Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

49 minutes ago, Quark said:

Nope, sorry bud. Do it though, always good to have something to train for!

Signed up and running for rethinkmentalillness, now it's official I can't wait and the competitive side of me wants to complete it in under 1 hour and 50 minutes! Currently running 12k in just over an hour so lots of work to be done, still need to buy a Garmin watch too. 

3 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Signed up and running for rethinkmentalillness, now it's official I can't wait and the competitive side of me wants to complete it in under 1 hour and 50 minutes! Currently running 12k in just over an hour so lots of work to be done, still need to buy a Garmin watch too. 

Send me a link or post one on here ... I’ll be quite happy to chuck a few quid in :) 

I’m back at the running routine this week, with poor efforts over the last three weeks of I’m honest. Aiming to run 1000km by the end of the year, got a way to go still as I’m only on 463km. But I didn’t run at all in Jan/Feb/Mar as I was travelling Asia, so I’m confident I can still achieve it.

28 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Good stuff!  My suggestion if aiming for a time (although others who run more may disagree) is to train at that pace.  I trained for sub-2hrs for my first one last year, but on the day I got all Bertie Big Bollocks and went for sub 1:50.  Completely blew my legs out and crawled over the line in 1:55 :D

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Good stuff!  My suggestion if aiming for a time (although others who run more may disagree) is to train at that pace.  I trained for sub-2hrs for my first one last year, but on the day I got all Bertie Big Bollocks and went for sub 1:50.  Completely blew my legs out and crawled over the line in 1:55 :D

That's true I must not let my body get caught up in all the excitement as it could be a little embarrassing, going to put together a training plan and try to keep to it winter will be tough as I usually struggle with my motivation to anything but this will give me something to focus on.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

no problem :)  2 good causes after all  mental illness and fitness for Glastonbury ... lets hope you are alive that day :) 

Hahah I may need someone to check my pulse before and after...who's keen to do that? @Wellyboot perhaps?

Ive just been and checked out my gym ( nuffield )  @zeppelin   definately closer to signing back up .... I was doing 3 x 1hour swims before ... and they have extended the swim sessions to 4 5 mins now  with the potential to be able to stay on a few mins ... if not busy ... no pool classes or kids swimming .... maximum 2 per lane and 4 lanes but since they have reopened there have been a maximum of 5 in the pool ... so most times I would have a lane to myself ... which is much better than before ... and potentially the whirlpool coming back soon 

Edited by crazyfool1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

That's true I must not let my body get caught up in all the excitement as it could be a little embarrassing, going to put together a training plan and try to keep to it winter will be tough as I usually struggle with my motivation to anything but this will give me something to focus on.

Hahah I may need someone to check my pulse before and after...who's keen to do that? @Wellyboot perhaps?

:lol::lol::lol: I'm happy to! Anything to make sure you're still with us! :) 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Yeah, the excitement was part of the problem!  I ended up with the 1:50 pacer purely by chance at the start, and thought "well this seems manageable" so stuck with him.  Think it was about 3 miles to go when everything started to fall apart!

How long have you got to prep for the Bath?

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah, the excitement was part of the problem!  I ended up with the 1:50 pacer purely by chance at the start, and thought "well this seems manageable" so stuck with him.  Think it was about 3 miles to go when everything started to fall apart!

@Kalopsia I agree with the above, try not to get hyped up by the excitement on the day (it's hard not too).

I get very competitive with people running past me, including pacers with times I couldn't keep up with, so try not to race faster strangers too! 🤣 

You could have a little look online to see if you can find a training plan for the time you want,this should give you an idea of how fast you want to be running other distances.

4 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Good luck to those out running this weekend, either go very early or very late!

On the bike tomorrow, got a mate driving down to join us so he'd better get his arse here early! :lol:

Took the bike out to get to training last night, needs a bit of minor readjustment to the gearing but the ride felt sooooo much smoother for a service. Lovely feeling.

It's just going to be a workout in the garage for me, achillies is a bit sore so no running.  No drinking this weekend as I'm on hospital standby for Mrs P so it'll be a healthy weekend for me!

Edited by Padgey

On 8/6/2020 at 1:34 PM, Quark said:

How long have you got to prep for the Bath?

This would probably be my mindset too, need to make sure I'm keeping myself in check.

On 8/6/2020 at 1:39 PM, gmb1992 said:

@Kalopsia I agree with the above, try not to get hyped up by the excitement on the day (it's hard not too).

I get very competitive with people running past me, including pacers with times I couldn't keep up with, so try not to race faster strangers too! 🤣 

You could have a little look online to see if you can find a training plan for the time you want,this should give you an idea of how fast you want to be running other distances.

This too! I've just got to focus on getting through it haha.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Football is scheduled for 1.30pm tomorrow - brilliant.

I remember those baking pre-season afternoons well.

Played a charity match last summer and it was in the late 20s/30 at about 5 o'clock when we kicked off, fortunately the pace of the game was a lot slower due to age!

Edited by Padgey

Just now, Kalopsia said:

Ha-ha that's currently the position I take up...The goal posts currently have a better first touch than me😂

Probably still better than me mate. It's fair to say that the skills I've developed for rugby don't really transfer that well to a football pitch :lol: