Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

27 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Edit: Also just had word that my marathon has also been postponed :( Super disappointed but I knew it was coming 

Gutted for ya! but yeah to be expected, when did they postpone until?

also thinking the same as some of you guys above, quite fancy a swim but feels like it might be the wrong move..

4 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

also thinking the same as some of you guys above, quite fancy a swim but feels like it might be the wrong move..

Our gym sent an e-mail today saying that Corona virus can't survive the chlorine levels in the water so it should be perfectly safe. 

4 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

They postponed until Sunday 21st June!! 😅 which is good that people are hoping mass gatherings will be back on then but I'm not pushing my luck with a marathon 3 days before Glasto! 

I'm thinking of doing the virtual it just feels a bit sad.

12 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

They postponed until Sunday 21st June!! 😅 which is good that people are hoping mass gatherings will be back on then but I'm not pushing my luck with a marathon 3 days before Glasto! 

I'm thinking of doing the virtual it just feels a bit sad.

oh nightmare! yeah I don't think that date is going to be helpful unless somehow it goes ahead and glasto doesn't. virtual does seem a bit sad but im going to try and find some people to cheer at the end and maybe parade me around on their shoulders..

17 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I saw similar ... posted at my local gym .... its the contact around that though 

I suppose it depends on your gym, ours has been pretty good with the additional hygiene and I know I didn't go to Pilates today becaue I have the beginnings of a cold. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

I suppose it depends on your gym, ours has been pretty good with the additional hygiene and I know I didn't go to Pilates today becaue I have the beginnings of a cold. 

The hygiene at my gym was dreadful before this, miracle I haven't caught something there already :lol:

My current gym (Puregym) has sent me no notification of anything closing, but the Uni of Sheffield gym just emailed about an hour ago saying it was closing at 10pm tonight. I also received an email earlier in the day saying that my climbing gym (which has two branches here and two in Bristol) is also closing and will be freezing memberships. 

I'd got so good with using the free weights recently too! Wondering what I can do instead. I have no equipment here, not even a yoga mat. Looks like the French are still allowing people to go outside jogging though...

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

The hygiene at my gym was dreadful before this, miracle I haven't caught something there already :lol:

Lol!! I can't say everyone who uses ours has perfect hygiene but they have staff going around cleaning and have cleaning products and blue paper available for everyone to wipe down equipment. 

7 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

My current gym (Puregym) has sent me no notification of anything closing, but the Uni of Sheffield gym just emailed about an hour ago saying it was closing at 10pm tonight. I also received an email earlier in the day saying that my climbing gym (which has two branches here and two in Bristol) is also closing and will be freezing memberships. 

I'd got so good with using the free weights recently too! Wondering what I can do instead. I have no equipment here, not even a yoga mat. Looks like the French are still allowing people to go outside jogging though...

If you want a free option, youtube has lots of stuff available. I know my brother in law was using the Joe Wicks workouts from there while he was travelling for work as they're designed to be done in a hotel room.

The AthleanX channel on YT also has some really good stuff on bodyweight exercises.

If you're up for paying, I know you can get the Les Mills stuff like Body Combat online, but it's a subscription.

11 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

My Puregym is still open too. Not been since Saturday. Says we can freeze for a month if want too, which I'll do later I guess.

The ticker on the website told me there were over 70 people in there this morning. Doesn't seem like the right approach!

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

If you want a free option, youtube has lots of stuff available. I know my brother in law was using the Joe Wicks workouts from there while he was travelling for work as they're designed to be done in a hotel room.

The AthleanX channel on YT also has some really good stuff on bodyweight exercises.

If you're up for paying, I know you can get the Les Mills stuff like Body Combat online, but it's a subscription.

My wife has got a Les Mills* pack, got lots of different classes on there (DVD). Came with weights as well. Might not be quite heavy enough for me, but is an option.

Authentic pronunciation: 'Liz Mulls'.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

My wife has got a Les Mills* pack, got lots of different classes on there (DVD). Came with weights as well. Might not be quite heavy enough for me, but is an option.

Authentic pronunciation: 'Liz Mulls'.

Tip for working with lighter weights (on a lot of lifts anyway). Really slow down the movement, focus on every step of the pathway and your form, and really squeeze the muscle at the top end of the rep.  Burns like hell!

13 minutes ago, Homer said:

My Puregym is still open too. Not been since Saturday. Says we can freeze for a month if want too, which I'll do later I guess.

