Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

3 hours ago, Simsy said:

Can anyone recommend any YouTube workout videos for someone who has no equipment and doesn't really like exercising? I normally just try to walk a lot, but now I can only go outside to get food 🙁

You could try the blogilates videos...they're quite good if you don't have any equipment, and it's not too intense. Or could try Joe Wickes' PE lessons. I've heard they're actually really good!

11 hours ago, Sasperella said:

You could try the blogilates videos...they're quite good if you don't have any equipment, and it's not too intense. Or could try Joe Wickes' PE lessons. I've heard they're actually really good!

Thanks, I'll give those a try.

I think I had my first "bonking" experience on my run on Saturday... I was 19 km in and just went to pieces. I thought I was going to pass out/ throw up and i had gels and a Nakd bar with me but couldn't stomach it (I think I left it too late). 

Any way my husband had to come and rescue me about 4 km from home so not ideal! I felt fine after so think it was just a case of bad fuelling but just a reminder to take it easy people! 

8 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Blimey there was me thinking I was just about to read about some dogging going on in your area. 

went for a stroll near beckenham in SE London on Sat. We were in the woods out in the sticks and there was an old quaint disused pub now used for accommodation. My wife is fascinated by Old Stuff (she's a Kiwi) so googled it. Transpired it’s been closed since 1978 but is now a famous dogging hotspot 🤨

11 hours ago, Sasperella said:

You mean nope they're not good? Quite a few of my adult friends who don't have children are doing them! I thought it might be a good suggestion for someone who wasn't already into fitness (like the OP suggested)

Nah, sure they're good. Just not having Joe Wicks. There's something that just seems a bit unsavoury about the slick timing of this to make hay while the sun isn't shining. Makes out like he's the nation's saviour all the while huge printing presses will be stamping twenty quid on the back of "Joe Wicks PE Lessons". I get it, I really do and it'll sell bucket loads. I just think it's a bit cringe. Don't think he'll be arsed though when he's driving his gold plated rocket car.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:35 AM, reflekting said:

If you've got any hills near you then those are a great way to improve your pacing/cadence by running downhill. Then try and translate this across to the flats.

So I tried to up my cadence, set way to high a pace and gassed out completely, but will keep pushing, as I'm now on furlough it gives me a lot of time to crack it. 

I've got some kind of lurgy (perhaps covid, who knows) so will be taking it easy for a while. 

Timing is pretty poor as I was and still am planning on doing a virtual marathon towards the end of the month, but I've given up any dreams of a good time and just want something to aim for. 

23 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

So I tried to up my cadence, set way to high a pace and gassed out completely, but will keep pushing, as I'm now on furlough it gives me a lot of time to crack it. 

One of the "eureka" moments I had when I started running more was to change my cadence, kind of by translating the "lungs not legs" approach from cycling.  Shortened strides but quicker movement, and I found I was able to settle into the same pace I was managing with a longer stride, but maintaining it for much longer. Also seems to put less strain on my knees, which is nice!

Just now, funkychick2007 said:

Any chance the Pilton Run may happen this year! I need something to aim for  To get me through the Joe Wicks PE sessions!!! I marshalled last year but wouldnt mind giving it a go!! 

pretty sure its happening every other year now at the request of Michael 

16 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

@deebeedoobee Any chance the Pilton Run may happen this year! I need something to aim for  To get me through the Joe Wicks PE sessions!!! I marshalled last year but wouldnt mind giving it a go!! 

Hiya, we are so grateful to all our Marshall’s, so thank you. Yes , it would be awesome to do this unfortunately we have been asked by the farm to run the event every other year. So 2021 is the next time we can hold the event.

mind you, after all the restrictions are lifted, I’m sure Pilton Digger and I can stand on the start/ finish line and cheer you through. I could even arrange for Big Dog to chase you around the course although he would no doubt give up at the first sign of rabbit poo.

My kettlebell still hasn't arrived :(

Have made a pact with my friend to get up at 6.45 every morning and do 30 mins of yoga. This is primarily to get my lazy-ass out of bed. When I only have to make it as far as my desk in the spare room I end up struggling to move anywhere before 8.30am. The circuits my other friend is doing on zoom are still going well, and I'm doing a run every 3 days (more than that and my feet get fucked up it seems). Also yesterday started this Plank Challenge thing to the Moby tune Flowers. Can't make it even half way through without collapsing, so there's something to work on! Although I may get annoyed with hearing my name over and over again every morning before too long.

That last bit sounded way more sexual than I was intending. Urrrrrrm moving on...

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

My kettlebell still hasn't arrived :(

Have made a pact with my friend to get up at 6.45 every morning and do 30 mins of yoga. This is primarily to get my lazy-ass out of bed. When I only have to make it as far as my desk in the spare room I end up struggling to move anywhere before 8.30am. The circuits my other friend is doing on zoom are still going well, and I'm doing a run every 3 days (more than that and my feet get fucked up it seems). Also yesterday started this Plank Challenge thing to the Moby tune Flowers. Can't make it even half way through without collapsing, so there's something to work on! Although I may get annoyed with hearing my name over and over again every morning before too long.

That last bit sounded way more sexual than I was intending. Urrrrrrm moving on...

Prompts me to get my lazy ass out of bed :) 

Went out for a lovely ride last night.  We've worked out a couple of routes that take about an hour so we stay within the reasonable usage policy, but still getting out into the fields a bit.  Roads are so quiet, it's just nice not feeling like we're about to get mown down :D

1 hour ago, chemica said:

Have gone from barely running at all, to running 27km in 3 days. Fancy a run again today, but don’t know whether I should in terms of muscles / rest . Anyone smarter than me able to tell me?

I used to go for a 45-min run every day and I was fine, but it's up to you. If you're new to it, maybe have a day off?