Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

2 hours ago, st dan said:

My top tip would be - don’t ‘overlayer’ when running in the rain. Often the temperature is several degrees warmer than usual, and the first instinct is to layer up in the rain.  
I would suggest just your normal running top and a lightweight water resistant jacket if you have one - oh and shorts .. always shorts!!

Totally agree with this. I once read, and now use as my guide “ wear one less layer than you think you need”. Works a treat, although as I usually wear t shirt and shorts I’m not sure I can go for any less without putting the Worthy cows off their grass.

Yes to shorts. All year round. But according to him indoors I’m a mad woman for running in shorts and t shirt in the freezing fog last week. TBH I was at just the right temperature. 

• Upvote 1

Did my first road 5km in 6 months in 22:06. Quite happy with that though exactly a minute short of my PB from June. 

The rain wasn't much of an issue tonight it was more the wind! The route I took meant every other km essentially I was running head on into the drizzly gale which wasn't pretty and I felt noticeably slower.

53 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Totally agree with this. I once read, and now use as my guide “ wear one less layer than you think you need”. Works a treat, although as I usually wear t shirt and shorts I’m not sure I can go for any less without putting the Worthy cows off their grass.

Yes to shorts. All year round. But according to him indoors I’m a mad woman for running in shorts and t shirt in the freezing fog last week. TBH I was at just the right temperature. 

Yup. The way I've heard it put is to dress for 10-15 minutes in when you've started warming up.

I do wear a pair of leggings under my shorts when it's cold. Used to be a shorts guy, but my old rugby coach said something along the lines of the colder your legs are the more prone they are to pulling, and given my history of things going ping I've stuck with it!

15 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

So the exercise is going well, but I've eaten five crumpets today. FIVE. 

😕 

No Sas, you haven't eaten five crumpets. What you have done is to carb load for tomorrow's exercise 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quark said:

I do wear a pair of leggings under my shorts when it's cold. Used to be a shorts guy, but my old rugby coach said something along the lines of the colder your legs are the more prone they are to pulling, and given my history of things going ping I've stuck with it!

Now there’s an image😀.

I always wear some form of compression down town for the same reason though as never want to do my hamstring again. Also always have a compression top to stop the chafing which has worked well.

Just ran 10k with compression pants, light trousers (always), compression long sleeve top and light running coat. Also had a wolly hat thing which i regretted as was to warm.

Anyone tips on running watches? Mines given up and main thing i want is something that has accurate gps, heart monitor and links with Strava. Willing to pay for something that will stand the test of time as well.

27 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Now there’s an image😀.

I always wear some form of compression down town for the same reason though as never want to do my hamstring again. Also always have a compression top to stop the chafing which has worked well.

Just ran 10k with compression pants, light trousers (always), compression long sleeve top and light running coat. Also had a wolly hat thing which i regretted as was to warm.

Anyone tips on running watches? Mines given up and main thing i want is something that has accurate gps, heart monitor and links with Strava. Willing to pay for something that will stand the test of time as well.

I'll model them for you at the next meet if you like.

Gear for tonight was the leggings and running shorts over the top, a light long sleeve running top and a lovely lightweight ronhill running jacket I treated myself to. Can't run with a hat as I massively overheat, but the cycling headband does wonders for keeping my ears warm (yes it's quite wide) and my earbuds in, while letting my head breathe.

Also got one of these for christmas and Iove it. Just feels really well made, nice and comfortable, proper reflective material and holds everything I need.

https://freetrain.co.uk/products/freetrain-vr

10k tonight as well, still not quite where I want to be but can definitely see the fitness coming back.

I wouldn't recommend a tomtom. I love my watch as tech, but the app that it syncs with is utter dog turd.

Edited by Quark

8 hours ago, ShakeyCrash said:

I have used a Garmin 235 for about 4 or 5 years and it is the dogs bananas and I would buy a 245 if I had to replace. I don't need the multi sport bits so don't need anything with more knobs and whistles.

I seem to remember that I agree with @Superscallywhen he said buy the best Garmin you can afford.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Now there’s an image😀.

Another vote for Garmin for a running watch.

My husband has the forerunner245 and I have the Vivoactive 3, which was a bit cheaper and the stats have helped so much with training. 

Be warned though, your usual Strava routes will likely come out as slightly shorter when you start logging on your watch and therefore you will be slightly slower than you thought you were! 

@Quark can't seem to quote today, but wanted to say that despite ignoring your pizza advice, I have invested in a running headband to keep my ears warm. Such a great idea!! Am yet to find the balance of right thickness of running gloves though... And my bum gets awfully cold for some reason 😕

Also, r.e. crumpets. I have one left. I'm out of carb loading excuses for today, so does that mean I can't eat it until tomorrow?

2 hours ago, pilton digger said:

I have used a Garmin 235 for about 4 or 5 years and it is the dogs bananas and I would buy a 245 if I had to replace. I don't need the multi sport bits so don't need anything with more knobs and whistles.

I seem to remember that I agree with @Superscallywhen he said buy the best Garmin you can afford.

I have been thinking of getting a sports watch for a while... Is a Garmin just good for running, or does it do cycling and calories burned climbing etc?

4 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I have been thinking of getting a sports watch for a while... Is a Garmin just good for running, or does it do cycling and calories burned climbing etc?

Don’t know what your budget is - but this is a great watch at a great price, covers everything you would need and super simple to use, easy to view display etc 

https://www.gpsoutlet.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-735xt-hr-gps-multisport-watch-black-newly-overhauled.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvtmH_piq7gIVD-rtCh26DwtrEAQYAiABEgKahfD_BwE

5 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

the bigger Garmins  do all sorts of pre-programmed activities, the 745 has the following:

Hiking, Skiing, Snowboarding, Backcountry Skiing, XC Classic and Skate Skiing, Stand up Paddleboarding, Kayaking, Rowing, Biking, Indoor Biking, Mountain Trail Biking, Pool Swimming, Open Water Swimming, Swimrun, Running, Treadmill Running, Indoor and Outdoor Track Running, Virtual Running, Trail Running, Strength, Cardio and Elliptical Training, Stair Stepping, Floor Climbing, Indoor Rowing, Pilates and Yoga

sort of covers most things  you can do with a watch that are legal.

6 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I know my garmin covers cycling, running, indoor rowing, cardio, weights, walking, swimming, Pilates, yoga and others high I haven’t loaded onto the watch.