 6 months, 3 - 4 times weekly plod for an hour or so, not so much hung up on distance nowadays, more time on my feet. I do still find myself getting competitive though if I see another jogger ahead, trying to catch and overtake without blowing out my arse, childish I know. What I've enjoyed most is the winter training, fewer people out, mud and rain, can't beat it, just the wind as already mentioned. Main thing is to know your limitations, stay healthy and injury free, and enjoy the fix 😎

Yep, definitely earned a few beers for the game! Nice thing is that I wasnt specifically keeping an eye on the pace while I was running, just bowled along at natural pace and managed to maintain it. Main reason I didn't join you guys last night, knew this morning wouldn't happen!

Nice just to run and see how it pans out, especially on a day like this. What's your thinking later anyway? I'm going a very tight game, both teams struggling for form. Eng to just edge it by 3 for me 😉

Sensible move.  I was up until 4 am but feel ok for now.  I know the run will suffer though but am also looking to try and right the wrongs of last night 🙂

I think England will win it by double digits (10 to 12 I reckon) unless they get a player sent off of course.  We've been lucky so far and not convinced by our bench or that our line out will hold out (was shocking against Ireland).

Right, so as I've fascinatingly outlined before, my left knee started 'clicking' in the summer, I think as a result of overuse when jogging on the first lockdown. As a result, I've not jogged since the gyms closed (mid Dec) and have been getting my cardio from this boxercise workout (mainly jumping up and down, few burpees, etc).

Not done that since Sat morning, woke up this morning and the back of my left knee is now in quite a bit of pain, which I've never had before! Not sure how this makes any sense since I've been resting it for the first time since I did my medial ligament over 10 years ago!