Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

40 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

My last 5-a-side kickabout for at least a month tonight.

Need to get my enthusiasm back for running in the meantime. Any tips? Think I’m struggling getting up in the colder mornings.

Aiming to do two or three 5ks on weekday mornings and a 10k at the weekend.

Nothing for getting up early in the morning as I am the world worst for that, but to motivate myself to get out there and do a 5k I am currently using it as an opportunity to listen to new albums (or 2).  Today's will be This is kit and Boy Pablo which I've picked up from lurking in the new music thread!

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2020 at 4:39 PM, Ryan1984 said:

Need to get my enthusiasm back for running in the meantime. Any tips? Think I’m struggling getting up in the colder mornings.

There's the standard tips like lay your stuff out the night before, put your alarm over the other side of the room etc. 

I personally hate running early before work so I don't do it, why put yourself through something you don't like? If you prefer running later just go in the evening... it's dark and cold at either time! 

53 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

There's the standard tips like lay your stuff out the night before, put your alarm over the other side of the room etc. 

I personally hate running early before work so I don't do it, why put yourself through something you don't like? If you prefer running later just go in the evening... it's dark and cold at either time! 

I prefer morning runs as they set me up for the day. Also had scenes like this today - worth getting up for!

9BAFAC81-65BD-4518-8F26-689B394A1850.jpeg

Edited by Ryan1984
  • Upvote 2

On 11/4/2020 at 4:39 PM, Ryan1984 said:

In the same boat here. Ran loads on furlough, right up until about a month ago (but I much prefer treadmills weirdly). Also, my knee started clicking (presumably due to overuse).

Have been going out on my bike instead since lockdown (just got one in before the rain comes in), plus weights and core stuff at home. Usually do 7x a week but bringing that down to 5x (harder to motivate with no football or gym) for lockdown.

How is everyone else getting on?

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

In the same boat here. Ran loads on furlough, right up until about a month ago (but I much prefer treadmills weirdly). Also, my knee started clicking (presumably due to overuse).

Have been going out on my bike instead since lockdown (just got one in before the rain comes in), plus weights and core stuff at home. Usually do 7x a week but bringing that down to 5x (harder to motivate with no football or gym) for lockdown.

How is everyone else getting on?

Hope the knee's ok! 

Been ok so far, set a new 10km personal best on Tuesday, did it in just under 47 minutes. But gave blood for the first time Thursday so making sure I'm aok before running again, miss football training quite a bit but pleased to be running, really need to get into cycling but I see the price of a good bike and never get any further 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Has everyone finally given up?! Kept up with my five exercise a week for this lockdown, been cycling instead of jogging and my knee has stopped 'clicking' which is good. Interested to see how much fitness I've lost at football training on Weds. 

Is everyone else going back to the gym? As said on another thread, judging by the classes booked out in advance, looks like my gym will be a lot busier straight away than it was last time.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Has everyone finally given up?! Kept up with my five exercise a week for this lockdown, been cycling instead of jogging and my knee has stopped 'clicking' which is good. Interested to see how much fitness I've lost at football training on Weds. 

Is everyone else going back to the gym? As said on another thread, judging by the classes booked out in advance, looks like my gym will be a lot busier straight away than it was last time.

I’ve got a jab impending probably jan looking at how things are set out ... Dec is hard work anyway so I think I’m just going to hold off until I’ve had my vaccine now as it’s so close ... my gym did seem to be getting busier up till this last lockdown ... it will be an initial rush then quiet close to Christmas 🎄 and then the first few weeks in Jan will be the usual nightmare busyness but having to book added to that 

29 minutes ago, Homer said:

I'm currently trying to motivate myself to do some exercise. Sunday is usually climbing day.... However hungover I am, I can force myself to go to the climbing wall. It's much harder to bring myself to go to for s run!!

42 minutes ago, Homer said:

no, still going out at least 4 times a week for a run and having a bit of a row on off days.  I am back on contract over the winter so have to run later, during the summer i was loafing so ran when I felt like it.  Lovely run yesterday around the east side of the farm.  Starlings are back in numbers and making loads of noise.  It is a fantastic time of year to run, it is cool and quiet, when the low sun comes out it is glorious.  Ran my usual along the ridge above the village on Weds and the low sun in the direction of the Tor was pretty fab.

For me it is about enjoying the moment and the run itself rather than making it into a contest each time.  I don't really care how fast or how far, life is too short to make exercise into a guilt trip.

