Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

41 minutes ago, Quark said:

Aye, muscle and fitness would be fine but ligaments and tendons might take a while to acclimatise to the repeated strain

Maybe this is whats happened to me. I've got a pain which feels like it's in between the bone and my calf muscle, on the inside. Don't feel it normally but was hurting a lot while running on weds, and absolutely kills if I'm sitting on a chair and tuck my leg under me. I've no idea how people run every day! I'm definitely missing spin classes...

Edited by Sasperella

22 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Maybe this is whats happened to me. I've got a pain which feels like it's in between the bone and my calf muscle, on the inside. Don't feel it normally but was hurting a lot while running on weds, and absolutely kills if I'm sitting on a chair and tuck my leg under me. I've no idea how people run every day! I'm definitely missing spin classes...

Sounds like you have shin splints 😩 I get them with overuse. Rest a few days and try again with lower mileage. Build it up slowly and you should be ok. If it comes back rest longer and try again 😁 I'm sure someone else will have more experienced advice but it worked for me. 

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Weirdly my motivation seems to be waning since I got furloughed. I normally hammer the exercise but am struggling to be bothered at the moment!

I’ve had high blood sugar the last 3 days which Ironically stops me excercising unfortunately it’s dangerous ... bloody pain !! ... but today I’m gonna get my walk in before that potentially gets removed as an option 

I'm struggling to find any online classes that I like as much as my gym classes and my only exercise is being taken up with taking the dogs out which in order to find places that are good for them when only doing 1 walk a day aren't always good for us. I'm also eating shite out of boredom and stress I think. My fitness is definitely taking a hammering!! 

I've had a weird experience. Ever since I did the rat race (15 mile obstacle course) two years ago, I can run 5k off the bat whenever I've tried. I didn a 10k in Feb and I ran 5k about two weeks ago.

Tried to do it twice last week and both times I had to stop - about three or four times. Only occurred to me after the second time, I haven't had any real symptoms, but does this point to decreased lung function and fatigue? I've been napping a bit too.

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I'm struggling to find any online classes that I like as much as my gym classes and my only exercise is being taken up with taking the dogs out which in order to find places that are good for them when only doing 1 walk a day aren't always good for us. I'm also eating shite out of boredom and stress I think. My fitness is definitely taking a hammering!! 

One issue I have is that my four fave forms of exercise that I can pretty happily - football, spin, weights and cardio machines - are now off the table. Need to get my bike fixed and hopefully my resistance bands will turn up this year...

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

One issue I have is that my four fave forms of exercise that I can pretty happily - football, spin, weights and cardio machines - are now off the table. Need to get my bike fixed and hopefully my resistance bands will turn up this year...

Most of my efforts have been dancing around the house to at least get to my 11.5k step target :( Unfortunately I have been doing most of it whilst baking and then eating all the baked goods!!! :D 

I'm still ticking along fitness wise, I miss my classes but running was always my favourite activity anyway. 

I'm planning on doing the virtual local landmarks half marathon this weekend, I don't want to push my luck with time spent outside but I reckon this will be fine. 

I'm not sure about my virtual marathon in a few weeks - Is it irresponsible to spend that much time out running? 

15 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I'm still ticking along fitness wise, I miss my classes but running was always my favourite activity anyway. 

I'm planning on doing the virtual local landmarks half marathon this weekend, I don't want to push my luck with time spent outside but I reckon this will be fine. 

I'm not sure about my virtual marathon in a few weeks - Is it irresponsible to spend that much time out running? 

I suppose it depends on where you live and how busy etc it is. The government advice was 1 hour walk and 30 minutes running but I think common sense should be applied. If you are able to get up early and go at a time when it is not busy and where you live isn't that densely populated then you'd probably be ok if the idiots haven't spoiled it for all of us. 

I hate that my dogs exercise is classed as mine because dogs don't tend to go at a pace that gets your heart rate up at all. I am used to doing an average of 20k steps a day and I feel like a sloth at the moment. 

