Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

Stunning Picture

Being in lock down makes me really appreciate how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful area’ 

After all this Im going to make more of effort to spend time out there with friends and family as you never know when it all might be taken away!

stay safe everyone and stay in💙

10 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

Stunning Picture

Being in lock down makes me really appreciate how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful area’ 

After all this Im going to make more of effort to spend time out there with friends and family as you never know when it all might be taken away!

stay safe everyone and stay in💙

I have realised how much I take for granted the lovely walks that are just a few minutes drive away. I've never missed Lyme Park so much. I'm probably the opposite of you in that I am hoping most of the people who are suddenly walking around stop again because I am not used to my walks being so busy and trying to keep my sociable dogs away from people is becoming more of a challenge. We now go out for the last hour of daylight every day as it tends to be a lot less busy. The bonus is I get to see some lovely sunsets. 

Well done @Sawdusty Surfer on your cycling activities. Wish I could be more active. Really missing it. 

pups.jpg

I've found lots of trails near me from trying to keep to tracks that would be less busy which I'll be sticking to going forwards. 

Well done everyone getting back on track, it doesn't take much to break the routine and exercise is normally one of the first things to go out of the window! 

After failing to hit 5k a couple times and getting disappointed I decided to stop running for 4 days and focus on some circuits to work different groups of muscles and at the same time improve my cardio. Well today I saw the benefits, a higher cadence and I hit 5k in a time I'm chuffed with. 

Screenshot_20200408_114730.thumb.jpg.e3c4d367c66a0a556503431e3d00482a.jpg

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Homer said:

Ran 5k then did a 30-min core hiit class this morning. Am mentally back into the swing and glad to have a bit of a routine going again.

Nice, which core hiit class did you do? 

I'm finding home hiit workouts a bit leg heavy and I want to give them a bit of a rest as they're like lead on my runs lately. 

Hey all, just wondering when and how do you know if soreness is an actual issue or something that will pass with rest? My right knee has been sore and tender when bending on it, it's been like this since Friday and I have only done light exercise on it since. Hoping to run tomorrow but don't want to be stupid and injure myself for longer. 

3 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Hey all, just wondering when and how do you know if soreness is an actual issue or something that will pass with rest? My right knee has been sore and tender when bending on it, it's been like this since Friday and I have only done light exercise on it since. Hoping to run tomorrow but don't want to be stupid and injure myself for longer. 

I read recently that is you have soreness after exercise leave it two to three days before exercising again. If the soreness returns leave it longer, if it remains after two weeks seek the opinion of a doctor.

I have a question, the only thing keeping me sane atm is my short daily runs. It’s fun to try different tempos and trying to improve my cadence etc. But my running shoes are worn flat and mmmm mmmm my knees are starting to feel it. Is it completely I acceptable to order some new shoes online and get them delivered? Is that me putting the delivery folk at unnecessary risk?

7 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I read recently that is you have soreness after exercise leave it two to three days before exercising again. If the soreness returns leave it longer, if it remains after two weeks seek the opinion of a doctor.

Perfect thank you, I'm taking it easy as like you say it's the one thing keeping me sane! Also good point on the shoes mine aren't the best and I could do with a better quality pair. 

On 4/9/2020 at 9:24 AM, gmb1992 said:

Nice, which core hiit class did you do? 

I'm finding home hiit workouts a bit leg heavy and I want to give them a bit of a rest as they're like lead on my runs lately. 

Hey, I have been running every weekday morning then doing a workout when I get back. Am alternating this with upper body weights now:

https://zonefitness.co.za/2018/03/29/easy-30-minute-core-exercises/

Take a step off from the running at weekends as that's when I'm allowed to drink!

Feeling great since I started this 'structure'.

Edited by Homer

Been a proper lazy bastard for the past 43 weeks. Didn't start off too bad, but I've completely failed to get in any kind of rhythm or structure.  Been out for some walks up in the downs and out on the bikes with Mrs Q, but they've been more what I'd call activity rather than exercise.

Set myself the target over the BH weekend to get my arse in gear once Monday was done, new week and all that.

Started off yesterday with a quick 2km warm up around the village, then a 45 minute lower body session with the weights I've got in the garage

Target for today is getting out on the bikes as Wednesday would normally have been spin day, and also getting in a 45 min upper body session in the garage.

Once I've got my head around what the session looks like, plan is to alternate the two sessions each day. As I'm not going to be burning out with heavy weights I can go with shorter rest periods, so alternate days will be fine. Not quite at the stage of setting the alarm half an hour earlier to do it before work as I'm still enjoying the extra sleep from not commuting, but that might be the next step!

The work getting done on here is definitely a motivator to pull my bloody finger out!

