Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

12 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Lovely run today, nice and leisurely and i stopped to take pictures.

Distance: 10k

Time: 54:24

Music: Spotify liked list so numerous artists

9A418327-F517-4483-8521-CE4B6396DF17.jpeg

096E7C40-18CF-45E9-AF36-C8ABCC1109C1.jpeg

0FDA06AE-75A8-46A6-A099-22537B27E7FC.jpeg

See what you mean about living there for the running Shake. Looks lovely pal.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I went for a 7mi run, no pics, lots of slush, listened to podcasts on politics and current affairs because unfortunately that's what floats my boat these days.

Does anyone feel a bit tense out on runs with the need to keep away from other people, some people, especially elderly people, look terrified when they see me coming.

Luckily I'm in a village and then out in country, so not such an issue tbh. I just get out into the road as soon as I see someone on the path, take the stress away from them.

Are you sure it's the running part that means you're terrifying old people? 😄

Edited by Quark

Just now, Quark said:

Luckily I'm in a village and then out in country, so not such an issue tbh. I just get out into the road as soon as I see someone on the path, take the stress away from them.

Yeah, I try and get out of people's way as much as poss, but live in a city and there's so many people out at moment because there's nowhere else to go that it's quite hard sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

It really is. Shame about the guy in the LA Rams hat ruining the view.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, I try and get out of people's way as much as poss, but live in a city and there's so many people out at moment because there's nowhere else to go that it's quite hard sometimes.

My run is plenty congested as well the earlier i do it and the stress of getting out of people’s way is only a thing i’m on a fast run i think (if i am going for a time). I try and do the road thing as well but there are plenty of occasions where it’s just not possible.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:06 PM, Waterdeep said:

Made the leap from Fitbit and got a Garmin Fenix 6 for Christmas. Lots of stats and functions compared to the Fitbit, and it's taking a while to get used to, but I'm really impressed so far.

I'm very much a plodder but I'd like to get my speed up, I think the Garmin will help with that.

I also made the switch from Fitbit to a Garmin Venu at Christmas. Love that you can load music to it and it has its own GPS so no need to carry a phone. Got into a really good running routine pushing for a sub 20 5k until my partner tested positive so no activity for 10 days. 
Nothing beats a good playlist or album to run to, one of my favourites to run to is Amyl and the Sniffers

• Upvote 1

Annoyingly think I have a spot of jumper's knee (felt a twinge while hiking last week - pain to extend but eased during the week but whilst being a big kid in the snow I turned fast and have the same issue again).

Iced it when I got back and have a knee support arriving tomorrow so that is my running shoes hung up for a few weeks annoyingly!

On 1/23/2021 at 9:56 PM, Baggins7 said:

I also made the switch from Fitbit to a Garmin Venu at Christmas. Love that you can load music to it and it has its own GPS so no need to carry a phone. Got into a really good running routine pushing for a sub 20 5k until my partner tested positive so no activity for 10 days. 
Nothing beats a good playlist or album to run to, one of my favourites to run to is Amyl and the Sniffers

Oooh you can load music...? I guess only from MP3 though?

Hit my 100km for the month tonight, 15 consecutive evening runs. Treating myself to  a rest day tomorrow!

Screenshot_20210125-200249_Strava.thumb.jpg.c4253e59640645c9ce83794f266c235f.jpg

What I did discover, however, is that it's not always a great idea to pick an album out for running based on one track alone. Was not a motivational choice! 😄

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, northernringo said:

Annoyingly think I have a spot of jumper's knee (felt a twinge while hiking last week - pain to extend but eased during the week but whilst being a big kid in the snow I turned fast and have the same issue again).

Iced it when I got back and have a knee support arriving tomorrow so that is my running shoes hung up for a few weeks annoyingly!

What's jumper's knee? Annoyingly I've been off the cardio this lockdown as my knee started 'clicking' due to overuse from jogging while on furlough in spring and summer.

11 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Garmin can link with Spotify so you can download playlists.

I'm still just getting along with my training plan, I have a brutal 30km in the diary for Saturday so I'm just going to take my weekday runs easy to hopefully keep the legs fresh! 

