Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

Now got PT in the park on a Friday night with Mrs Q, had our first one last week. Lots of kettlebells, burpees and all that sort of stuff.  Worked out really well, it's all stuff I can do myself but it's really hard to motivate on my own.  The trainer's someone we know so happy with what she's doing and trust her to keep all her kit clean.  Only downside is that it's been so long since I've done anything like that the DOMs took days to get rid of! :lol:

Got a couple of TAB runs under my belt now as well, not up to full weight on the bag but good to get used to running with it again. Made it very clear to my brother that if he wants to beat me he's going to have to bloody work for it!

So, who has gone back to the gym?

I've been doing alright over lockdown. Had morning yoga, a 4x a week circuits class with my mates via zoom, the odd run, and if i was feeling really keen, a hiit/strength online class. I've definitely got stronger (if the number of press ups I can do is anything to go by), so in many ways I have no reason to go back to the gym. 

But... As I live in a flat, if its raining and I have to do my classes indoors it kind of minimises the amount of hardcore cardio I can do. It's rained a lot, but I've made it outside enough times to balance it out. Glasgow nights draw in quick though, and soon enough its gonna be too dark and too cold to be exercising in my garden before or after work. Plus my neighbours will think I'm bonkers.

I suppose I could try and get all the cardio I need from running and/or cycling,  but I'm not sure how much I'm going to enjoy that either come November/December. 

14 hours ago, Quark said:

Now got PT in the park on a Friday night with Mrs Q, had our first one last week. Lots of kettlebells, burpees and all that sort of stuff.  Worked out really well, it's all stuff I can do myself but it's really hard to motivate on my own.  The trainer's someone we know so happy with what she's doing and trust her to keep all her kit clean.  Only downside is that it's been so long since I've done anything like that the DOMs took days to get rid of! :lol:

Got a couple of TAB runs under my belt now as well, not up to full weight on the bag but good to get used to running with it again. Made it very clear to my brother that if he wants to beat me he's going to have to bloody work for it!

I imagine the second downside is that it can't happen any more? 😔 ...although it looks like it may be in the loophole category... 😬

Edited by Superscally

After over 6 weeks with no running due to achillies problems I managed 1.5km on the treadmill yesterday, wasn't even sure I was going to get that but felt ok and didn't want to overdo it.

Had a really good couple of weeks otherwise with the start of a new program and plenty of rowing to substitute for the lack of running, the lack of sleep since the new arrival isn't haven't an affect at the moment.

1 hour ago, Big durbs said:

Mrs D joined “ US “ to the gym during lockdown! Came as a surprise to me lol , a very nice gym too as they were doing a mega offer for NHS workers ( Mrs D is a surgical nurse) . As my name implies, I’m not a 6pack rippling 20 year old , 

But , and here’s the shocker ..... I love it , I have been going since the end of July and now I’m going 5 or 6 times a week!  I have become addicted to the gym , and that’s a sentence I NEVER thought I would say out loud.

Does this mean we could see a name change to just Durbs?!

12 hours ago, Sasperella said:

So, who has gone back to the gym?

I've been doing alright over lockdown. Had morning yoga, a 4x a week circuits class with my mates via zoom, the odd run, and if i was feeling really keen, a hiit/strength online class. I've definitely got stronger (if the number of press ups I can do is anything to go by), so in many ways I have no reason to go back to the gym. 

But... As I live in a flat, if its raining and I have to do my classes indoors it kind of minimises the amount of hardcore cardio I can do. It's rained a lot, but I've made it outside enough times to balance it out. Glasgow nights draw in quick though, and soon enough its gonna be too dark and too cold to be exercising in my garden before or after work. Plus my neighbours will think I'm bonkers.

I suppose I could try and get all the cardio I need from running and/or cycling,  but I'm not sure how much I'm going to enjoy that either come November/December. 

Not at the gym yet.  Mrs Q has gone back for a couple of classes and it's OK apparently.  Only thing I'm missing at the gym is being able to do (relatively) heavy squats and deadlifts, but can't decide if I care enough to go back once a week / couple of weeks.

Running in winter is surprisingly fine if you've got some cold / wet weather kit, and so long as you know you've got a nice hot shower to come back to. I actually really enjoy it now, but appreciate it might be a bit different for a woman running around a city in the dark :(

13 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Went on a bike ride today and ended up doing the Tour de COVID as we started up in Rochdale, then Bury, Bolton, Blackburn, hyndburn, rossendale and back to Rochdale. 

No doubt I’m riddled with by now

😂

9 hours ago, Big durbs said:

Fair play , my 5k is measured in days not mins 

😂

I just got back from a few days in the Brecon Beacons and if my run yesterday was anything to go by, my legs are pretty tired! 

It was so worth getting out in the fresh air in the mountains though, I feel like a new person. It's hard to imagine all the rubbish that's going on in the world when you are somewhere so beautiful :) 

Anyway, I'm on a 4 week countdown to my (hopefully) holiday to Greece so I'm going to need to get a bit more serious about fitness things and have a virtual half mara to fit in too!!  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I just got back from a few days in the Brecon Beacons and if my run yesterday was anything to go by, my legs are pretty tired! 

It was so worth getting out in the fresh air in the mountains though, I feel like a new person. It's hard to imagine all the rubbish that's going on in the world when you are somewhere so beautiful :) 

Anyway, I'm on a 4 week countdown to my (hopefully) holiday to Greece so I'm going to need to get a bit more serious about fitness things and have a virtual half mara to fit in too!!  

Ooh, where did you go?  Was down there for a day with my brother a couple of weeks ago, spent a great day around the black mountain. Love it down there :)

Bugger, was kind of expecting it but the November Paras race has been cancelled now. Had just got into a training rhythm for it as well :(

They're looking at a virtual one like they did with the Great North Run, so still got a plan to train as if it's going ahead.  Agreed with Mrs Quark and Rom that we're going to do something suitably unpleasant involving mileage and bergens on what would have been the event date, so it's not a complete write off.  Still a bit gutted mind.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Bugger, was kind of expecting it but the November Paras race has been cancelled now. Had just got into a training rhythm for it as well :(

They're looking at a virtual one like they did with the Great North Run, so still got a plan to train as if it's going ahead.  Agreed with Mrs Quark and Rom that we're going to do something suitably unpleasant involving mileage and bergens on what would have been the event date, so it's not a complete write off.  Still a bit gutted mind.

What was it, half marathon?

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

10 miles cross country with rucksack

Sounds a joy! I think I may be weird in that I def prefer treadmill. Isn't treadmill kinder on the joints too?

Not sure if Superscally has shared with the group, but I think he leaves today to go run up Snowden then to and up a second mountain for charity.

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Sounds a joy! I think I may be weird in that I def prefer treadmill. Isn't treadmill kinder on the joints too?

Not sure if Superscally has shared with the group, but I think he leaves today to go run up Snowden then to and up a second mountain for charity.

Yeah, I hate treadmills!  The weight adds an extra dimension to it, just makes it a bit...different.

I'll check his twitter for a donation link. Bloody lunatic. Every time someone tells me I'm nuts for the stuff I do, I just point them in his direction.

• Upvote 1