Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

4 hours ago, Quark said:

OK I'm sorry to do this people.  I'm normally happy to just make gags that make me laugh and no-one else, and I just go on my merry way. I'm not a needy person.

But seriously, no-one picked up on this one?!  I was so proud of it!!!

I was going to reply but failed at inserting GIFs (how do I do that?)

You’ll just have to imagine the tumbleweeds for yourself 😂

Might be too late to the headphone discussion but I got a pair of Sony Bluetooth headphones (over head ones) for Christmas and I have not had to charge them since the first charge (using them 3 times a week), they were cheap (£35 I think) and they are very comfortable. Couldn’t recommend highly enough

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

Might be too late to the headphone discussion but I got a pair of Sony Bluetooth headphones (over head ones) for Christmas and I have not had to charge them since the first charge (using them 3 times a week), they were cheap (£35 I think) and they are very comfortable. Couldn’t recommend highly enough

How do you find them to run in? I skipped past the idea of over head headphones as I thought they would bounce around and went for in-ear Sony with a cable that hangs around your neck. The sound is good but they don’t stay in very well and get a lot of running shirt rustle when the cable rubs against my top which seems to create a lot of noise somehow. 

On the hunt for some totally cableless in-ear headphones or potentially over head

1 minute ago, Baggins7 said:

How do you find them to run in? I skipped past the idea of over head headphones as I thought they would bounce around and went for in-ear Sony with a cable that hangs around your neck. The sound is good but they don’t stay in very well and get a lot of running shirt rustle when the cable rubs against my top which seems to create a lot of noise somehow. 

On the hunt for some totally cableless in-ear headphones or potentially over head

Have had no issues at all, they have many different fittings as you'd expect and they remain firmly in place throughout. On the other hand, my ears are too small I think for conventional headphones and have always had an issue with them falling out when sat still, let alone in gym or running where they are complete non-starters.

I have found the ones I got for Christmas: - here

All I can say on the headphone thing is that Skullcandy Indy do not stay in your ears! It's ok at the moment and I've got a headband on to keep my ears warm and that's holding them in place, but otherwise they're all over the shop!

I've borrowed these from Mrs Q before for summer running and they were decent. Didn't have the cable noise issue, might be different model to yours @Baggins7?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/headphones/headphones/sony-wi-c200-wireless-bluetooth-earphones-black-10193123-pdt.html

1 hour ago, Quark said:

All I can say on the headphone thing is that Skullcandy Indy do not stay in your ears! It's ok at the moment and I've got a headband on to keep my ears warm and that's holding them in place, but otherwise they're all over the shop!

I've borrowed these from Mrs Q before for summer running and they were decent. Didn't have the cable noise issue, might be different model to yours @Baggins7?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/headphones/headphones/sony-wi-c200-wireless-bluetooth-earphones-black-10193123-pdt.html

Yeah they're the ones I have. To be fair if I wear a base layer under my top and tuck the cable down the back it stays still and I get less noise but I have noticed it in a looser top where it can bounce around a bit. Going to stick with them for another couple of months and try to go cableless once I've done more research!

On 1/23/2021 at 5:17 PM, Quark said:

Made it out before dark tonight, love a dusk run.

Screenshot_20210123-171601_Strava.thumb.jpg.978844afb267e7a4a1f1f6783c9307d2.jpg

was that with a heart rate monitor @Quark? I'm just asking because i've been looking more into heart rate zones recently (like running in zone 3 more often), and an average of 113bpm would be impressively low, so am wondering if that's something you've focused on. 

39 minutes ago, Chawk said:

was that with a heart rate monitor @Quark? I'm just asking because i've been looking more into heart rate zones recently (like running in zone 3 more often), and an average of 113bpm would be impressively low, so am wondering if that's something you've focused on. 

Sort of, my TomTom watch has a HRM built into it.  I don't generally focus on zones as part of my training tbh, but I do like to have it running as a recovery indicator when I finish the run.

It is proving to be a bit temperamental at the moment so it's not giving the most reliable reads! I know that run felt like more than 113bpm 😄

Ok, been a busy few days so loads to say.

New 5k personal best of 20:26 recorded to the Killers new album (Imploding the mirage) - @Ozanne would be so proud!

@Quark - going to buy the headband and vest thing tomorrow so will let you know how I get on, I ALWAYS look good at 2am as that's MY time, and if I'm honest I don't get the arran joke so my silence is your typical unwillingness to highlight my ignorance on a public forum (far better on a private(ish) Zoom call 🙂

Re: headsets, I have the aftershockz bone conductor jobbies.  Primary motivation was that I thought some half\full marathons (remember those) don't allow headphones unless they are these type.

Re: running music, I could improve vastly on my running playlist (love Laura Marling for a long leisurely run, but not the best for a fast 5k) so any suggestions are welcome.  The rule I am currently using is only from albums that have been released when this shit started. 

Any donations are welcome, and fully intent on putting the Bicep album on this week to gauge suitability.