It's going to be a struggle but the feeling afterwards when I'm vegging on the sofa for the rest of the day will be so worth it! 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Yeah some of the Garmin watches store music, I know the Fenix, Venu, and some of the Forerunner models have this. You can link them to your spotify, deezer or amazon accounts and download playlists, albums and podcasts to your watch and listen through bluetooth headphones. I think you can upload your own MP3s aswell but I haven't tried this way.

I spent a bit extra on the watch than I'd planned so went for some cheaper headphones which was a bad move! Next investment will be some decent headphones that are comfy, cancel out the wind and actually stay in/on my ears!

I'd be interested if anyone has any running headphone recommendations in here? 

12 hours ago, Homer said:

What's jumper's knee? Annoyingly I've been off the cardio this lockdown as my knee started 'clicking' due to overuse from jogging while on furlough in spring and summer.

Damage to the tendons just below the knee cap, makes it very difficult to extend the leg fully.

No pain when at rest thankfully but I've heard it can get a lot worse if you don't let it fully recover so being extra careful with it for the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, Baggins7 said:

Yeah some of the Garmin watches store music, I know the Fenix, Venu, and some of the Forerunner models have this. You can link them to your spotify, deezer or amazon accounts and download playlists, albums and podcasts to your watch and listen through bluetooth headphones. I think you can upload your own MP3s aswell but I haven't tried this way.

I spent a bit extra on the watch than I'd planned so went for some cheaper headphones which was a bad move! Next investment will be some decent headphones that are comfy, cancel out the wind and actually stay in/on my ears!

I'd be interested if anyone has any running headphone recommendations in here? 

I too would be interested in headphone recommendations.

I've got a pretty cheap pair of wireless pods I bought on amazon a couple of years ago which aren't the best.

Are the apple airpods or airpod pro's worth the cash? 

43 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I too would be interested in headphone recommendations.

I've got a pretty cheap pair of wireless pods I bought on amazon a couple of years ago which aren't the best.

Are the apple airpods or airpod pro's worth the cash? 

I have the airpods with the charging case and my husband has the ones where you have to plug in the case to charge. His case no longer charges and sometimes the left headphone of mine doesn't charge so I'd say they are temperamental. 

They do feel comfortable in ear though and have never fallen out. I'm not sure if they are officially waterproof but I've worn them in pretty bad weather conditions... might be why they are a little dodgy! 

I have a friend who swears by the Aftershockz headphones which don't actually go in ear. 

+1 for the Apple AirPods. These ones (and not the Pro which imo don’t sit well in the ears for running):

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/headphones/headphones/apple-airpods-with-charging-case-2nd-generation-white-10191857-pdt.html

I’ve tried various over the years and nothing are as comfortable, reliable and good sound quality as these. Never once cut out on me, or fallen out. Like mentioned above by @gmb1992 - not sure they are officially waterproof or resistant, but I’ve never had any issues with sweat or rain. 

1 hour ago, st dan said:

+1 for the Apple AirPods. These ones (and not the Pro which imo don’t sit well in the ears for running):

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/headphones/headphones/apple-airpods-with-charging-case-2nd-generation-white-10191857-pdt.html

I’ve tried various over the years and nothing are as comfortable, reliable and good sound quality as these. Never once cut out on me, or fallen out. Like mentioned above by @gmb1992 - not sure they are officially waterproof or resistant, but I’ve never had any issues with sweat or rain. 

I'm really tempted.

I've got a £50 voucher I can use as well.

19 hours ago, Homer said:

What's jumper's knee?

17 hours ago, Quark said:

Always happened if aran too much.

OK I'm sorry to do this people.  I'm normally happy to just make gags that make me laugh and no-one else, and I just go on my merry way. I'm not a needy person.

But seriously, no-one picked up on this one?!  I was so proud of it!!!

1 hour ago, Quark said:

OK I'm sorry to do this people.  I'm normally happy to just make gags that make me laugh and no-one else, and I just go on my merry way. I'm not a needy person.

But seriously, no-one picked up on this one?!  I was so proud of it!!!

everyone may have been similar to me: saw it, small groan, chapeau, realised they coouldn't do better and went back to work.