Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

11 minutes ago, st dan said:

Don’t know what your budget is - but this is a great watch at a great price, covers everything you would need and super simple to use, easy to view display etc 

https://www.gpsoutlet.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-735xt-hr-gps-multisport-watch-black-newly-overhauled.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvtmH_piq7gIVD-rtCh26DwtrEAQYAiABEgKahfD_BwE

I've had one of these for over a year and still learning about features now!

20 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Thanks all, this is really useful stuff.  Saw some really expensive watches out there so to see the recommended ones come in at under £200 is a real plus for me.

Also the headband and this are now on the list --> https://freetrain.co.uk/products/freetrain-vr (this is not yet available)

They do a non-reflective version as well, but as you're a night runner I'd recommend waiting. Let me know if you want to know anything about it now I've given it a few runs out.

I've got an older version of this as a headband https://www.castelli-cycling.com/gb/pro-thermal-headband/p/452054620A-085

It's fleece lined so nice and warm, but also wicks sweat away like a champ.

• Upvote 1

I've signed up to Race to The King - a double marathon on 19th June.

I wasn't going to do it if Glasto was on this year because I didn't want achy legs to hinder my experience, but as it turns out this year is the year to dip my toe in the ultra pond after all. 

I'll be relying on the endorphins/ dopamine to keep my spirits up over the net few months that's for sure! 

27 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I wasn't going to do it if Glasto was on this year because I didn't want achy legs to hinder my experience, but as it turns out this year is the year to dip my toe in the ultra pond after all. 

I'll be relying on the endorphins/ dopamine to keep my spirits up over the net few months that's for sure! 

Bloody hell that one's brutal! Starts just down the road from me.

58 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Also signed up for my first ultra for later on this year. Wendover Woods 50 miler. Looks fairly brutal. 10,000 ft of elevation gain! 

12 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Also signed up for my first ultra for later on this year. Wendover Woods 50 miler. Looks fairly brutal. 10,000 ft of elevation gain! 

Nice! That does look pretty tough, I never know if loops and knowing what's coming would be a good thing or not mentally?

I had a look at a training plan and apart from the long runs at the weekend the weekday mileage actually looks easier than my current marathon training which is a nice surprise

41 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Nice! That does look pretty tough, I never know if loops and knowing what's coming would be a good thing or not mentally?

I had a look at a training plan and apart from the long runs at the weekend the weekday mileage actually looks easier than my current marathon training which is a nice surprise

Yeah the looped aspect really intrigues me. Adds an extra mental dimension to it for sure. I’m obsessed with the Barkley Marathons at the moment so I wanted to do something similar (though far less extreme!). 

Yes I’ve been reading a few books about training for an Ultra.  Shouldn’t be too much change from a good marathon training plan apart from, as you say, lots of weekend miles. I think there’s a lot more prep work to do (figuring out what you like to eat 6 hours in to a run!) and mental preparation though - given how much longer you’ll be out there for (potentially 14/15 hours in my case) and how much more can go wrong! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Another year sat on my arse 🎉 see you guys in next years thread. 

What have I told you about leaving your homework to the last minute?

Cracked the first non-official target tonight, got a 5km pace back below 5 min/km. Came in at 4:47/km so heading in the right direction!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Quark said:

What have I told you about leaving your homework to the last minute?

To be fair, it does take it a wee bit harder if you don't have something to motivate yourself for. No Glastonbury, no beach holidays. 

Fortunately, I have quite an attractive neighbour and there's  only a few months to go until prime "flirting over the fence of an evening" time...

Probably less likely to want to do that in sequin hotpants though. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Yeah the looped aspect really intrigues me. Adds an extra mental dimension to it for sure. I’m obsessed with the Barkley Marathons at the moment so I wanted to do something similar (though far less extreme!). 

Yes I’ve been reading a few books about training for an Ultra.  Shouldn’t be too much change from a good marathon training plan apart from, as you say, lots of weekend miles. I think there’s a lot more prep work to do (figuring out what you like to eat 6 hours in to a run!) and mental preparation though - given how much longer you’ll be out there for (potentially 14/15 hours in my case) and how much more can go wrong! 

Definitely! Let me know if you find any good nutrition/ hydration tips. I actually don't mind gels (especially the Gu ones) but will probably want to start experimenting with actual food whilst running... I've heard malt loaf is good. 

On 1/20/2021 at 12:26 PM, ShakeyCrash said:

Thanks all, this is really useful stuff.  Saw some really expensive watches out there so to see the recommended ones come in at under £200 is a real plus for me.

Also the headband and this are now on the list --> https://freetrain.co.uk/products/freetrain-vr (this is not yet available)

I've not tried one of those freetrain things but I swear by my little running backpack. 

I've got this one and it's brilliant https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geila-Hydration-Backpack-Marathoner-Lightweight/dp/B07DQJMM3P/ref=sxin_9_ac_d_rm?ac_md=1-1-cnVubmluZyBiYWNrcGFjayB3b21lbg%3D%3D-ac_d_rm&crid=2PP3K8FOTUEZR&cv_ct_cx=running%2Bbackpack&dchild=1&keywords=running%2Bbackpack&pd_rd_i=B07FFLSJCR&pd_rd_r=375932a5-1c03-4e42-a45e-a21c2fbb11b2&pd_rd_w=I9kFs&pd_rd_wg=HiL5z&pf_rd_p=0c799c14-fd2d-4652-a647-3581649b0ff7&pf_rd_r=BYKFZWQ3T22Z6VDRPV39&qid=1611305932&sprefix=running%2Bbac%2Caps%2C259&sr=1-2-fe323411-17bb-433b-b2f8-c44f2e1370d4&th=1

On 1/20/2021 at 12:48 PM, Quark said:

They do a non-reflective version as well, but as you're a night runner I'd recommend waiting. Let me know if you want to know anything about it now I've given it a few runs out.

I've got an older version of this as a headband https://www.castelli-cycling.com/gb/pro-thermal-headband/p/452054620A-085

It's fleece lined so nice and warm, but also wicks sweat away like a champ.

Jumping in on this, I had it in my mind that I wouldn't get on with a headtorch and was recommended a body torch which honestly is amazing. I went for this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/WESTLIGHT-Adjustable-Reflective-Rechargeable-Waterproof/dp/B07R5R41W6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1U3W1I6A03EAU&dchild=1&keywords=body+torch&qid=1611306007&s=sports&sprefix=body+torch%2Csports%2C204&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNlVZV0sxSFQ5U0RCJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTU1OTk5MjBYNUQyRTc0M1lDTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTQ1MjgxM1VKM0lLMDhUREVYJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

As a side note, has anyone thought about entering the virtual London marathon in October? I'm thinking about it and thought it could be quite cool if we could get a group of us signed up to keep each other's training in check?

It crossed my mind we could even run it together (if rules allowed) and perhaps finish at Worthy Farm...

23 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

I mentioned Running Punks the other day and it’s a really cool concept. Listen to an entire album on your run and just share it with them on one of their socials.

I’m planning on getting out tomorrow morning but might not have time for an entire LP. Any suggestions for an EP?

What do you class as short? Time wise?