Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

24 minutes ago, Homer said:

Are people still going to the gym? I went yesterday morning (and played football). Having a big one last night saved me making a decision today (my wife still went though)

Wrestling with this dilemma at the moment. 

Been going all week but starting to wonder if I should be rethinking it.  

I don't think there's much reason (yet) to avoid the gym.  Most experts seem to think transmission is mainly via contaminated surfaces so you could wipe any equipment down before using it and wash your hand straight after your workout, and avoid touching eyes, mouth and nose.  Should be ok.  As long as no-one sneezes on you which is pretty unlikely.

I was in the gym Friday and out running Saturday and today. I was thinking when in the gym if it would be closed soon due to the virus. Fortunately I have quite a bit of equipment in the garage to keep doing weights workouts, and I'll pound the pavement on cardio days. 

5 hours ago, Homer said:

Are people still going to the gym? I went yesterday morning (and played football). Having a big one last night saved me making a decision today (my wife still went though)

I went yesterday- big container of hand sanitiser in the entrance, please use on entering/ exiting etc.

I did - on my way out, bloke walked straight past it into changing room 🤷‍♂️

I am not a salesperson, but 'Huel' really helps me when I have put on a bit to much pudding.

It is a quite restrictive way of doing things but you can do it how you wish.

I opted for a week of only huel drinks to kick start things and I lost some decent weight which was motivation and it helped me to not associate things like watching TV, sitting on the sofa with food. Replaced it with a nice cup of herbal or normal tea.

I then eased off and was having it 3 days a week, then just for breakfast or lunch.

I found it an easy way to know what calories I was having that day, lost a couple of stone in a few months.  

That's just me though, not for everyone.

It's been a bit of a weird weekend for me. 

- I did my longest run yet, just shy of 30km, and it felt great (well as good as running for 3+ hours can feel)

- A 10km I had booked for this coming weekend has been postponed

- I went to a Boulder Shack for the first time and found another way that you can be active and have so much fun! 

- My boxing gym has decided as of tomorrow they are going to temporarily close due to the virus. 

I felt like I made a breakthrough with marathon training this weekend and my Marathon (Southampton) is still due to go ahead so I'm just trying to keep positive and motivated.

I hope everyone else has managed to keep the motivation up and has a great week! :) 

Just now, grilladelphia said:

marathon is cancelled but training continued as normal this weekend - rescheduled to September but don't fancy training through the summer so may defer until 2021. willing to take the hit and miss the marathon as a sacrifice to the coronagods to allow glasto to go ahead! :)

Oh no! That's rubbish! 

I have a feeling I'll be in the same boat soon. 

18 hours ago, Homer said:

I'm still going. At our class yesterday the instructor asked before we started if anyone had an cold or flu symptoms. All the advice is so all over the place that I am just practising good hygiene and carrying on until I am told otherwise. Other than a dodgy lower back I don't have any health concerns so I  see no reason to take any extreme measures and I figure the fitter and healthier I am the better my chances of being able to deal with any illness that comes my way. 

11 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Oh no! That's rubbish! 

I have a feeling I'll be in the same boat soon. 

yeah bit of a nightmare but I think brighton is usually packed with spectators so I guess it makes sense - may see if I can find one last minute that's not cancelled but it depends where we are in 5 weeks time, could be complete lockdown!

1 hour ago, Homer said:

So we are allowed to go out to 'exercise'. Can't quite figure out what that equates to/what is responsible.

I don't see why not.  They ask you avoid close contact and if like me, you run outside all the time that is the case.  In 4 miles tonight I saw a lot of cows, a pheasant, heard the duck that stalks me, and saw a couple of dog walkers in the distance. My closest contact was with a startled Guernsey that was looking over the gate as I plodded past in all my glory.

in short I think as long as you are not swapping fluids it should be OK.

Somone will now be along to doomsay / criticise.  But thats OK. No real fucks will be given.

32 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

I don't see why not.  They ask you avoid close contact and if like me, you run outside all the time that is the case.  In 4 miles tonight I saw a lot of cows, a pheasant, heard the duck that stalks me, and saw a couple of dog walkers in the distance. My closest contact was with a startled Guernsey that was looking over the gate as I plodded past in all my glory.

in short I think as long as you are not swapping fluids it should be OK.

Somone will now be along to doomsay / criticise.  But thats OK. No real fucks will be given.

So outdoors as opposed to gym then?

All amateur football now cancelled 

My gym was noticeably emptier than usual this morning and seems to be getting moreso with each day, but no sign of closure yet and me and all the other idiots will probably continue to go until a. It closes or b. We get the virus. Lots of new cleaning measures in place, but when you’re constantly sharing and handling equipment I suppose the risk is even greater than anywhere else. Do feel a bit of a dick for continuing to go, but it’s one of the few things in life I enjoy and also my mental health plummets when I have a break so... that’s my reasoning. 

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

My gym was noticeably emptier than usual this morning and seems to be getting moreso with each day, but no sign of closure yet and me and all the other idiots will probably continue to go until a. It closes or b. We get the virus. Lots of new cleaning measures in place, but when you’re constantly sharing and handling equipment I suppose the risk is even greater than anywhere else. Do feel a bit of a dick for continuing to go, but it’s one of the few things in life I enjoy and also my mental health plummets when I have a break so... that’s my reasoning. 

I agree, my weekly exercise routine is one of the things that gets me through the Monday - Friday so I'm not giving up any classes until I have to. 

My boxing gym has shut but Hot yoga is still going ahead with stricter cleaning instructions. 

I went to the gym yesterday, but it was a few bodies short of normal. The classes were going ahead as normal, I saw. Guess this was before the announcements last night.

I’m due to go again after work tomorrow night, but if it’s open do I go? As others have said, exercise is as important for mental health as much as physical. But is that wholly irresponsible? Our cricket practice has been cancelled and with the season starting in 4 weeks I can see that being delayed.

Probably running outside is the answer!

I haven't been to the gym since Saturday and won't be for a while. I am going to run and ride my mountain boke.

Also have done circuits on Clapham Common for years with a nice bunch of people. Will def be doing that more regularly (without physical contact obvs). Might be worth a Google in your area.