Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

Now we've got to bloody cycle home!

Edit. Now back home, knackered and having a G&T before a shower.

Never had a day of such exercise in my life before. Pushed bike up Burrow Mump and The Tor and did a total of 67 miles. Fair to say that my broken leg of 2018 is improving. Not wanting to sound like I'm preaching but getting fitter can be done if taken a bit at a time even if you're an old duffer like me. This time two years ago I was literally a physical wreck. Daughter #1 whipping me along has helped enormously.

Incidentally we got to Red Gate and the barrier was down and there was a sign saying No Entry with a phone no for Worthy Farm deliveries. I phoned the number and explained that we'd cycled from Taunton to visit The Pyramid and the lovely chap said crack on, just keep away from anyone else. 

IMG_20200425_160802_1.jpg

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

I've now got images of you cursing as you run down the railway track!

In all seriousness though I know what you mean about pace...

It took me an hour and 20 odd min to run 10km on Wednesday!

But keep at it and in a month you will be doing that 10km in less time. After all what else is there we could be doing 😀

seriously, I find that running at a lower HR means I can run every day rather than having to take a day off because I’m knackered. Also I’ve had no running related injuries since starting this. 
once you’ve been training using your HR you are able to tell when you might be run down/ not quite running on all cylinders because your HR will be higher than you expect for that pace. It’s really interesting once you are in tune with it all.

First full week of keeping on track last week, didn't miss a session.  3 weights sessions in the garage, 2 bike rides and a walk up in the downs, plus one rest day.  Going to mix and match to get a decent run in this week, but happy with that. Thinking I might load up the bergen and start chucking in some tabbing sessions as well for shits and giggles :D

Biggest challenge on the weights has been the sequencing so I don't have to spend to long changing weight plates around as that takes all the momentum out of a session. Now I've got that right I can work in supersets and keep the intensity right up. Onwards and upwards!

48 minutes ago, Quark said:

... might load up the bergen and start chucking in some tabbing sessions as well ...

Spoken like a true ex-soldier; I like your style, @Quark  I've been doing strength sessions followed by yoga in the mornings and rowing on the concept 2 in the afternoons.  Dog walks chucked in the mix each day as well. 

I have no idea how I'm going to keep it all going until June next year though...

10 minutes ago, Chazwozza said:

Spoken like a true ex-soldier; I like your style, @Quark  I've been doing strength sessions followed by yoga in the mornings and rowing on the concept 2 in the afternoons.  Dog walks chucked in the mix each day as well. 

I have no idea how I'm going to keep it all going until June next year though...

Definitely not ex-forces, I'd be absolutely rubbish when it comes to the fighting part! :lol:

Got introduced to it as a fitness thing by my cousin, just really like the different challenge it gives to other endurance stuff!

23 hours ago, Quark said:

Biggest challenge on the weights has been the sequencing so I don't have to spend to long changing weight plates around as that takes all the momentum out of a session. Now I've got that right I can work in supersets and keep the intensity right up. Onwards and upwards!

I've been doing EMOM sessions alternating 2 different body parts and don't have to change the weights, for example dumb-bell chest press and bent over row, 8 sets of each 8-10 reps. The move onto 2 different body parts, shoulder press and dumb-bell squats, with the same process.

I did my first ever marathon at the weekend - ending up with a modest time of 4 hours 47 mins.

I'm pretty happy with that although would have wanted a lower time in the actual event but I took it easy as didn't want to do myself any damage!! 

It's a bit bittersweet as it was quite a big event I'd been training for and focusing on before Glasto in June, now I have nothing to look forward to I'm feeling a bit blue! 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

I did my first ever marathon at the weekend - ending up with a modest time of 4 hours 47 mins.

I'm pretty happy with that although would have wanted a lower time in the actual event but I took it easy as didn't want to do myself any damage!! 

It's a bit bittersweet as it was quite a big event I'd been training for and focusing on before Glasto in June, now I have nothing to look forward to I'm feeling a bit blue! 

Great achievement, well done.  I'm sure the buzz and support of the actual event would knocked a good few minutes off your time.  Something for you to aim for now though.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

New running shoes arrived today, went for a little run and had no heel pain, looking forward to building up, going to get another pair in a couple of months and put them in rotation.

