Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

Taken the decision not to go down for the Forest of Dean Half, even if it's still going ahead. Strongly suspect the Paras 10 will be cancelled or postponed, can't see them wanting lots of potential infections running around a live army barracks!

Still not 100% clear what to do about the gym though. I can run and get out on my bike so that's fine (especially as the weather seems to be picking up) but it's the weights that are the issue.  I've got some kit in my garage so I can cobble together enough to keep me going, but not going to be able to do the heavy work on stuff like squats & deadlifts.  First world problems innit :D

Stay safe and well, that's the main thing kids

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

My gym was noticeably emptier than usual this morning and seems to be getting moreso with each day, but no sign of closure yet and me and all the other idiots will probably continue to go until a. It closes or b. We get the virus. Lots of new cleaning measures in place, but when you’re constantly sharing and handling equipment I suppose the risk is even greater than anywhere else. Do feel a bit of a dick for continuing to go, but it’s one of the few things in life I enjoy and also my mental health plummets when I have a break so... that’s my reasoning. 

Yeah I agree. Feel like a dick but I'm gonna be stuck in my apartment all day, the only time I'll really go out is to go the gym. Don't have weights at home or anything so it's my only choice. 

15 hours ago, pilton digger said:

I don't see why not.  They ask you avoid close contact and if like me, you run outside all the time that is the case.  In 4 miles tonight I saw a lot of cows, a pheasant, heard the duck that stalks me, and saw a couple of dog walkers in the distance. My closest contact was with a startled Guernsey that was looking over the gate as I plodded past in all my glory.

in short I think as long as you are not swapping fluids it should be OK.

Somone will now be along to doomsay / criticise.  But thats OK. No real fucks will be given.

Wait, what?

4 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Pleased to say that I've started running again! My trip of a lifetime has been cancelled because of Covid19 so I have some time off to work on my golf and today I completed my first run, only 4K but it's a start! 

Ah gutted your trip's cancelled mate. Good work on the run!

24 minutes ago, Quark said:

Taken the decision not to go down for the Forest of Dean Half, even if it's still going ahead. Strongly suspect the Paras 10 will be cancelled or postponed, can't see them wanting lots of potential infections running around a live army barracks!

Still not 100% clear what to do about the gym though. I can run and get out on my bike so that's fine (especially as the weather seems to be picking up) but it's the weights that are the issue.  I've got some kit in my garage so I can cobble together enough to keep me going, but not going to be able to do the heavy work on stuff like squats & deadlifts.  First world problems innit :D

Stay safe and well, that's the main thing kids

Don't go to the gym mate - you might as well take the opportunity to fix all the bits of you that are falling off!

There's always the option of using your own bodyweight. Again, I would strongly recommend finding a park-based bootcamp.

16 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Pleased to say that I've started running again! My trip of a lifetime has been cancelled because of Covid19 so I have some time off to work on my golf and today I completed my first run, only 4K but it's a start! 

Nice one on the run! Take all the frustration out by running would be my advice. 

I hope you can reschedule the trip in brighter times. 

8 minutes ago, Homer said:

Don't go to the gym mate - you might as well take the opportunity to fix all the bits of you that are falling off!

There's always the option of using your own bodyweight. Again, I would strongly recommend finding a park-based bootcamp.

"I can't get weights to do heavy work"

"Use your bodyweight"

How rude!!! :lol:

Yeah I think I know what the answer is really.  I've accepted everything else, it's just massively frustrating that strength on the big lifts was starting to come back! Never mind.

I've got a chin up bar, punchbag, kettlebell, bands, bench and enough weights to be able to get me through. Really don't know what I'm bitching about :D

I'm kind of done with the bootcamp stuff tbh. Spent so long being yelled at and crawling through mud with rugby training I enjoy not having to do that any more!

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

"I can't get weights to do heavy work"

"Use your bodyweight"

How rude!!! :lol:

Yeah I think I know what the answer is really.  I've accepted everything else, it's just massively frustrating that strength on the big lifts was starting to come back! Never mind.

I've got a chin up bar, punchbag, kettlebell, bands, bench and enough weights to be able to get me through. Really don't know what I'm bitching about :D

I'm kind of done with the bootcamp stuff tbh. Spent so long being yelled at and crawling through mud with rugby training I enjoy not having to do that any more!

