Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

I've just entered Brighton Marathon for 2021- Let's hope next year's spring marathon plan goes better than 2020 (although I did manage to do one, just not particularly fast!)

Also given lock down may be slightly lifted as of next week I think people will be able to go out more than once for exercise which is good news for the dog walkers & parents :) 

23 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I've just entered Brighton Marathon for 2021- Let's hope next year's spring marathon plan goes better than 2020 (although I did manage to do one, just not particularly fast!)

Also given lock down may be slightly lifted as of next week I think people will be able to go out more than once for exercise which is good news for the dog walkers & parents :) 

It'll be good if we can.  I've prioritised using our outdoor allowance to do stuff with Mrs Q, which is absolutely fine but it does mean I've not really been running.  If we can go out a bit more then I can do it all!

Somehow, and I genuinely have no idea, I've managed to drop a couple of kilos over the past month. No doubt that muscle mass is down a bit, but really thought it would have gone the other way given the volume of cinnamon & raisin bagels with butter I've been stuffing! :lol:

2 hours ago, Quark said:

It'll be good if we can.  I've prioritised using our outdoor allowance to do stuff with Mrs Q, which is absolutely fine but it does mean I've not really been running.  If we can go out a bit more then I can do it all!

Somehow, and I genuinely have no idea, I've managed to drop a couple of kilos over the past month. No doubt that muscle mass is down a bit, but really thought it would have gone the other way given the volume of cinnamon & raisin bagels with butter I've been stuffing! :lol:

I've been really into cinnamon & raisin bagels too!!- I like mine with peanut butter and banana... sooo good!

1 minute ago, gmb1992 said:

I've been really into cinnamon & raisin bagels too!!- I like mine with peanut butter and banana... sooo good!

Heresy.  I know everyone has their own preference, but butter is the only acceptable topping for a C&R.

C&R and toast & marmalade are the only things I have butter for!

Right, Tuesday is start exercising again day! Need some motivation. Going to do some weights then jog 5k later. How is everyone else getting on? My enthusiasm for the jogging side of exercise seems to be evaporating since I hit my 10k target! Will see how I get on later I guess.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Homer said:

Right, Tuesday is start exercising again day! Need some motivation. Going to do some weights then jog 5k later. How is everyone else getting on? My enthusiasm for the jogging side of exercise seems to be evaporating since I hit my 10k target! Will see how I get on later I guess.

I've been lagging the last couple of weeks and it's started to catch up with my overall mood. The constant road crossing to avoid people whilst out running really puts me off!

I might join you (in spirit) for the 5km & weights to ease myself back in.

Fitness can be a strange mistress. Really struggled around 8k last Fri (despite running 10k the Fri before) then beat my 5k lockdown record time yesterday then my 8k record lockdown time (by 90 seconds) this morning.

On the flip, my left knee has started 'clicking' recently - with a short stabbing pain - about twice a day, but is okay when I'm running. I did my medial ligament about 12 years ago, but it's been fine since then!

Ive finally worked out that my shin splints seem to come from a lack of warming up ... after a weeks rest I still got them ... but by default a lot of pacing around whilst on my phone prior to one of my walks and I didnt get them at all ... tried this out for two more days and it seems to fingers crossed have done the trick ... might now ease into a slow trot at the end of my walk now and see how that goes ...

Some new shoes have alleviated the issue I was having with my ankle. My mileage and fitness have been increasing over the last three weeks and I’ve been really enjoying it. Then bang. I’ve quickly, and seemingly out of nowhere developed a throbbing pain in my left foot on the pad behind the toes. Guessing it’s my planter fasciitis, it’s really pissed me off tbh, I just want to run!

I've managed to get my mojo back a bit and beat my 5k PB this week so the rest must have done me some good, I'm a longer runner really and hate pushing myself to go faster but it's nice to have some goals to beat so I might add some more speed work into my routine.

It's a shame as 2020 would have been 3 years since my last Glasto and I would have been in my best Glasto shape ever. My first and heaviest Glastonbury 2013 I had to sit down all of the time because I was exhausted. I've generally got fitter over the next few but I was really looking forward to seeing how my extra strength and fitness would help me along with this year.

• Upvote 1

So...sad to announce that my proposed run to Glasto from Liverpool in aid of Oxfam is very unlikely to happen. I've had reservations over whether it was appropriate for a while and with the request today not to visit during lockdown and the fact that a lot of people will probably descend on the site as it is... 

I don't think it's a cool idea as I'd need a lot of publicity to make it a charity success. Probably wouldn't ingratiate myself to the Eavii and last thing I'd want is to be "that guy" that seemed to think the rules didn't apply to him because he was doing "a thing".

Unless things change, the Long and Winding Road begins June 19, 2021.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Well after a few weeks rest my knee seems to have calmed down and I had my first run last Wednesday, trying to keep it to three times a week but have already run 4 times since then with one of them being a 24 minute 5k (supposed to be taking it easy) I've decided that I quite enjoy running and would love to challenge myself and complete a half marathon. New shoes have just arrived so will be interested to see how they feel. 

12 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Well after a few weeks rest my knee seems to have calmed down and I had my first run last Wednesday, trying to keep it to three times a week but have already run 4 times since then with one of them being a 24 minute 5k (supposed to be taking it easy) I've decided that I quite enjoy running and would love to challenge myself and complete a half marathon. New shoes have just arrived so will be interested to see how they feel. 

That's good to hear bud, glad you're up and running again.

Something's clicked this week and feels like I'm back in the swing of it, so hopefully be able to maintain consistency.  Went for a run this morning, only a 5km to fit in before work but hard work, my system's never been comfortable running that early in the morning! 

Would have preferred an evening run but giving blood later, so figured probably best not to rock up with my heartrate going :D

• Upvote 2

Just did a core exercise class and went for a run. Only did 5k and my knee held up fine. The real issue was the fact that it was 22 degrees when I finished (10am)!

Going to take my bike out tomorrow to give me knee a rest and due to the heat, then try and get out early enough on Friday to run 8k without getting heat exhaustion.

12 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

If you can run a 24-min 5k then you'll have no probs getting up to a half marathon .

Sad about the rescheduling of your run @Superscally but a sensible decision, I think there will be some who don't listen to the advice. It will be far sweeter ending it with the festival too. 

Glad to hear everyone else seems to have their mojo back. I managed 2 PBs last week including a 26 minute 5km so something seems to have clicked for me too :)  I'm not great at running in the heat so decided to do an 8km trail run yesterday to explore my local trails and it was one of the best runs I've had in ages! 

1 hour ago, gmb1992 said:

Sad about the rescheduling of your run @Superscally but a sensible decision, I think there will be some who don't listen to the advice. It will be far sweeter ending it with the festival too. 

Glad to hear everyone else seems to have their mojo back. I managed 2 PBs last week including a 26 minute 5km so something seems to have clicked for me too :)  I'm not great at running in the heat so decided to do an 8km trail run yesterday to explore my local trails and it was one of the best runs I've had in ages! 

That's awesome! You're so close to a tantalising time goal now too. 25 by the end of the summer. The key to doing it is 800m or kilo reps. Warm up for a mile then 3-5 reps at that distance, just a bit quicker than 5min pace. Warm down for a mile. Do that once or twice a week and you're golden.

Yeah, I just didn't want any negativity surrounding it. You know what people can be like...