Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Mmm, squat rack....

Honestly think if I invested in a squat rack, olympic bar and enough plates for squatting & deadlifting I could probably cancel my gym membership

Been slowly building up the equipment for when I finish at my current workplace, which is expected to be next June now, where I can use the on-site gym during my lunch.  Got a bench and a few dumbbells, although quite limited with the weight as individual dumbbells are fairly expensive.  Also got a bar and EZ bar with plenty of plates, and a pull up/dips frame.  With the addition of the squat rack I'm after it will allow me to do barbell press as well as squats so will pretty much have all what I need at home, well apart from a rowing machine!

2 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Been slowly building up the equipment for when I finish at my current workplace, which is expected to be next June now, where I can use the on-site gym during my lunch.  Got a bench and a few dumbbells, although quite limited with the weight as individual dumbbells are fairly expensive.  Also got a bar and EZ bar with plenty of plates, and a pull up/dips frame.  With the addition of the squat rack I'm after it will allow me to do barbell press as well as squats so will pretty much have all what I need at home, well apart from a rowing machine!

Tell me about it! Our PT that we're having sessions with on a Friday is just starting out and building up her kit, set of hex dumbbells up to 12.5kg has cost her £600!  

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Tell me about it! Our PT that we're having sessions with on a Friday is just starting out and building up her kit, set of hex dumbbells up to 12.5kg has cost her £600!  

I bought this set a couple of years back https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-dumbbell-set-weight-rack.html think it was about £200, and also added a set of 30kg.  Could really do with some 12.5kg and a couple of weights between 20kg and 30kg.  When I revert to to the garage full time I'll probably invest but got enough to get me by at the mo.

Have any of you got any recommendations on fitness trackers?  Looking to upgrade on my basic stopwatch for my workouts and runs!

I know there was a discussion a few weeks back on watches but I wasn't sure if they were just specific to running.  I'm after something that monitors my fitness when doing all types of activities not just running, if there is such a thing.

On 10/13/2020 at 8:37 AM, Padgey said:

Have any of you got any recommendations on fitness trackers?  Looking to upgrade on my basic stopwatch for my workouts and runs!

I know there was a discussion a few weeks back on watches but I wasn't sure if they were just specific to running.  I'm after something that monitors my fitness when doing all types of activities not just running, if there is such a thing.

Mine is very much a run / cycle watch so can't help you there, but I know Mrs Q really likes her Polar Ignite

https://www.polar.com/uk-en/ignite

I think it's got a decent catalogue of activities that you can track, and not a bank breaker.

• Upvote 1

On 10/9/2020 at 7:06 PM, Quark said:

An hour of kettlebells and burpees in the mud tonight was predictably vomit-inducing. Does make the beer at the end of it feel well earned though :D

Please tell me you had someone shouting at you whilst doing this and you didn't just push yourself? If so, what kind of supremely dedicated masochist are you???

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Please tell me you had someone shouting at you whilst doing this and you didn't just push yourself? If so, what kind of supremely dedicated masochist are you???

Ha I wish!  Not shouting, but we do have someone who does the PT for us in the park for an hour on a Friday.  She's a mate of Mrs Q's who teaches some of the Les Mills classes, but is just qualified as a PT as well.  Apparently loves training us as she can just tell us to do stuff and we get on with it!

I'd love to have the discipline to do that kind of HIIT stuff on my own, but I just can't stick to it.  It's the big gap in my training since I wound down the rugby, so having something to replace it is bang on.  I can do all the rest of it under my own steam (just about) but not that!

Been exercising 7x a week for ages, but only hit 4 this week as on holiday. Ah well! Been a bit lazy on the cardio too - trying to convince myself that I'm doing it to give my knee a rest.

I do 18/6 as a way of life too - but even been going crazy and having breakfast!

I do need to see a physio about my knee.  Ever since I buggered the patella tendon last May it's not been quite right.  Over lockdown it's developed a slightly worrying grinding noise when putting any tension through it like squatting, and particularly noticeable when I go upstairs and my foot is in front of my body.

The explosive stuff in PT like jump squats and lunges are aggravating it as well, so definitely time to get it checked :(

20 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Still haven't got back into my running.... Feeling generally quite lethargic and tired recently. 

Same, just done an 11km walk though but really need to get back running. Did couch to 5km then got 5km time down to 24mins. Then got distance up to 8lm....then went on holiday for a week, had two week isolation and haven’t really started again.

On 10/16/2020 at 1:55 PM, Quark said:

I'd love to have the discipline to do that kind of HIIT stuff on my own, but I just can't stick to it.

Haha, well, I'm somewhat relieved! I do much better with someone shouting at me. Or at the very least, a bit of good old fashioned peer pressure! These 4x a week zoom exercise "classes" with my friends have been great for that - they know of I don't show up. Plus they're all men, and it makes me go harder cuz I don't want be the slow girl!

Covid has eaten right into my exercise routine this week. Not because I felt particularly ill, but because everyone made me promise that I'd rest my body incase it hit me hard on day 7 (it didn't). First day tomorrow that I'm allowed back into society, so I'm straight down the climbing wall... And considering squeezing a cheeky run in before brunch. 

On 10/17/2020 at 1:39 PM, morph100 said:

Same, just done an 11km walk though but really need to get back running. Did couch to 5km then got 5km time down to 24mins. Then got distance up to 8lm....then went on holiday for a week, had two week isolation and haven’t really started again.

Hope you get back into it soon! Walking is great for you though :)

I've just got back from a week eating and drinking in Greece and am feeling very bleurgh!

I did manage to keep steps up whilst away and 2 x runs but I not feeling in very good shape at all, it's crazy how quickly you can lose the fitness! 

I'm looking forward to getting back into shape with an actual Half Marathon event in 2 months to keep me motivated... I can't wait to put a number on 🤩

6 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

I've just got back from a week eating and drinking in Greece and am feeling very bleurgh!

I did manage to keep steps up whilst away and 2 x runs but I not feeling in very good shape at all, it's crazy how quickly you can lose the fitness! 

I'm looking forward to getting back into shape with an actual Half Marathon event in 2 months to keep me motivated... I can't wait to put a number on 🤩

Ohh I love Greece, what island did you go too? Crete is probably my favourite.

I'm sure once you get back into it you'll be back in shape in no time. 

19 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Ohh I love Greece, what island did you go too? Crete is probably my favourite.

I'm sure once you get back into it you'll be back in shape in no time. 

I went to Corfu as it's still one of the air bridge islands and it was so lovely :) It felt nice to be able to spend some more time outside and have a little break from everything going on at the moment. 

In other news Brighton Marathon has been postponed from April to September next year already! I'm feeling a bit down about it and hope it's not a sign of things to come.

I'm in need of finding a smaller spring marathon if anyone knows of any good ones? I'm happy to travel too!