Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

Anybody managed to sign up to any 10ks or half marathons this year? 

I know most have been cancelled, but wondering if there’s any later in the year still? 

My walking marathon has been re-scheduled to next year. Think they were hoping to have it in September but I am kind of glad as it's at night and September nights can be pretty cold. Also, I've just not been able to get out walking as much as I would have wanted to. 

On 7/19/2020 at 2:30 PM, nikkic said:

Anybody managed to sign up to any 10ks or half marathons this year? 

I know most have been cancelled, but wondering if there’s any later in the year still? 

Winchester Half Marathon towards the end of September is still planning on going ahead (fingers crossed) 

My RnR Liverpool marathon was postponed from May to Oct but has now been cancelled. 2021 race will take place next May so it looks like that will be my next race. I'm going to try to keep on running between now and the end of the year to work on general fitness and running ability without having to be too concerned about times and distances.

Nothing from mine, but not in any great rush to get back there tbh.  Would like some of the heavier weight setup for squats and deadlifts, but apart from that I've got enough kit cobbled together in the garage to keep me going.

26 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Think I am finally getting my eating back to normal (still on the slightly bad side but much improved) Can't wait for gyms to open again. Not heard anything from my gym yet about re-opening rules yet. Has anyone else yet?

Nuffield has emailed some stuff out ... but as I’ve put mine on hold till sept I didn’t read it in great detail 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I suspect the classes I do will either not be on or impossible to get on!! 

Exactly my predicament with the pool ... I don’t even know if the pool slots need to be booked at present but if they do then I can see how booked up they are getting and go from there if I feel I can get value and safety 

Lunchtime circuit done, quite warm out there.

I'll happier when I can get a sports massage rather than the gyms opening.  With the restriction on exercises we can do in lockdown my legs have taken a bit of a hammering from all the running, squats and burpees I've been doing so I'm desperate to get them seen too.

2 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I miss the gym as that’s where I did a lot of my speed intervals on the treadmill, I also think having half my weekly runs on the treadmill helped protect knees. Don’t think I’m in any hurry to get back there though.

Yes! Someone else who gets it! Treadmills are so the best way to do that! 

11 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Speed intervals? If you want to be running at a set pace for your intervals I'd agreed with you, but for general sprint training I'd always prefer outside.

12 minutes ago, Superscally said:

It's my chosen way of doing different pace stuff too, when I'm out on the roads I just plod along at the same pace.

2 hours ago, Padgey said:

It's my chosen way of doing different pace stuff too, when I'm out on the roads I just plod along at the same pace.

I like the roads and outside to enjoy the ride...not do km repeats! 😂

1 hour ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Yeah the treadmill allows me to force myself to run at a higher than comfortable pace for a set distance/time, can’t quite get the discipline/motivation to do this out on the toad

...then you have road crossings, human traffic...

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

...then you have road crossings, human traffic...

And if you run near me, my dogs to deal with as well. I do try my best to get them under control but Queen Nuala does believe that the world revolves around her!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Our main pitch at the rugby club has a bank running along one side of it, quite steep and probably about 15m from top to bottom. Not completely overgrown, but enough nettles and brambles to make it interesting. 

One of our coach's pre season drills was doing sets of hill sprints up and down that, length of the pitch and through the nettles. Oh fun times...

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Our main pitch at the rugby club has a bank running along one side of it, quite steep and probably about 15m from top to bottom. Not completely overgrown, but enough nettles and brambles to make it interesting. 

One of our coach's pre season drills was doing sets of hill sprints up and down that, length of the pitch and through the nettles. Oh fun times...

Ouch. 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

im contemplating couch to 5k ? anyone used this ? so far ive completed the couch phase :) 

I did it years ago and then did bridge 2 10km. It worked really well for me. I repeated a couple of runs until I felt a bit more comfortable but I was probably even less fit than I am now when I did it. 

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I did it years ago and then did bridge 2 10km. It worked really well for me. I repeated a couple of runs until I felt a bit more comfortable but I was probably even less fit than I am now when I did it. 

I really need to get off my ass and shift this weight gain ... thanks 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I really need to get off my ass and shift this weight gain ... thanks 

It does work really well. I was very skeptical when I started especially when you first go out and are only running for what feels like never ending minutes!! As a music lover I did find having an app that let you listen to music important and playing the right music was key for me. Some songs really did lift my mood and make my pace better. 

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

im contemplating couch to 5k ? anyone used this ? so far ive completed the couch phase :) 

Go for it! I did it a couple of years ago and it does work. Stick with the intervals it says even if it seems too easy at the start since it will ramp up. The C25K reddit is great for some motivation.

14 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I can't recommend couch to 5k enough!! After trying and failing to get "into" running for ages this was the thing that finally made it click for me and let me build up stamina without the dreaded injuries (I always used to get shin splints before).

3 years later I've done multiple 10ks & half marathons and even a marathon and actually run for fun now! 

I would say start it 100%, keep to the intervals they say even if it feels a bit easy to begin with and you'll be running 5km in no time! :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

I can't recommend couch to 5k enough!! After trying and failing to get "into" running for ages this was the thing that finally made it click for me and let me build up stamina without the dreaded injuries (I always used to get shin splints before).

3 years later I've done multiple 10ks & half marathons and even a marathon and actually run for fun now! 

I would say start it 100%, keep to the intervals they say even if it feels a bit easy to begin with and you'll be running 5km in no time! :)

thankyou .... just got to work a routine out .....and best timings to be doing it ... cant see me enjoying it ... but needs must :) 

• Upvote 1