U sound like me :) I’m resting up my shins by doing some turbo ... and the rain helps :) 

19 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I've done quite a bit on my bike the last few days, on to the turbo tomorrow.

How's the turbo treating you.

I’ve been walking lots up untill the weekend whilst the weather was good ... hence the shin splints felt the need to get some sunshine ... while it’s rainy I will be turbo ing ... only 25 mins at the moment .. but I will build it up ... think I had it set too tight on my wheel to start with was really tough going .. 

All exercise has been halted. I was skipping and doing some tuck jumps in the garden yesterday afternoon just fine  however within half an hour of stopping my knee became quite sore to bend when weight bearing, this morning the joint is very stiff and doesn't feel particularly stable, I have new running shoes coming Tuesday so planning to not do any exercise until then with the hope of it being better. Currently quite worried I've done some real damage. Also just found out I can't fully straighten. 

Edited by Kalopsia

1 hour ago, Kalopsia said:

All exercise has been halted. I was skipping and doing some tuck jumps in the garden yesterday afternoon just fine  however within half an hour of stopping my knee became quite sore to bend when weight bearing, this morning the joint is very stiff and doesn't feel particularly stable, I have new running shoes coming Tuesday so planning to not do any exercise until then with the hope of it being better. Currently quite worried I've done some real damage. Also just found out I can't fully straighten. 

It sounds like you've done something to the tendon on the knee/ kneecap.

It would be best to rest it for a while then when you go back to activity make sure you're doing strength training around the cardio, hope you feel better soon. 

10 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

It sounds like you've done something to the tendon on the knee/ kneecap.

It would be best to rest it for a while then when you go back to activity make sure you're doing strength training around the cardio, hope you feel better soon. 

Ahh shit😞

How long is a while? Hoping to get back into it next week 

5 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Ahh shit😞

How long is a while? Hoping to get back into it next week 

If it's patella tendon it can be a good few weeks. Strained mine a bit last year and it was at least a month if not 6 weeks before I was running on it again. Depends on how bad it is tbh. Sorry :(

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

If it's patella tendon it can be a good few weeks. Strained mine a bit last year and it was at least a month if not 6 weeks before I was running on it again. Depends on how bad it is tbh. Sorry :(

Well it is what it is! Damn skipping rope...thanks for the advice guys! If it's still bad Monday I might see if the doctors will take a look so I know the full extent and what should do to help it. 

Thanks again! 

12 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Well it is what it is! Damn skipping rope...thanks for the advice guys! If it's still bad Monday I might see if the doctors will take a look so I know the full extent and what should do to help it. 

Thanks again! 

It's hard to judge it without knowing what you've done to it tbh.  Mine went when I was doing heavy(ish) deadlifts so there was a lot of weight tension going through the knee, felt a bit of a pop as it moved out of place. Wasn't a tear or anything severe, but definitely aggravated.

Best advice I can give is rest and gradually restarting your exercise.  I don't know how much you've dealt with injury in the past but the main thing I always got from our club physios was to spot the difference between it feeling uncomfortable (which means you can work through it as part of the recovery process) and it being painful (which means aggravating the injury).

20 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's hard to judge it without knowing what you've done to it tbh.  Mine went when I was doing heavy(ish) deadlifts so there was a lot of weight tension going through the knee, felt a bit of a pop as it moved out of place. Wasn't a tear or anything severe, but definitely aggravated.

Best advice I can give is rest and gradually restarting your exercise.  I don't know how much you've dealt with injury in the past but the main thing I always got from our club physios was to spot the difference between it feeling uncomfortable (which means you can work through it as part of the recovery process) and it being painful (which means aggravating the injury). 

Yes I struggle with this also, I never know the point to stop so always air on the side of caution and rest (I'm really hoping this is another case of this)

I'll just have to see how it goes over the next few days 

38 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Yes I struggle with this also, I never know the point to stop so always air on the side of caution and rest (I'm really hoping this is another case of this)

I'll just have to see how it goes over the next few days 

I’m in a period of rest to ... fortunately coinciding with a worsening of the weather buying new shoes seems to be an error we share ...