12 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

no, still going out at least 4 times a week for a run and having a bit of a row on off days.  I am back on contract over the winter so have to run later, during the summer i was loafing so ran when I felt like it.  Lovely run yesterday around the east side of the farm.  Starlings are back in numbers and making loads of noise.  It is a fantastic time of year to run, it is cool and quiet, when the low sun comes out it is glorious.  Ran my usual along the ridge above the village on Weds and the low sun in the direction of the Tor was pretty fab.

For me it is about enjoying the moment and the run itself rather than making it into a contest each time.  I don't really care how fast or how far, life is too short to make exercise into a guilt trip.

That's a good take on things - actually quite reluctant to stop running again as feel a bit 'judged' by Strava!

35 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I'm currently trying to motivate myself to do some exercise. Sunday is usually climbing day.... However hungover I am, I can force myself to go to the climbing wall. It's much harder to bring myself to go to for s run!!

Was gonna have a day off as did weights and bike yesterday - though you have motivated me, reckon I'll pop out on my for a bit later (may be with a beer though!).

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Was gonna have a day off as did weights and bike yesterday - though you have motivated me, reckon I'll pop out on my for a bit later (may be with a beer though!).

Aye, a little bit of peer pressure helps. I knew if I came on here and read this thread it would help get myself out the door. And it worked :) Just a 6.5k but better than nowt. Fook me though, it's cold out. My hands were like ice. Gonna need some running gloves if I intend to do that again over the winter! 

I like @pilton digger's mantra about not turning exercise into a guilt trip. Very good. I'm certainly not the fastest runner ever, but it doesn't matter - still better than sitting on the sofa all day

EDIT: Hang on a minute... @Homer, are you drinking a beer as you run???

Edited by Sasperella

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Aye, a little bit of peer pressure helps. I knew if I came on here and read this thread it would help get myself out the door. And it worked :) Just a 6.5k but better than nowt. Fook me though, it's cold out. My hands were like ice. Gonna need some running gloves if I intend to do that again over the winter! 

I like @pilton digger's mantra about not turning exercise into a guilt trip. Very good. I'm certainly not the fastest runner ever, but it doesn't matter - still better than sitting on the sofa all day

Good work! I forgot the cricket was on, so the best I managed was a walk - and I've just opened a bottle of red.

4 hours ago, Homer said:

That's a good take on things - actually quite reluctant to stop running again as feel a bit 'judged' by Strava!

Just a thought but have you tried just turning Strava off? There is something to be said for exercising without a watch/ app etc. Just do it for the pleasure and not the outcome.

Not given up, just been posting a bit less tbh. Exercise has gone up if anything, into a nice rhythm of 2 days weights and 1 day running.

Not fussed about beasting myself atm, just aiming for some consistency and enjoying the movement.

Although someone has suggested doing a rat race in the Lake District next summer. I mean, what kind of idiot would think about doing that?

13 hours ago, Quark said:

Not given up, just been posting a bit less tbh. Exercise has gone up if anything, into a nice rhythm of 2 days weights and 1 day running.

Not fussed about beasting myself atm, just aiming for some consistency and enjoying the movement.

Although someone has suggested doing a rat race in the Lake District next summer. I mean, what kind of idiot would think about doing that?

Did the big rat race event a few years ago - good fun. There's a decent party at the end of it too.

On 50/50 furlough for Dec now so pretty easy to ramp the exercise pace up. Did bike and weights yesterday. Gonna celebrate the end of lockdown today by, er, going to the gym and football training later! (Nice that I'll be able to go to the gym off-peak too.)

Edited by Homer

I've not given up, just took a bit of time off of efests. 

On 12/1/2020 at 6:38 PM, Quark said:

Though someone has suggested doing a rat race in the Lake District next summer. I mean, what kind of idiot would think about doing that?

That looks insane! Is it a bit close to Glastonbury?

Or is just me who takes forever to recover from festivals these days! 

Just ran for the first time in a month. Banged out 7k and no 'clicking' from my knee (was tweaking a bit due to overuse on furlough so just did cycling for cardio on lockdown).

Been to the gym three times now and been pretty empty each time. My app says it's always about a third full. The cardio room is always dead (as was spin last night), but the weights room is busy (I guess they're the hardcore).

On 11/29/2020 at 11:11 AM, Sasperella said:

Ask Sasparella @Luigias she regularly climbs on a Sunday (see above)!

Edited by Homer
  • Upvote 1