To start I have:

Running Red Lights - The Avalanches

Favourite thing to listen to when running fast is James Holden’s Balance 005 mix. It’s on Spotify. It’s long so if you want the best 15-25 minutes start from Do What You Want (track 10) and then you’ll get that and the full Outhouse mix (track 12). It’ll knock minutes of your PBs 😉

My favourite thing to listen to at the moment on normal runs is Charmed Life by DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ. Incredibly uplifting and happy house music. 

1 hour ago, Chawk said:

Heart Rate training has improved my running so much. I started at the beginning of October. Training is essentially 80% of my week in Zone 2 - for me that’s <150 bpm.  And then then remainder I do in Zone 4/5 - >175bpm. I try to avoid running in between those heart rates as much as possible. 

When I started, running in Zone 2 was SO SLOW - had to walk up hills etc. 4 months later and I can now do 8 mins/mile or 4.58 mins/km at that HR and it feels amazing. 5k PB down from 20.40 to 18.53. New 10k PB of 38.47 (start of October I did a hard 10k which took me 45 mins). 

The main thing I’ve enjoyed though is how amazing it feels to run at a low HR, and to see the pace you can run at that HR keep getting quicker and quicker. 

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Heart Rate training has improved my running so much. I started at the beginning of October. Training is essentially 80% of my week in Zone 2 - for me that’s <150 bpm.  And then then remainder I do in Zone 4/5 - >175bpm. I try to avoid running in between those heart rates as much as possible. 

When I started, running in Zone 2 was SO SLOW - had to walk up hills etc. 4 months later and I can now do 8 mins/mile or 4.58 mins/km at that HR and it feels amazing. 5k PB down from 20.40 to 18.53. New 10k PB of 38.47 (start of October I did a hard 10k which took me 45 mins). 

The main thing I’ve enjoyed though is how amazing it feels to run at a low HR, and to see the pace you can run at that HR keep getting quicker and quicker. 

Do you use a watch or a chest strap? 

I might start taking notice of my HR but don't know if my Garmin is reliable. 

22 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I use my watch - Garmin 245. It’s hard to say whether it’s reliable as I’ve never used anything else but it definitely “feels” right.

By that I mean that when I feel myself starting to breath more noticeably, my heart rate will have always crept up into the low 150s. It seems pretty reliable in that sense. 

2 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Nice, that's why I'd like to get more into it too. I went for a few slow runs last autumn and it was really good style. It is funny going for a run that isn't much faster than walking pace though, at least to start with.

1 hour ago, gmb1992 said:

A Garmin watch should be fine. I think a chest strap is only useful if you want to use it for swimming too (altho some watches claim to work in the pool too now though) 

4 hours ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Ok, been a busy few days so loads to say.

New 5k personal best of 20:26 recorded to the Killers new album (Imploding the mirage) - @Ozanne would be so proud!

@Quark - going to buy the headband and vest thing tomorrow so will let you know how I get on, I ALWAYS look good at 2am as that's MY time, and if I'm honest I don't get the arran joke so my silence is your typical unwillingness to highlight my ignorance on a public forum (far better on a private(ish) Zoom call 🙂

Re: headsets, I have the aftershockz bone conductor jobbies.  Primary motivation was that I thought some half\full marathons (remember those) don't allow headphones unless they are these type.

Re: running music, I could improve vastly on my running playlist (love Laura Marling for a long leisurely run, but not the best for a fast 5k) so any suggestions are welcome.  The rule I am currently using is only from albums that have been released when this shit started. 

Any donations are welcome, and fully intent on putting the Bicep album on this week to gauge suitability.

To start I have:

Running Red Lights - The Avalanches

Great choice of music today my man. They don’t call The Killers the best band in the world for nothing...

Edited by Ozanne

Great time @ShakeyCrash! Just imagine how much faster you could go with a decent soundtrack!  😄

Keeping the 5k pace under 5min/km tonight which was good, feeling like there's more in the tank but want to build up without burning out. Soundtracked by Dream Nails tonight, 25 min album perfect for a short sharp run.

On 1/27/2021 at 2:13 PM, gmb1992 said:

I listened to the new Bicep album on my run last night. 

I don't love it as much as the self titled album but it's 49 instrumental minutes which is perfect for running for me so I would recommend. 

Interview in Guardian today, said they deliberately made a more cerebral (my word, not theirs) album to reflect that it was made for/by people in lockdown, so that may be why.

Was going to reintroduce jogging this week to get in shape for Saturday run club, but my knee (whether psychosymatically or not) actually started outright hurting, as opposed to just occasionally clicking.

Accepted I needed to drop my stupid 'either go running or don't bother with cardio' policy and Googled 'drum and bass workout'. Been enjoying this daily since; is essentially 30 mins of boxercise and it seems to work all the major food groups required for a night out in The Naughty Corner:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=629149044306292

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

All this stuff reminds me I must leave my flat during my 2 weeks off .... I’ve become hermitised ... if that’s not a word I’ve just invented it !! 

It's pretty wild out there... sometimes I walk around the park next door for about 20 minutes... then come home!