Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

Running 5km twice a week now after completing couch to 5km. Times range from 24minutes to 28minutes but as long as under 30mins I’m happy.

also trying to walk more, done 10km walk after the run today so far 28,000 steps.

only down side is all the good work being undone by booze and cheese 

Cycled 75 miles yesterday with daughter #1 and her BF. 

Included Burnam on Sea and Weston Super Mare. Kept well away from the massive crowds and huge groups of not socially distancing people. Lost count of the number of times we called 'can you smell weed' to each other :)

My bottom now feels like I badly sanded it with 80 grit sandpaper on a 4 1/2 inch grinder. Slept quite well last night. 

For anyone that lives near me, the Taunton to Bridgwater canal path is an official cycle route and is absolutely beautiful.

Quite chuffed with yesterday as 2 years ago I had a rather stupid leg situation.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Included Burnam on Sea and Weston Super Mare. Kept well away from the massive crowds and huge groups of not socially distancing people. List count of the number of times we called 'can you smell weed' to each other :)

My bottom now feels like I badly sanded it with 80 grit sandpaper on a 4 1/2 inch grinder. Slept quite well last night. 

For anyone that lives near me, the Taunton to Bridgwater canal path is an official cycle route and is absolutely beautiful.

Quite chuffed with yesterday as 2 years ago I had a rather stupid leg situation.

very impressive ... although that canal towpath worries me when it comes to social distancing .... I dont think the ducks and pike in there would enjoy my company :)  so I stick to my daily walk towards stoke st mary and then about turn with a run for last couple of k :) 

30 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Included Burnam on Sea and Weston Super Mare. Kept well away from the massive crowds and huge groups of not socially distancing people. Lost count of the number of times we called 'can you smell weed' to each other :)

Ahh I wud have put you out a cold beer en route if I had known!!! I walked up Brent Knoll today first time this year! Every time I forget how steep it is!! 
Burnham hasn’t been to bad if you stick to the middle part of the beach as you go towards Brean! Plenty of space to walk or cycle for a hr or two without seeing many! 

E7BD7AEF-9D11-4BC2-8D4C-EB534D849C38.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Some mighty impressive work on this thread as always!

It's definitely clicked for me over the last couple of weeks.  Been running more again, pace is hovering around 5 min/km but need to get that back down closer to 4:30, at least on the flats. 

Got out on Friday after work and did 65km on my own on the bike, which was amazing. Normally ride with Mrs Q which is lovely, but spent so long riding on my own before she got into it the chance to go back out and just be solitary on the bike again was a blast. Stuck to a cadence range rather than a speed target and got a few climbs under the belt.

Weight has remained nice and static during lockdown which kind of surprises me, but I've not gone nuts with food while I've been at home.  The hardest part is loss of muscle mass.  Upper body weights aren't a problem as I'm coming back from my gammy shoulders so can't lift much anyway, but missing the heavy lifts on squat & deadlift. Just not much to do about that really.

On the plus side with the resistance training the last of the twinges in my right shoulder have now gone (thank you resistance band rehab!), and I'm finally making some headway into improving my chin up capacity (which has always been bloody awful). Hopefully the shoulders mean I can start upping the weights a bit, and depending on when the world stops being insane I reckon it means I've got another season of rugby left in 'em :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Other people’s efforts are pretty remarkable!! 👍🏻👏🏻 I am quite disappointed with my own as due to my CFS/ME the exercise never gives me the feel good feeling but I know it is doing me good! Or so my doctor tells me!! I know without doing it it’s so much worse! 
The motivation is the view at the top or the satisfaction I’ve pushed myself a bit further! 
love seeing the photos of people’s walks and runs in the different threads on here!! 
well done peeps! 👍🏻😀

• Upvote 1

Worried that fixing my bike may lead to me jogging less, though I did keep it up last week. Also offset by the fact that I've found a form of cardio that is fun to do over the weekends around the local parks after/with a couple of cans.

What I really like about this thread is that I don't know anyone here or what you look like, I just see achievements, personal goals and improvements. 

Normally when you see the achievements I see the ripped perfect body and it instantly demotivates me to the point where I don't even start. But here it's a blank canvas and we are all smashing our goals and I think it's fantastic. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

What I really like about this thread is that I don't know anyone here or what you look like, I just see achievements, personal goals and improvements. 