Ha ha, I'm v much in the same camp on the bodyweight thing - prob why I'm brainstorming ideas to counter yet more jogging!

26 minutes ago, Quark said:

Wait, what?

I tend to run along the ridge above the village, nowhere near water or the river and most days there is a random duck that quacks at me from the direction of the woods on the left as I go along. Occasionally it is a bit further along and very occasionally I see it by the road. There are some ducks at a property about 3/4 mile from there down on the edge of the village but there isn't anthing up there apart from cows and trees. No idea what is is doing out of area but I am starting to think it has evil motives.  I've never had a stalker before.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Ha ha, I'm v much in the same camp on the bodyweight thing - prob why I'm brainstorming ideas to counter yet more jogging!

If you want something a little more interval based I can pull out some of the old sprint training & shuttle patterns we used to run at training. Very stop start, lots of changes of direction. You can mix in bodyweight exercises with the sets as well if you want a total attack.

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I saw on our gym information board that Chlorine kills the virus and its ok to swim ? so if I dont do the sauna , whirlpool bit ? 

Realistically the water itself "should" be safe. And most places will have the same level of water safety for their spa areas as they do for the main pool.

Whether it's still a good idea.....hmm. 

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Realistically the water itself "should" be safe. And most places will have the same level of water safety for their spa areas as they do for the main pool.

Whether it's still a good idea.....hmm. 

ok cheers ... ive got to balance it with work risks ... I should be self isolating as a type 1 diabetic ... but cant afford to on ssp .... ive moved to an out the back role to try and lessen the numbers of human contacts I have with customers .... bloody hell my heads spinning but thanks 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ok cheers ... ive got to balance it with work risks ... I should be self isolating as a type 1 diabetic ... but cant afford to on ssp .... ive moved to an out the back role to try and lessen the numbers of human contacts I have with customers .... bloody hell my heads spinning but thanks 

If you're an at risk category then it's all about minimising risk.  If you're already having to continue working, I'd personally suggest you've used up you proverbial freebies right there.  Sucks, as I know how much exercise does for general wellbeing, but I'd knock it on the head for now pal :(

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

If you're an at risk category then it's all about minimising risk.  If you're already having to continue working, I'd personally suggest you've used up you proverbial freebies right there.  Sucks, as I know how much exercise does for general wellbeing, but I'd knock it on the head for now pal :(

yep I think thats probably the call I will make .... ive got a turbo trainer for my road bike that I think ill set up in my living room to offset as much as I can  ... and should be pretty safe :)  ... now to contact the gym and suspend membership ? although I wonder if im able to do that .... anyone use Nuffield health and can advise what they've done ? 

2 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

Nice one on the run! Take all the frustration out by running would be my advice. 

I hope you can reschedule the trip in brighter times. 

Cheers! Hoping to reach 5k and then do a mix of longer runs/5k but try and improve my pace. Hopefully get a large part refunded so that as soon as it settles down I'll be booking it again.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Ah gutted your trip's cancelled mate. Good work on the run!

Thank you :)

Has anyone used a freestanding punch bag?

I don't have anywhere to hang one but think I could do with having my own at home whilst I can't get to the gym. 

Edit: Also just had word that my marathon has also been postponed :( Super disappointed but I knew it was coming 

Edited by gmb1992

10 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Has anyone used a freestanding punch bag?

I don't have anywhere to hang one but think I could do with having my own at home whilst I can't get to the gym. 

I've used similar, not a bag but a slam man dummy.

They're fine, but I found they're definitely more about hand speed. Certainly if I lay into it then it's moving all over the place. I'd expect a freestanding bag to be quite similar.

53 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Tom Hanks is diabetic (and 63) and he is out of his hospital now FYI (as is his wife).

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

I've used similar, not a bag but a slam man dummy.

They're fine, but I found they're definitely more about hand speed. Certainly if I lay into it then it's moving all over the place. I'd expect a freestanding bag to be quite similar.

Yeah that's what I imagined, I'll look into some reviews to see if I can find a sturdy one, if not I might need t think about clearing out the garage. 

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Tom Hanks is diabetic (and 63) and he is out of his hospital now FYI (as is his wife).

yep cheers ... I meant to quote you in that post when I saw it the other day ... just a concern he was hospitalised ... but im relatively fit so hope things won't come to that ... of course its not of concern though ... like many others with the underlying health conditions im sure ... its the unknown :(