The ticker on the website told me there were over 70 people in there this morning. Doesn't seem like the right approach!

I know right??? Same for me, checked earlier and there were a fair few there. Seems crazy to me!

Maybe I should get myself some weights.. do you think that's necessary? @Quark, what do you think? Or is body weight sufficient. 

Also worried about anything that involves jumping up and down as I live in a top floor flat!

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I know right??? Same for me, checked earlier and there were a fair few there. Seems crazy to me!

Maybe I should get myself some weights.. do you think that's necessary? @Quark, what do you think? Or is body weight sufficient. 

Also worried about anything that involves jumping up and down as I live in a top floor flat!

Get some weights... and a rug!

Thanks Quark - v helpful. Can't work out if I'm going to emerge from isolation an adonis or morbidly obese!

Edited by Homer

9 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I'd have a look at some of the vids Sas and see how you get on with bodyweight work. Try this, Jeff's a monster :D

An alternative to weights is getting a set of resistance bands like these.  Lots you can do with them, and probably more practical for an upstairs flat than heavy plates.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golds-Gym-Long-Resistance-Tube/dp/B00CXSLG1Y

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

Thanks Quark - v helpful. Can't work out if I'm going to emerge from isolation an adonis or morbidly obese!

De nada. It's all about the "mind-muscle connection". When you stop thinking about moving a weight from point A to point B, and think instead about working a particular muscle / movement that just happens to have a weight attached to it, it's a whole new (painful) ball game :)

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Quark said:

I'd have a look at some of the vids Sas and see how you get on with bodyweight work. Try this, Jeff's a monster :D

An alternative to weights is getting a set of resistance bands like these.  Lots you can do with them, and probably more practical for an upstairs flat than heavy plates.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golds-Gym-Long-Resistance-Tube/dp/B00CXSLG1Y

De nada. It's all about the "mind-muscle connection". When you stop thinking about moving a weight from point A to point B, and think instead about working a particular muscle / movement that just happens to have a weight attached to it, it's a whole new (painful) ball game :)

Ah you have reminded me that I do actually have some resistance bands 🙂 just need to locate them! Maybe I should go pick up a yoga mat this evening though....

My wife just re-signed up for Les Mills. I can hear her doing it in the front room now (she smashed the ceiling lightbulb in there before doing a pump class, so god help us).

Anyway, it's £12 a month FYI and I was wrong it is online, not on DVD (she has all the weights already though).

Also, struggling to work out whether I should play football tonight. Would def be preferable after a day at home than going for a run; friendly games like this aren't particularly contacty; and I am bound to be the oldest person there by a mile. Am generally trying to stay in though (gym and pub are banned).

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Also, struggling to work out whether I should play football tonight. Would def be preferable after a day at home than going for a run; friendly games like this aren't particularly contacty; and I am bound to be the oldest person there by a mile. Am generally trying to stay in though (gym and pub are banned).

The social contact is a big thing, I get that. Don't know tbh. I think deep down with stuff like this we all know what the right answer is, but we try to find ways to justify it to ourselves. Perfectly normal.

New measurements put in to my gym as of today - all classes cancelled, some machines moved/removed to give more distance, only 100 people allowed in at a time, and reduced opening hours may come in to action in the next few weeks. I go at like 5 in the morning so hoping they remain open then, as it’s obviously one of the times with the least people there which works for me (especially now) for a multitude of reasons. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

New measurements put in to my gym as of today - all classes cancelled, some machines moved/removed to give more distance, only 100 people allowed in at a time, and reduced opening hours may come in to action in the next few weeks. I go at like 5 in the morning so hoping they remain open then, as it’s obviously one of the times with the least people there which works for me (especially now) for a multitude of reasons. 

Interesting. Is that a local gym or a chain? Curious to see if it gets replicated elsewhere.

Out for either a run or some shuttle work in the park tonight.  Wednesday would normally be spin or a run, so really going to focus on keeping the routine going.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Interesting. Is that a local gym or a chain? Curious to see if it gets replicated elsewhere.

Out for either a run or some shuttle work in the park tonight.  Wednesday would normally be spin or a run, so really going to focus on keeping the routine going.

Puregym so a chain. Not sure how long these measures are gonna be feasible before they need to close entirely, but glad they’re doing their best to stay open for now. Still going to work at the moment, but if/when that goes kaput the gym will be my only form of keeping sane.