Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

My fitness got better - probably more time to do the longer runs at the weekend that would normally be binned due to other commitments. I think mixing up the distances and forcing yourself to do longer slower runs really improves form over time. I'd like to mix in some weight sessions or other core work at home but not sure where to start - ie online classes and apps. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I had a big dip, even though I've been working.  Biggest change for me in the last fortnight was properly figuring out how to use the kit I've got to get proper workouts.

I've got a lot of good workouts Coachmag, but like you say with limited kit it's difficult to keep varying it, there's only so many press ups, squats and burpees you can do!

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I'm still having a dip!! My birthday on Sunday and I have a few days off so intending to eat badly and then try and get back to being better from next Wednesday! 

The diet has been a big difference for me, especially the drinking.  I've found myself drinking a lot more since lockdown, had a weekend off it and that certainly made a difference.  I also thought to myself I drank nowhere near what I would have at the festival the other weekend so I guess that was a little victory!

4 minutes ago, Padgey said:

The diet has been a big difference for me, especially the drinking.  I've found myself drinking a lot more since lockdown, had a weekend off it and that certainly made a difference.  I also thought to myself I drank nowhere near what I would have at the festival the other weekend so I guess that was a little victory!

Mines been double whammy of not exercising any where near as much and eating way more as food has been my only treat and release from relentless work!!

13 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Mines been double whammy of not exercising any where near as much and eating way more as food has been my only treat and release from relentless work!!

At least we have another 350ish days or so to put it right!  Train to live rather than live to train.

I'm doing alright fitness wise, I got pushed a bit back with my appendix op but getting back to where I was now.

I've also started going to an outdoor bootcamp  whilst I can't get in the boxing gym which is great. The high intensity mixed with having someone there to keep me accountable (shout at me if I'm slacking) is just what I need for an extra push! 

On 7/3/2020 at 8:06 AM, gmb1992 said:

Anyway, I'm thinking of investing in a sports watch and have my eye on a Garmin forerunner as I'd like to keep an eye on my pace during runs. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm thinking up to £300 as a max. 

I have a Garmin Forerunner 235. It's perfect for me, I use it every time I run and it saw me through my first marathon. The watch is probably one of the cheaper ones on the market and I've never had a single problem.

Edited by jyoung

I'm thinking I might get the 245 with the added music, hopefully that feature is worth the extra expense!

It's pretty pricey but I've been regularly running 3/4 times a week for well over a year now and think it should help my step up my game a bit... It's cheaper than a coach! 

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

First session of pre-season tonight.  With the 3rd team these days so not going to be quite as taxing as the main squad sessions, but still not sure how much I'm looking forward to sprinting! :D

I don't miss pre-season at all, football was my game, I think you're rugby?  I've been doing some sprint work the last couple of weeks and went back to my old football training days with the square where you sprint 1 jog 3, sprint 2 jog 2, sprint 3 jog one then sprint all 4.  Didn't manage to do the reverse this time though!  Also did what we use to call The Suicide where you do shuttles to every line on the full length of the footy pitch.

Just now, Padgey said:

I don't miss pre-season at all, football was my game, I think you're rugby?  I've been doing some sprint work the last couple of weeks and went back to my old football training days with the square where you sprint 1 jog 3, sprint 2 jog 2, sprint 3 jog one then sprint all 4.  Didn't manage to do the reverse this time though!  Also did what we use to call The Suicide where you do shuttles to every line on the full length of the footy pitch.

Yep, all sounds very familiar!  One of our standards used to be up touchline, across try / goal line then diagonal back to the start point. Think it used to be a 2 minute allowance, the faster you got back the more rest time before the next one.  Other one was from the try line, sprint to the 22 and jog back x 5, 10m line x4, halfway line x3, far 22m line x2 and then final one full length of the pitch.

It's actually the stuff that I'm good at, but it's also the absolute worst to try and do on your own!

17 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yep, all sounds very familiar!  One of our standards used to be up touchline, across try / goal line then diagonal back to the start point. Think it used to be a 2 minute allowance, the faster you got back the more rest time before the next one.  Other one was from the try line, sprint to the 22 and jog back x 5, 10m line x4, halfway line x3, far 22m line x2 and then final one full length of the pitch.

It's actually the stuff that I'm good at, but it's also the absolute worst to try and do on your own!

We started football training about a month ago. Obviously we can't play an actual game, so we just do drills. Normally I'd find it quite boring - but in the current climate it's actually quite good fun (we get about the treble the numbers attending as opposed to last season!).

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Got a rugby pitch on camp so I'm going to make a note of that one, cheers.

True it's tougher doing it individually rather than as a group, or even a couple of you.  That has been the case all through lockdown especially with the loss of circuit classes where I feel I push myself more. 

9 minutes ago, Homer said:

We started football training about a month ago. Obviously we can't play an actual game, so we just do drills. Normally I'd find it quite boring - but in the current climate it's actually quite good fun (we get about the treble the numbers attending as opposed to last season!).

Ours is pretty predictable, good numbers in the summer, great numbers when the games start in September, gradually tailing off as the weather turns shittier into winter :lol:

5 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Got a rugby pitch on camp so I'm going to make a note of that one, cheers.

True it's tougher doing it individually rather than as a group, or even a couple of you.  That has been the case all through lockdown especially with the loss of circuit classes where I feel I push myself more. 

Yeah, there's something about that stop/start pushing yourself that is harder on your won. Weights no problem, cycling no problem, running no problem. Shuttles? Sod off :D

5 minutes ago, Northern Jack said:

Envious of you motivated bunch.

I am now 30lbs heavier than I was at last year's festival!

Regardless of whether the resale is a success or not; I'll be visiting this thread regularly for some much needed motivation. 

The motivation comes and goes, believe me! :lol:

But it's a good thread.  Other people's tales of success or hard work can pick you out of a rut and give you a prod in the right direction, definitely worked for me when I've been a lazy git :)

37 minutes ago, Northern Jack said:

Envious of you motivated bunch.

I am now 30lbs heavier than I was at last year's festival!

Regardless of whether the resale is a success or not; I'll be visiting this thread regularly for some much needed motivation. 

Always good to visit in January when the majority of us are hanging out of our hoop, but get that first couple of weeks out of the way and it starts being enjoyable again.

Good luck shifting those pounds, don't go sickening yourself off too early.

Had a week off running, not by choice really just got to busy with work to find the time. First run back last night and it hurt. Crazy how quickly I’ve dropped off and lost fitness, or maybe it was just a placebo effect and my head was stopping me from performing better. Will be out for another hill run tonight to punish those legs!