Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

Manchester marathon 2021 has already postponed from April to October. 

I really hope Brighton marathon goes ahead in April, it's such a mind f*ck starting to marathon train knowing that it might not even happen 😔

I don't think I can take another year of no live music or running events. They both bring so much joy!! 

6 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

Manchester marathon 2021 has already postponed from April to October. 

I really hope Brighton marathon goes ahead in April, it's such a mind f*ck starting to marathon train knowing that it might not even happen 😔

I don't think I can take another year of no live music or running events. They both bring so much joy!! 

Hmm, I've entered for the Forest of Dean trails half in March. Could do with it going ahead.  Having events to train for definitely focuses the mind!

There's a half marathon here in Dublin at the end of November which has yet to be cancelled so I'm training for that. I assume it'll get cancelled but have figured out its roughly the same distance from my house to my parents so I'll just run out to them if it doesn't go ahead so at least I'm aiming for something!

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Hmm, I've entered for the Forest of Dean trails half in March. Could do with it going ahead.  Having events to train for definitely focuses the mind!

14 minutes ago, TheBurns said:

There's a half marathon here in Dublin at the end of November which has yet to be cancelled so I'm training for that. I assume it'll get cancelled but have figured out its roughly the same distance from my house to my parents so I'll just run out to them if it doesn't go ahead so at least I'm aiming for something!

Having an event in the diary keeps me disciplined and also mean that I'm more likely to push myself on the day and get a PB which again makes me more motivated!

I hope you half goes ahead @TheBurns , I've got my fingers crossed for a half in December. It's 4  x just over 5km laps but it's better than nothing!

22 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Since I'm back to full training and gunning for my target of running a half marathon in 1:44 I wanted to share my fundraiser which raises money for a cause that is quite personal for me. 

Thanks for giving this a read :)

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/gareth-leitch

Anyone else donating to this ? .... 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

oh Mate , on the upside , it gives you a bit longer to work on your fitness , and it will be a bit cooler for the run . the downside is , they are moving a mass event from july to sept .... Glasto is in JUNE !!!!! 😞

Hey Durbs, thanks and yes you're correct regarding the training! 

The event was moved from March to September so don't get too worried about Glasto yet! :)

Just done 6km on the treadmill in just under 30 minutes, finished off with a bit of work on the battle ropes.  So glad to be back running again even though I'm only stepping it up gradually each time, felt like I had a bit more in me but didn't want to aggravate the achillies.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Padgey said:

Just done 6km on the treadmill in just under 30 minutes, finished off with a bit of work on the battle ropes.  So glad to be back running again even though I'm only stepping it up gradually each time, felt like I had a bit more in me but didn't want to aggravate the achillies.

Big old thumbs up to injury recovery!

• Upvote 1

First visit to the gym in 7 months this morning! Set up was really good, pre-booked only so numbers were low (plus it a morning session so quiet anyway), time between sessions for them to clean up, one way system around the kit and plenty of anti bac to wipe everything down.

Only going to be a once a week thing as I can do most stuff at home, but was sooooo nice to be able to squat and deadlift properly again!! :D Also meant I only used a bike to warm up and one rack to work out, so wasn't moving around much.

And nice to see some things never change.  The only deadlift platform was being used by one guy doing kettlebell swings in front of the mirror, because of course it bloody was :lol:

Random question but fitness related:

Looking at converting my garage in to a home gym. 

Flooring wise not sure what the best / not going to break the bank option is?

Has anyone got any experience of doing similar, if so do you have any advice on anything be it flooring related or other?

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Has anyone got any experience of doing similar, if so do you have any advice on anything be it flooring related or other?

Have you looked into he interlocking gym flooring?

I'm not sure how hardy it is for a whole floor but if you've got any weights/ barbells it can be handy to go underneath them. 

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

So funny enough it's something I've been looking into doing for ages, and plan on doing soon as it's been fine in its current state over summer but want it to be a bit more pleasant if we're going to continue using it over winter.

Depends on what you want to do in there really.  If you just want something that's going to be suitable for walking/standing on and having your kit like a bench or whatever on, some pretty cheap foam matting from B&Q is about £12 for a couple of square meters, or I've found some stuff that's a couple of mm thicker that'll be a bit more expensive. 

https://www.diy.com/departments/auto-pro-black-interlocking-floor-tile-2-16m-pack/1270021_BQ.prd?ds_rl=1272379&ds_rl=1272409&ds_rl=1272379&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8fr7BRDSARIsAK0Qqr7vuXsMIpPG4UjmE2Gvvv_BGGhepGczoqZaEt3-20fh-komC1X-qPEaAjl3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.slip-not.co.uk/size/Eva-Gym-Mats/3863?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8fr7BRDSARIsAK0Qqr4Otw083BXQP-I7S0q8VMxbeUl7C-WeQlcYVztRNVMEYZ2lvvvntQoaAgayEALw_wcB

If you're planning to chuck some weights around and feel like you'll be dropping weights, like olympic lifts, heavy deadlifts or dropping heavy dumbbells, you'll probably want to invest in something a bit more hard wearing. Gut feel is for a home gym you'll probably get away with the cheaper options. 

Have something similar in my garage, been down a couple of years now and have done the job.  I did want some harder wearing ones but they were going to be expensive to cover the area I wanted.  I'm going to be extending a bit more as I'm eying up a squat rack so I will get another couple of packs of the softer ones.  Think I got my original ones from Argos.

10 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Have something similar in my garage, been down a couple of years now and have done the job.  I did want some harder wearing ones but they were going to be expensive to cover the area I wanted.  I'm going to be extending a bit more as I'm eying up a squat rack so I will get another couple of packs of the softer ones.  Think I got my original ones from Argos.

Mmm, squat rack....

Honestly think if I invested in a squat rack, olympic bar and enough plates for squatting & deadlifting I could probably cancel my gym membership

4 hours ago, Quark said:

So funny enough it's something I've been looking into doing for ages, and plan on doing soon as it's been fine in its current state over summer but want it to be a bit more pleasant if we're going to continue using it over winter.

Depends on what you want to do in there really.  If you just want something that's going to be suitable for walking/standing on and having your kit like a bench or whatever on, some pretty cheap foam matting from B&Q is about £12 for a couple of square meters, or I've found some stuff that's a couple of mm thicker that'll be a bit more expensive. 

https://www.diy.com/departments/auto-pro-black-interlocking-floor-tile-2-16m-pack/1270021_BQ.prd?ds_rl=1272379&ds_rl=1272409&ds_rl=1272379&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8fr7BRDSARIsAK0Qqr7vuXsMIpPG4UjmE2Gvvv_BGGhepGczoqZaEt3-20fh-komC1X-qPEaAjl3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.slip-not.co.uk/size/Eva-Gym-Mats/3863?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8fr7BRDSARIsAK0Qqr4Otw083BXQP-I7S0q8VMxbeUl7C-WeQlcYVztRNVMEYZ2lvvvntQoaAgayEALw_wcB

If you're planning to chuck some weights around and feel like you'll be dropping weights, like olympic lifts, heavy deadlifts or dropping heavy dumbbells, you'll probably want to invest in something a bit more hard wearing. Gut feel is for a home gym you'll probably get away with the cheaper options. 

Thanks for that mate.

So my thinking is get a turbo trainer in there for the bike and buy a treadmill (suggestions welcome on that front!) then get a tv setup on the wall so I can pass the time away whilst using either.

I'll also look at getting a bench, squat rack and pull up bar.

I'm just after something which makes it feel a bit more "gym" like rather than a garage.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Despite declaring “never again” I’ve entered the London Marathon ballot.

I hadn't thought about it until you said that, but seeing as how rugby's probably not happening for a while....

Anyway, you loved it last time.  I distinctly remember how joyous you were.

18 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Haven't ran in over a week seem to have lost a bit of motivation for it, football training tonight though so hopefully the release of endorphins will remind me how much I enjoy exercise.

Sometimes that's all it takes.  How's the aches and pains?