Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

15 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Thank you, think my long legs help with the pace but the muscles can't sustain it for very long at the moment, that should change soon though, be nice to do a fun run when this is all over.

If you've got any hills near you then those are a great way to improve your pacing/cadence by running downhill. Then try and translate this across to the flats.

2 hours ago, reflekting said:

That's actually a really good pace / cadence. If you can get the cadence up to 180 then you'll be rocking and under sub 23/4 in no time. 

This is a stupid question, but how do people take their phones out for runs with them??? It really confuses me! But I'd quite like to track my speed 

22 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

This is a stupid question, but how do people take their phones out for runs with them??? It really confuses me! But I'd quite like to track my speed 

things like this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=running+phone+armband&crid=3R3FPGGL59V2G&sprefix=running+p%2Caps%2C160&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9

32 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

My running shorts have a small pocket in the waistband that works OK. Have been known to run with it in hand but not my preference.

If you're getting more into it could a GPS watch be worth an investment? Fitbit or something like that?

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

I'm well behind the times, I have a basic stop watch that I press once at the start and once at the finish, old school I know!

3 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Some leggings have pockets in that keep phones nice and secure. 

I use a Camelpak for longer runs so I can keep water too or shorter runs prefer a belt thing, you can pick them up pretty cheap on Amazon, this is mine :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XGJZJ81/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And for tracking I use the Strava app

9 minutes ago, Homer said:

I hold mine in my hand (keys in other hand).

Tip for keys - if you just take the one(s) that you need like your house key instead of the whole bunch, tie it to the drawstring in your shorts or thread your trainer laces through the eye. Not going anywhere then

11 hours ago, Sasperella said:

11 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I bought the Amazon's Choice one. It's fine. I have it more for music and it's a bit of a fiddle, but needs must.

Am now also in the furloughed club. No excuse not to exercise every day now. Prob need to fix my bike for today's effort though, as reacted by drinking two bottles of red last night and not sure if I can be bothered with a run (head fine but feeling a tad lethargic).

11 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I bought the Amazon's Choice one. It's fine. I have it more for music and it's a bit of a fiddle, but needs must.

Oh, so cheap! Is it annoying to run with?

I still have a little iPod shuffle which I can just clip to my leggings, but I haven't been bothered to change the playlist for about three years and most of the tunes are more apt for long-ass bus journeys in Peru than running..

18 hours ago, Quark said:

Tip for keys - if you just take the one(s) that you need like your house key instead of the whole bunch, tie it to the drawstring in your shorts or thread your trainer laces through the eye. Not going anywhere then

Quark, this is genius! 

Thanks for all the different tips guys. I would quite like a Fitbit, but I dunno if I'd get annoyed having it on all the time? Maybe one of those cheap stopwatches is the way to go...

How's everyone getting on anyway?

My amazing skull-shaped kettlebell still hadn't arrived, but I'm trying to do a 30min yoga + abs work out once a day and then a run and/or the 30mins circuits thing my friend is doing for us on zoom. It's pretty good actually - yesterday's was knackering. Presumably the ones I do outside in the garden gives all the guys in the surrounding tenements a good laugh too.

However, I'm eating A LOT, drinking nearly every day (although, not proper binging I guess like I might on a heavy night out) and not walking anywhere near as much as I would in a normal day.... 😕 If I don't buy chocolate or crisps, my toast consumption will undoubtedly go up. Healthy snacks? Maybe a load of different kinds of nuts and protein bars?

Edited by Sasperella

im alternating between turbo trainer on bike and a fast walk / occasional jog   8k ish .... so outside every couple of days ... fortunately eating extra for me involves extra injections so this doesnt really happen ever ... but blood sugars have been generally a bit higher than usual so im having to adjust to a slightly more sedentary lifestyle .... work used to keep me fairly active ... at least moving about anyway .... I got a 4 pack of cider in a week or so ago but haven't found the need to drink it as yet ... I guess as I dont drink much anyway these days ( excluding the rare night out and Glastonbury ) so thats all a bit easier .... must try the skipping rope I have that might prove amusing for onlookers and obviously I not one that gets embarrassed easily :) 

Went for my first run for three and a half months yesterday. I’ve been travelling South East Asia and was forced to come home three months early due to the pandemic. So I now find myself in self isolation with no job and very little money after spending a lot of money on the flight home. I’ve decided to try to get into a healthy routine to try and prevent getting depressed. In the morning I’ll go for a run, then I will do an online Spanish lesson and in the afternoon my girlfriend and me will do a 30 day yoga challenge on YouTube. Yesterday was the first day and I’ve woken up with very sore legs!

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm keeping up a decent level of exercise but the healthy eating has gone to pot. There's a pandemic going on, so I can have a Jaffa Cake.

My thoughts exactly.

I went to the shop yesterday and purposefully bought no chocolate/biscuits/crisps etc so I wouldn't be tempted to eat it all in one sitting. It was a fucking terrible idea which I will be rectifying ASAP.

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

My thoughts exactly.

I went to the shop yesterday and purposefully bought no chocolate/biscuits/crisps etc so I wouldn't be tempted to eat it all in one sitting. It was a fucking terrible idea which I will be rectifying ASAP.

I'm finding that the shortages are playing havoc with meals. Had bangers and mash last night - can't have made that for over 10 years!