Edited by gigpusher

My running has taken a bit of a back seat as I'm using the hours exercise to go out for a walk with the Mrs P and the lad.  My workouts are now a mix of my garage gym and exercise in the front room, still ticking along ok but it's not quite the same as giving it everything in the circuits class.

Just now, gigpusher said:

I suppose it depends on where you live and how busy etc it is. The government advice was 1 hour walk and 30 minutes running but I think common sense should be applied. If you are able to get up early and go at a time when it is not busy and where you live isn't that densely populated then you'd probably be ok if the idiots haven't spoiled it for all of us. 

I hate that my dogs exercise is classed as mine because dogs don't tend to go at a pace that gets your heart rate up at all. I am used to doing an average of 20k steps a day and I feel like a sloth at the moment. 

It's a shame that the dog walk counts as a form of exercise. 

Don't suppose you could train the dogs for cani-cross? Those events make me want a dog!! 

1 minute ago, gmb1992 said:

It's a shame that the dog walk counts as a form of exercise. 

Don't suppose you could train the dogs for cani-cross? Those events make me want a dog!! 

Absolutely not. One of my dogs has had a cruciate ligament injury so that kind of exercise wouldn't be advisable and the other one panics if my heart rate goes up and tries to stop me. It's a problem for doing any exercise at home as I have to keep him out of the way but then he barks because he panics that I am dying!! I tried to do the Joe Wicks PE one day and Ferris and I ended up having words which ended with me saying See this is why I have to go to a gym!!  

Just now, gigpusher said:

Absolutely not. One of my dogs has had a cruciate ligament injury so that kind of exercise wouldn't be advisable and the other one panics if my heart rate goes up and tries to stop me. It's a problem for doing any exercise at home as I have to keep him out of the way but then he barks because he panics that I am dying!! I tried to do the Joe Wicks PE one day and Ferris and I ended up having words which ended with me saying See this is why I have to go to a gym!!  

Ah bless them! 

You better just keep to those easy walks then unfortunately, fingers crossed for relaxed guidelines soon! 

1 minute ago, gmb1992 said:

Ah bless them! 

You better just keep to those easy walks then unfortunately, fingers crossed for relaxed guidelines soon! 

Yes. Hopefully if we could just go back to unlimited walking outside I'd be happy!! 

Took to HIIT training in the back garden and purchased a punch bag to supplement the running and the dog walks.  Feeling great TBH.

Problem is our ten month old Rhodesian Ridgeback is at a funny age and try's to shag my leg when i am Planking 🙂

And the dog is a female 

And she is already a intelligent and stubborn and powerful puppy.

It is our second RR and think we had both forgot some of the details around the hard yards of the first 18 months from the first time round.

Not one for the novice

IMG_20200329_130123.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

And she is already a intelligent and stubborn and powerful puppy.

It is our second RR and think we had both forgot some of the details around the hard yards of the first 18 months from the first time round.

Not one for the novice

IMG_20200329_130123.jpg

Aw Adorable. Mine are 2 Wheaten Terriers and they are very definitely not for the amateur dog owner either!! 

I've never tried to get fit for Glastonbury. My work usually keeps me fairly fit but in reality I usually overdo it walking an dancing at the start of the festival and then have to slow right down. Last few years I've been very good at breaking myself as some of you may know. About four years ago I broke a wrist immediately followed by breaking the other arm. It made that years festival an interesting challenge with both arms in plaster. 2018 I really excelled myself. Broke tib and fib and ended up with an external frame fitted holding the bones together. Wasn't ideal and was a bit uncomfortable.

Anyway, I been saying for ages that I'm going to have to get myself fit. Three months ago daughter#1 said  'dad, don't be a twat. Do it now or you'll have a fuckd sparrow leg for ever. You're not getting any younger' 

Cut a long story short I bought a second hand bike and got peddling. 

Right now feeling rather broken again. 49 miles and halfway through pushed I damn bike up to the top of Glastonbury Tor. 

Rest day tomorrow? Nope , bed day.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer