Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

54 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah, I hate treadmills!  The weight adds an extra dimension to it, just makes it a bit...different.

I'll check his twitter for a donation link. Bloody lunatic. Every time someone tells me I'm nuts for the stuff I do, I just point them in his direction.

Ha ha - genuine ‘lol’

6 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

I just got back from a few days in the Brecon Beacons and if my run yesterday was anything to go by, my legs are pretty tired! 

It was so worth getting out in the fresh air in the mountains though, I feel like a new person. It's hard to imagine all the rubbish that's going on in the world when you are somewhere so beautiful :) 

Anyway, I'm on a 4 week countdown to my (hopefully) holiday to Greece so I'm going to need to get a bit more serious about fitness things and have a virtual half mara to fit in too!!  

Where you off to? We allegedly go to Mykonos next month (got added for quarantine last week).

3 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

Can you share the donation link please quark , I woul love to donate 

After a day at work, a trip to get new trainers after the ones I got were too small (thank you Nike ), a train to Llandudno, a bus to Llanwrst, a to Betws-y-Coed to catch the last bus of the night after the first bus didn't agree with Google Maps as to where it should go (that bodes well for tomorrow), a first glimpse of Snowdon (it's very hilly around here 😬, then traipsing around Llanberis to find some food, I've finally reached base camp. Tomorrow we ride. Actually, I wish we rode, it'd be easier. Apologies if I'm not my normal replying to everyone in the next few days, most spare moments will be spent eating. I do promise to like, love and laugh at all your comments though. Please keep them coming, they'll help so much. I'm off to bed in a bit, 43% of the way to my fundraising total. That's like me running to the Mersey. Almost home, but nowhere near Scafell. Let's get to both of those targets. Are you with me?
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/summit2summit

I think he;s running up Snwden, then to Scafell, then up Scafell.

12 minutes ago, Homer said:
After a day at work, a trip to get new trainers after the ones I got were too small (thank you Nike ), a train to Llandudno, a bus to Llanwrst, a to Betws-y-Coed to catch the last bus of the night after the first bus didn't agree with Google Maps as to where it should go (that bodes well for tomorrow), a first glimpse of Snowdon (it's very hilly around here 😬, then traipsing around Llanberis to find some food, I've finally reached base camp. Tomorrow we ride. Actually, I wish we rode, it'd be easier. Apologies if I'm not my normal replying to everyone in the next few days, most spare moments will be spent eating. I do promise to like, love and laugh at all your comments though. Please keep them coming, they'll help so much. I'm off to bed in a bit, 43% of the way to my fundraising total. That's like me running to the Mersey. Almost home, but nowhere near Scafell. Let's get to both of those targets. Are you with me?

Incredible stuff @Superscally good luck with that target 

On 9/11/2020 at 7:43 AM, Big durbs said:

But , and here’s the shocker ..... I love it , I have been going since the end of July and now I’m going 5 or 6 times a week!  I have become addicted to the gym , and that’s a sentence I NEVER thought I would say out loud.

So as it turns out, a JD Gym is opening on Thurs about 15 min walk from my house. About the same price as my current gym, but I'm much more likely to walk there given how close it is (and not just the distance as an excuse). Had a look round at the weekend and its kinda funny how they've divided all the studio up into blocks for people to stand in sufficiently distanced from one another! Part of me does wonder how long it's gonna be before they close them all again though....

On 9/11/2020 at 9:36 AM, Quark said:

Running in winter is surprisingly fine if you've got some cold / wet weather kit, and so long as you know you've got a nice hot shower to come back to. I actually really enjoy it now, but appreciate it might be a bit different for a woman running around a city in the dark :(

Yeh, maybe its the kit that I need. I don't mind running in cold as much as rain, but I think its one of those things that is never as bad as you think it will be. I reckon running in the dark is ok before 9pm, as long as you don't cut through parks. After about 10 though, around queen's park can get eerily quiet...

Just did a 7k tonight after a loooong time, and it felt so good and weirdly easy! Nice to know that all the zoom circuits and online hiit classes have been doing something!

15 minutes ago, Homer said:

I repeat. Lunatic.

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

So as it turns out, a JD Gym is opening on Thurs about 15 min walk from my house. About the same price as my current gym, but I'm much more likely to walk there given how close it is (and not just the distance as an excuse). Had a look round at the weekend and its kinda funny how they've divided all the studio up into blocks for people to stand in sufficiently distanced from one another! Part of me does wonder how long it's gonna be before they close them all again though....

Yeh, maybe its the kit that I need. I don't mind running in cold as much as rain, but I think its one of those things that is never as bad as you think it will be. I reckon running in the dark is ok before 9pm, as long as you don't cut through parks. After about 10 though, around queen's park can get eerily quiet...

Just did a 7k tonight after a loooong time, and it felt so good and weirdly easy! Nice to know that all the zoom circuits and online hiit classes have been doing something!

Kit does make a difference. Get some decent leggings, a reasonably breathable lightweight waterproof and a pair of gloves and you're set. A fleece headband is good as well, I use a lightweight one that's normally for cycling, keeps my ears warm but lets heat out the top. Sorted :)

9 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Totally agree with just joining the gym nearest to your house - need to remove as many barriers to not go as poss (having said that can't be bothered this morning!).

8 hours ago, Big durbs said:

Done , thanks for the link buddy , good luck @Superscally my admiration goes with you , me and Mrs D climbed Snowdon last year , and that was bloody hard going let alone running it , hope your in-laws make a good recovery.

I think, according to social media, he's just run up Snowdon in an hour and a quarter.

10 hours ago, Quark said:

Kit does make a difference. Get some decent leggings, a reasonably breathable lightweight waterproof and a pair of gloves and you're set. A fleece headband is good as well, I use a lightweight one that's normally for cycling, keeps my ears warm but lets heat out the top. Sorted :)

A fleece headband for chilly ears is a great idea!! Definitely need to get this stuff sorted in the next few weeks...

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Totally agree with just joining the gym nearest to your house - need to remove as many barriers to not go as poss (having said that can't be bothered this morning!).

I remember one particular incident last year in the depths of winter, when I'd stupidly booked at 6.15 spin class. It's half an hour walk away, so I got up at 5.30, put my gym kit on, and then properly contemplated walking round queen's park in the freezing cold darkness and though "fuck that". 

I know that's bad gym etiquette, but needless to say, I learnt my lesson pretty quickly and never booked at that time again!

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

A fleece headband for chilly ears is a great idea!! Definitely need to get this stuff sorted in the next few weeks...

I've got one of these.  Well, it's the version from a few years ago so not identical, but same principle.  Lightweight and fleece lined, use it for riding and running.

https://www.castelli-cycling.com/gb/men/accessories/cycling-caps/p/452054620A-023

Edited by Quark

I'm off hiking in the Lake District next week.

I used lockdown to get fitter. Took up the #Walk1000Miles2020 challenge which I should complete in early October (924 miles to date). Also did the Hadrian's Wall National Trail coast to coast, 84 miles, in July which was a great experience. Hopefully stands me in good stead for the rigours of Glastonbury!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for all the kind.words and donations guys. Two major problems, one self-inflicted, one beyond my control. Did Snowdon too quickly, but I don't care because it was fun. Made my quads hate me though. Sorry quads. The other one was awful gastro trouble, just couldn't eat. Sucked the life outta me, but hopeful for an improvement tomorrow. Going to have to set a lower mileage total due to today's premature halt, but to be honest, I was never doing it for a record or owt and another day on the road will do no harm to the fundraising. Especially if I suffer as much as I did today. 117,000 steps...

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Thanks for all the kind.words and donations guys. Two major problems, one self-inflicted, one beyond my control. Did Snowdon too quickly, but I don't care because it was fun. Made my quads hate me though. Sorry quads. The other one was awful gastro trouble, just couldn't eat. Sucked the life outta me, but hopeful for an improvement tomorrow. Going to have to set a lower mileage total due to today's premature halt, but to be honest, I was never doing it for a record or owt and another day on the road will do no harm to the fundraising. Especially if I suffer as much as I did today. 117,000 steps...

you are bloody incredible , phenomenal effort good luck tomorrow 

9 hours ago, Superscally said:

Fingers crossed for a recovery bud, can't imagine what doing this without being able to fuel properly must be like!

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

How're the achilles feeling today Padge?

Not too bad, left one is fine, the right one which I'm having a bit more problems with is a little sore but nothing like what it was a few weeks ago, doing the circular motion while at my desk is helping.  It's weights today so they will get a rest and then back on the treadmill tomorrow.

• Like 1