Normally when you see the achievements I see the ripped perfect body and it instantly demotivates me to the point where I don't even start. But here it's a blank canvas and we are all smashing our goals and I think it's fantastic. 

53 pages and we are still yet to see our first mirror selfie (as far as I',m aware) - which is to be commended

35 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

When I started this I never wanted it to be that. Fitness like health, is relative. For one person fitness is being able to do multiple marathons; for another person it is to be able to walk 5km without feeling out of breath. Everyone's achievements are their own and we should be equally proud and supportive of someone very unfit trying to get a little more fit as we are of someone who is already extremely fit trying to achieve some super challenge and I think everyone on this thread is, which is lovely. I am on the less fit side of the spectrum as it happens but live with someone who is more on the super fit side so I feel I have an understanding of both sides!!

I'm out of upvotes - but please accept them all round. I'll reward you instead by not posting the pic of Peter Stringfellow in a thong that I was going to post in reply to the shot of Connery in (I believe) Zardos.

Edited by Homer

38 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

image.jpeg.294db1d363b3b39eab8a329e8704cd95.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

I'm lucky enough to have met Dee, and I can confirm that this pic is accurate.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Glad to see everyone is keeping up the good work and staying motivated! :) 

I struggle with running in the heat so just have to deal with the fact I'm going to be a lot slower and that it's still good to get it done.

The heat is just too much. I was mixing up 5k runs with 8ks and 10ks but I didn't manage to get past 5k last week - just too hot. Though since I got my bike back, I've been exercising at least once every day.

About to do some weights out of sheer boredom. The good thing is I can do quite a lot of different weights while sitting on my balcony in the sun. Not sure my wife's weights are really heavy enough - but got to be better than nothing. May have to give the resistance bands I bought a go.

55 minutes ago, Homer said:

The heat is just too much. I was mixing up 5k runs with 8ks and 10ks but I didn't manage to get past 5k last week - just too hot. Though since I got my bike back, I've been exercising at least once every day.

About to do some weights out of sheer boredom. The good thing is I can do quite a lot of different weights while sitting on my balcony in the sun. Not sure my wife's weights are really heavy enough - but got to be better than nothing. May have to give the resistance bands I bought a go.

I'm contemplating getting a bike but I think once the lockdown is over I probably won't use it so not sure it's worth the investment... I should have looked a couple of months ago! 

14 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I'm contemplating getting a bike but I think once the lockdown is over I probably won't use it so not sure it's worth the investment... I should have looked a couple of months ago! 

They are hard to get hold of apparently. Before I went to Halfords, my local indie bike shop told me there was a week's waiting list for repairs and they were sold out of second hand bikes. I've heard that the only option is to buy a brand new one from the likes of Halfords.

Back in the game, done some sprint work this week and feel a whole lot better for it.  Being back at work has helped as I have someone to train with now.  3 weeks out from the festival i would've been in good condition, although we were supposed to fly out to Tenerife on 13th June so a lot of hard work might have been for nothing!

40 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Back in the game, done some sprint work this week and feel a whole lot better for it.  Being back at work has helped as I have someone to train with now.  3 weeks out from the festival i would've been in good condition, although we were supposed to fly out to Tenerife on 13th June so a lot of hard work might have been for nothing!

I would have been in pretty good condition for Glasto too! Hopefully we'll be in even better shape next June 👍

I've been eating badly and not exercising as much but this week have been attempting to do better on both and have been at least walking a bit more and not eating as much rubbish!! Baby steps but hopefully enough to start making some inroads into the stone and a half I had put on since lockdown or at the very least to stop there being any more damage. 

38 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I would have been in pretty good condition for Glasto too! Hopefully we'll be in even better shape next June 👍

Fingers crossed, although I'm sure there will be a lot of peaks and troughs between now and next year, no doubt I'll be starting all over again after Christmas!

Well I've done it... been reading this thread and took some inspiration - it may have been the Burt Reynolds photo, who knows? - I went back to running this week.

I'm probably the heaviest I've been, and I probably started with too much. I did 2.97 miles, but I killed my feet as I didn't put decent shoes on. I did another mini run too, but need to sort my shoe situation. I went out and got a road bike too yesterday, so going to get a few miles a day under my belt now! i can't believe how unfit I am, but that's what happens when you have two kids and don't exercise!

Thank you!

Edited by vintagelaureate
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2