Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

23 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I went to Corfu as it's still one of the air bridge islands and it was so lovely :) It felt nice to be able to spend some more time outside and have a little break from everything going on at the moment. 

In other news Brighton Marathon has been postponed from April to September next year already! I'm feeling a bit down about it and hope it's not a sign of things to come.

I'm in need of finding a smaller spring marathon if anyone knows of any good ones? I'm happy to travel too! 

Ohh I stayed in a lovely part of Corfu, it was around Nisaki. 

The Bath Half got moved to September recently too so that makes two of us looking for a small event around spring (admittedly different distances but still) 

Went back to rugby for the first time in a good few weeks last night.  Decided that it's been going on for long enough without any outbreaks for me to be comfortable to get back and get involved.  Was really well set up actually, they're now taking everyone's temperature before you even get onto the pitches, table service only (max 6 people) in the bar and ordering by whatsapp.

Have to say it felt really good to get ball in hand and run properly.  Plus we were training on our artificial pitch, which for a runner like me is an absolute dream :D

Also felt no issues from the knee, which was good.  Got a physio appointment on Saturday to get it looked at, so hopefully get some idea of what's wrong with the dman thing!

Back to squatting three figures this morning, which felt great.  Feels like there's plenty left in the tank still to go heavier, but making myself rebuild slowly given knee issues and my general habit of getting all excited and absolute blowing my legs out for 2 weeks! :D

You may recall I entered a half marathon for the very first time. You may recall also I had a substantial accident when I was half way through training, resulting in surgery.

Well the event was almost 2 weeks ago now, and woefully underprepared due to the curtailed training I gave it my best shot. Half way round, I developed a nasty bout of anterior shin splints 😫

But... I fucking did it!!! Time was compromised, only managed 2 hrs 25, but I didn’t come last in any category. I’ll take that. Roll on the next one (after a full recovery).

Ps yes I’m an idiot for carrying on with an injury!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, John the Moth said:

You may recall I entered a half marathon for the very first time. You may recall also I had a substantial accident when I was half way through training, resulting in surgery.

Well the event was almost 2 weeks ago now, and woefully underprepared due to the curtailed training I gave it my best shot. Half way round, I developed a nasty bout of anterior shin splints 😫

But... I fucking did it!!! Time was compromised, only managed 2 hrs 25, but I didn’t come last in any category. I’ll take that. Roll on the next one (after a full recovery).

Sorry to hear about the injury but well done for carrying on through it! I'm sure I felt great to finish, next year you'll have the experience (hopefully no injuries) and you'll breeze through it.

8 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Must confess I remember you talking about the injury but forgotten the details, sorry!  But in any case that's amazing to come back from surgery and run your first half.  Massive kudos!

I'm thinking of doing my first ultra next year and have found a nice one to dip my toe in, it' a double marathon on the South Downs Way ending in Winchester, which is pretty much my closest city. 

It looks perfect (for a double marathon) as I know the South Downs Way, I've done half of the route already just for fun and it has pretty generous cut off times so not too pressured. 

However,  it is going to be held on the 21st June... Would it be detrimental to my festival experience to have done 50+miles on the Saturday before? I think if there wasn't a bit of a question mark around Glasto happening I wouldn't even be considering it but I don't want to end up with neither happening.

2021 is already causing issues 🤔

6 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I'm thinking of doing my first ultra next year and have found a nice one to dip my toe in, it' a double marathon on the South Downs Way ending in Winchester, which is pretty much my closest city. 

It looks perfect (for a double marathon) as I know the South Downs Way, I've done half of the route already just for fun and it has pretty generous cut off times so not too pressured. 

However,  it is going to be held on the 21st June... Would it be detrimental to my festival experience to have done 50+miles on the Saturday before? I think if there wasn't a bit of a question mark around Glasto happening I wouldn't even be considering it but I don't want to end up with neither happening.

Is that the Race To The King? Beast!

15 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Jesus I did a South Downs marathon walk and that was hard enough 🙂 

Did first run for about 3 or 4 weeks yesterday. Ran 2km then did run/walk/run/walk for 30minutes. Wasn’t too bad might be able to run 5km non stop again quite soon, thought I’d be back to square one after weeks of booze and food and no exercise.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gmb1992 said:

Yes it is! I'm so very tempted but I'm not convinced it's a good idea. 