Edited by Quark

21 minutes ago, Quark said:

Been a proper lazy bastard for the past 43 weeks. Didn't start off too bad, but I've completely failed to get in any kind of rhythm or structure.  Been out for some walks up in the downs and out on the bikes with Mrs Q, but they've been more what I'd call activity rather than exercise.

Set myself the target over the BH weekend to get my arse in gear once Monday was done, new week and all that.

Started off yesterday with a quick 2km warm up around the village, then a 45 minute lower body session with the weights I've got in the garage

Target for today is getting out on the bikes as Wednesday would normally have been spin day, and also getting in a 45 min upper body session in the garage.

Once I've got my head around what the session looks like, plan is to alternate the two sessions each day. As I'm not going to be burning out with heavy weights I can go with shorter rest periods, so alternate days will be fine. Not quite at the stage of setting the alarm half an hour earlier to do it before work as I'm still enjoying the extra sleep from not commuting, but that might be the next step!

The work getting done on here is definitely a motivator to pull my bloody finger out!

Fairplay if you're still working, am finding the furlough is def helping with squeezing it all in! I was a bit sluggish for about a week then I put together a routine - hopefully will work for you too!

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Hey, I have been running every weekday morning then doing a workout when I get back. Am alternating this with upper body weights now:

https://zonefitness.co.za/2018/03/29/easy-30-minute-core-exercises/

Take a step off from the running at weekends as that's when I'm allowed to drink!

Feeling great since I started this 'structure'.

Thanks I'll check it out. 

Structure is key to sticking to plans for me. I'm fairly structured as ran at least 4 times a week before and am still doing that now I'm just missing my extra classes so hoping to find something to fill the void. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Not quite at the stage of setting the alarm half an hour earlier to do it before work as I'm still enjoying the extra sleep from not commuting, but that might be the next step!

I am loving no commute too and also haven't managed to use the extra time to get my workouts done before work! 

The extra sleep is just too good! 

Laid off the daily running then weights routine since Friday as booze over the weekend. Did some weights on Sunday though.

Need to get back in the saddle today as didn’t drink last night. Not feeling massively bothered re running though. Might just bang out 5k then do some weights. 

20 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

So good news my knee is fine! I just took a few days off and it seems to have sorted itself! I've ran 3 days in a row now and just hit my fastest 5k in a time of 25:27! Stoked, it's my birthday tomorrow so I might treat myself to a run tomorrow morning...😂

Good work and happy birthday!

Back into a rhythm now.  I've now got an upper and a lower body weights session I can do quite nicely in the garage in about 45 minutes, so I'm not faffing around working out what to do any more.  Got out for a nice 7.5km run on Sunday evening, and out on the bikes for about 30km with Mrs Q last night. 

The run wasn't that bad, but can definitely tell I've been slacking.  The good news is that now we have a bit more clarity on being able to drive for exercise I can pop 10 mins down the road to one of the car parks that's still open and get on my favourite running routes up in the south downs proper, looking forward to that :)

14 minutes ago, Homer said:

Laid off the daily running then weights routine since Friday as booze over the weekend. Did some weights on Sunday though.

Need to get back in the saddle today as didn’t drink last night. Not feeling massively bothered re running though. Might just bang out 5k then do some weights. 

The booze really fucks with my exercise regime over the weekend. I did nothing at all on Saturday and Sunday other than a wee walk around my part of Glasgow. 

However, in general, I am quite getting into this exercising at home business. Have been doing circuits with some friends on zoom every Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri since lockdown started, and then a week or so ago my friend and I decided to do a 25 mins yoga thing every morning at 7. This week I've started adding to that with a 40 min workout straight after yoga. Accompanied with some mega tunes and it somehow gives me soo much energy (hence the long rambling message...)

21 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

So good news my knee is fine! I just took a few days off and it seems to have sorted itself! I've ran 3 days in a row now and just hit my fastest 5k in a time of 25:27! Stoked, it's my birthday tomorrow so I might treat myself to a run tomorrow morning...😂

Happy birthday!! 

• Like 1

im sure ive seen shoe advice on here before ... but my soles have started wearing in some odd places ... I must walk / jog in a strange way .... ive had it drummed into me since childhood that i should try shoes on before I buy them but thats obviously difficult / impossible at the moment and realistically i end up buying the first pair I try anyway ... any recommendations mostly using them for tarmac walking / jogging 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

im sure ive seen shoe advice on here before ... but my soles have started wearing in some odd places ... I must walk / jog in a strange way .... ive had it drummed into me since childhood that i should try shoes on before I buy them but thats obviously difficult / impossible at the moment and realistically i end up buying the first pair I try anyway ... any recommendations mostly using them for tarmac walking / jogging 

There are lots of sites that give advice based on foot width and whether you under or over pronate which they can ascertain based on where you can see the wear on your shoes. I think you can also stand on paper with a wet foot and they can make guesses based on what your footprint looks like. 

I have a wide foot and Brooks Addiction Walking trainers are excellent for me.