Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Interesting. Is that a local gym or a chain? Curious to see if it gets replicated elsewhere.

Out for either a run or some shuttle work in the park tonight.  Wednesday would normally be spin or a run, so really going to focus on keeping the routine going.

My mate's gym in Cardiff closed yesterday. They were opening for the evening to lend out equipment to people, which is a nice touch.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Feel like all those people I've been mocking for splurging on those bloody Peloton bikes are having the last laugh now

I was thinking this morning how annoying it is that I gave my crap old exercise bike to a charity shop years ago!

Our gym is still open but I've cancelled all my classes for this week because I don't feel 100%. I'm certain it's not Coronavirus but am still self-isolating just in case. Think a lot of people might be doing the same as my lunchtime Pilates class today (which is normally so hard to get on that I have to have a 06:30 alarm to get on it) has 12 spaces left for today. I wonder if by the end of the week they will be forced to close as well. I'm torn between feeling bad for local businesses etc and wanting to support them but also wanting to be sensible and self-isolate because I haven't been feeling 100%. Wish Boris had done more to protect people economically. I can't believe how poor the leaders we have around the world in times of such a crisis.

though i had very good intentions of getting myself up to some vague level of fitness for this year - the reality is i have done absolutely fuck all except sit on the sofa eating crisps and biscuits.

so - i hereby state that i have every intention of getting fit for 2021 🙂 

1 hour ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

£2000 for the bike plus £40 a month for membership isn’t it?

think I’d rather just stay a fat bastard and spend the cash on jammie dodgers..

And that is the correct answer!

First run for a while tonight, managed to figure out a route that gets me out for a reasonable run but avoids all the really muddy patches that just make it shite. Feel soooooo much better for that.

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

And that is the correct answer!

First run for a while tonight, managed to figure out a route that gets me out for a reasonable run but avoids all the really muddy patches that just make it shite. Feel soooooo much better for that.

The getting muddy is the best bit.  Outside running is an all year sport and so much cheaper than chucking bits of metal around in a sweaty gym.  Embrace the real world and get covered in it. Goretex trainers are your friend.

31 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

The getting muddy is the best bit.  Outside running is an all year sport and so much cheaper than chucking bits of metal around in a sweaty gym.  Embrace the real world and get covered in it. Goretex trainers are your friend.

Oh I don't mind mud and puddles and all sorts, quite happy with that. Just because of where I am a lot of the routes go on bridleways, and they're all quite deep channels. So with it being this muddy there's just zero stability, sliding all over the place, and I've done enough damage to my knees and ankles from rugby over the years that I don't like the odds on turning them at the mo!

3 hours ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

£2000 for the bike plus £40 a month for membership isn’t it?

think I’d rather just stay a fat bastard and spend the cash on jammie dodgers..

Strap iPad to exercise bike and peleton app is £12 a month, did the first month free trial, tried to trick it into giving me another free month but it wasn’t having any of it 🙂

11 hours ago, morph100 said:

Anyway now we’ve got over a year to get fit I can go back to sitting around drinking booze and eating cheese.

Morph wins the thread.

Had the email last night cancelling the Forest of Dean Half on the 29th, another one gone!  No events to train for now, just got that little bit harder to keep motivation up!

35 minutes ago, Quark said:

Morph wins the thread.

Had the email last night cancelling the Forest of Dean Half on the 29th, another one gone!  No events to train for now, just got that little bit harder to keep motivation up!

Motivation is just not getting fat I guess.... It would be easy to do! Going to force myself out for a morning/lunchtime run every day I think

I also tried to buy a yoga mat and some weights yesterday. Couldn't find a kettlebell anywhere (are people panic buying weights???) but did order a couple of dum bells and the mat. Hopefully I'll retain motivation to use them! 

46 minutes ago, Quark said:

Morph wins the thread.

Same here! first time ive missed more than 2 days running (in this training plan!) - definitely going to make the effort this eve

8 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Motivation is just not getting fat I guess.... It would be easy to do! Going to force myself out for a morning/lunchtime run every day I think

I also tried to buy a yoga mat and some weights yesterday. Couldn't find a kettlebell anywhere (are people panic buying weights???) but did order a couple of dum bells and the mat. Hopefully I'll retain motivation to use them! 

I know of at least 3 people who have gone out and bought weights so I think this could be a thing..

Edited by grilladelphia

48 minutes ago, Quark said:

Morph wins the thread.

Yes got to admit I had some chocolate lst night and probably been boredom eating a bit too much. If we go on a full Spanish style lock down I don't know how I'll cope. They are only allowed out to walk dogs up to 50 metres away from their home and can only go 1 at a time. I love my daily dog walks and I don't come into contact with anyone so don't know what harm it does. 

18 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes got to admit I had some chocolate lst night and probably been boredom eating a bit too much. If we go on a full Spanish style lock down I don't know how I'll cope. They are only allowed out to walk dogs up to 50 metres away from their home and can only go 1 at a time. I love my daily dog walks and I don't come into contact with anyone so don't know what harm it does. 

Yeah, I don't have an issue with lockdown (and I live in london, so it's in the post), but I would love to be able to go to the park once a day.

Current advice is still that you can go out for exercise, but keep the 2m distance from others.  So getting out to the park or out for a run is still OK, just not in groups.

I'm definitely going to be clinging to my runs for as long as I'm allowed.  Although being n the sticks I do have the advantage of it not exactly being crowded out and about

Just now, Quark said:

Current advice is still that you can go out for exercise, but keep the 2m distance from others.  So getting out to the park or out for a run is still OK, just not in groups.

I'm definitely going to be clinging to my runs for as long as I'm allowed.  Although being n the sticks I do have the advantage of it not exactly being crowded out and about

I went and played football in the end last night. We all sanitised beforehand and I probably bumped into a few people here and there (my marking wasn't exactly as tight as it could have been at times!). I know running is preferable but it was the only time I went out all day (drove past my local zone three pub and there must have been about 50 people in there sadly - average business for a weds I would imagine!).