One of my mates has done it and it's a bit brutal, but would be amazing!  Can see you'd not be certain about doing it the week before the fest though, legs might be a bit shot!

In theory we'll be up on the downs in a couple of weeks with my brother, going to load up the bergens and, in theory, start around Beachy Head and follow(ish) the SDW back towards Lewes.  Looking at routes as it'd be cool to find something that takes us past he Long Man at Wilmington

3 hours ago, Quark said:

One of my mates has done it and it's a bit brutal, but would be amazing!  Can see you'd not be certain about doing it the week before the fest though, legs might be a bit shot!

In theory we'll be up on the downs in a couple of weeks with my brother, going to load up the bergens and, in theory, start around Beachy Head and follow(ish) the SDW back towards Lewes.  Looking at routes as it'd be cool to find something that takes us past he Long Man at Wilmington

Nice! I've only done the Queen Elizabeth Country Park to Winchester section of the SDW but I hear it's supposed to get nicer the further east you go

18 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Nice! I've only done the Queen Elizabeth Country Park to Winchester section of the SDW but I hear it's supposed to get nicer the further east you go

I love it.  My neck of the woods is between Amberley and Brighton, so going to be exploring a bit myself.  Done some route planning over lunch, reckon I've got a decent route to take in the Seven Sisters and the Long Man at Wilmington. Should be cool as I've never got round to seeing him before!

Never been that far west, is it not that nice around Winchester way then?

16 minutes ago, Quark said:

I love it.  My neck of the woods is between Amberley and Brighton, so going to be exploring a bit myself.  Done some route planning over lunch, reckon I've got a decent route to take in the Seven Sisters and the Long Man at Wilmington. Should be cool as I've never got round to seeing him before!

Never been that far west, is it not that nice around Winchester way then?

Cool, It's still stunning the last 20 or so miles to Winchester to be fair but I think some of the views are better further east.

Loading up a bergen sounds pretty brutal actually, will you be running?

Just now, gmb1992 said:

Cool, It's still stunning the last 20 or so miles to Winchester to be fair but I think some of the views are better further east.

Loading up a bergen sounds pretty brutal actually, will you be running?

No, not this time.  It's the weekend we were due to be doing the Paras 10 Run that got cancelled so we wanted to do something, but we'd all go at a different pace and it's intended as a day out together, so we'll be walking. Probably not a bad thing either as my brother's recovering from a hamstring tear and my knee isn't 100%. Mrs Q can't run because of her knees but she can march faster than a lot of people jog so reckon we'll still be going along at a fair old lick!

Going to see how our various aches & pains are doing as we get closer before we decide how much weight to chuck in them, but it'll involve several flasks of tea as an absolute minimum! :P

• Upvote 1

With gyms due to close is everyone looking forward to outdoor workouts and runs in the cold and damp, although that won't probably phase some of the hardened runners who contribute to this thread.

I'll be having my last weights session in the gym at lunchtime then it's back to burpees, press ups and jump squats outside for the next 4 weeks!

Posted this photo on good news thread, climb these at least twice a week. Having retired I am acutely aware that I have to keep moving or I would end up on the couch eating biscuits and watching trash tv.  It’s actually easier going up, going down requires concentration or I would end up on my arse, as I did last week. Exercise is so important for mental health, just being out in the fresh air and enjoying the countryside is a great tonic. 

C24E1322-2A3B-420D-92A7-D0C03EF03EE8.thumb.jpeg.eaff23083c9e2ef02537dd37430c1530.jpeg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

As the weather gets colder and wetter,  I enjoying running more and more. Today was just about cool enough although only needed shorts and vest. Oh and a hat to keep the rain out the eyes.

Must admit I feel the same with my wandering about the hills and walking the shore. I prefer it to the hotter temperatures of summer and the bloody midges! Just get the right clothing on to protect from the elements. 

You can clear your mind of negativity,  enjoy the natural beauty of the surroundings and it creates a great sense of well-being. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I definitely prefer my weekend runs in the colder months but I don't enjoy the dark winter evenings. 

Dark nights mean I have to change from my more rural routes and stick to well lit areas which can become a bit of a drag. 

I did a virtual half marathon on Saturday and can safely say it was my wettest ever run! I was wringing out my t shirt whilst running and my leggings began to foam (I can only think because of laundry detergent 🤷‍♀️) Still loved it though! 

• Upvote 1