Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Awesome effort GP now lets help you reward that effort with some lovely golden tickets 

I really, really bloody hope so. It feels like it would be a shame to be the fittest I have ever been and spend the weekend stuck on a sofa watching it on the iPlayer!!! 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Now the start of my fitness craze was spurred on by having a bad back so I'm not sure how advisable that would be but I would be willing to give it a go!! :D 

I cant do that to you as ive the same issue ... but keep up that incredible work :) 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I cant do that to you as ive the same issue ... but keep up that incredible work :) 

Thanks

4 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

I feel like everyone in this thread needs to do some sort of Efests olypmics on the Wednesday - maybe some arm wrestling and 100m dash etc, with pints awarded obviously

I can do lots of squats and balance work from my Pilates classes. Don't even need the pints awarded as I don't drink. I'm not sure how entertaining it is though :D

On 3/1/2020 at 12:23 PM, Greenelk said:

So, Thursday 27th June 2019, I've just enjoyed the Old Dirty Brasstards in Williams Green, and decide to head for the loo before Guilty Pleasures.  I stretch my leg out to get past a group of people, find a damp patch, slip, and break my left ankle.   The fracture clinic months later advise an unfit and overweight middle aged man (me) that end of April might be too soon to run my first marathon, but I'm a stubbon sod, don't withdraw, and get the nod from the physio to start running in November.

Last weekend, I comfortably managed half marathon distance in my training run, and was feeling pretty bloody positive.

On Thursday 27th Feb 2020, I'd just enjoyed the Old Dirty Brasstards at BrewLDN.  We decided it was time to head home, and were heading for the exit, when I slipped on the stairs, and of course, break my right ankle.

You could not make this shit up.

Hopefully if you see them on the 27th October you don't break your middle leg. 

Rubbish news. Heal well x

I started again after Christmas on the 13th January. I had put so much weight on over the past couple of years after losing it all I had stupidly put it all back on again. I lost just under 5 stone about 2 and a half years ago. I got down to 14st 3lb from 18st 13lb. Me and the Mrs have been saving for a mortgage deposit over the past couple of years and due to that we have been spending much more time at home than usual and it’s just so easy to raid the fridge. Anyway I weighed myself on 13th January and I weighed in at 19st (was so disappointed in myself), but anyway, since then been doing weekly weigh ins of a Monday and yesterday I weighed in at 17st 1lb so lost just under 2 stone in 7 weeks. Been using a treadmill at home and been running 2 miles at a time on it, when I started a few weeks ago my time was about 25 minutes 30 seconds and about an hour ago I’ve just done it in 18mins 43secs which I know is probably not that fast but I’m getting quicker all the time. Going to up it to 5km soon. 

1 minute ago, lukethekid said:

I started again after Christmas on the 13th January. I had put so much weight on over the past couple of years after losing it all I had stupidly put it all back on again. I lost just under 5 stone about 2 and a half years ago. I got down to 14st 3lb from 18st 13lb. Me and the Mrs have been saving for a mortgage deposit over the past couple of years and due to that we have been spending much more time at home than usual and it’s just so easy to raid the fridge. Anyway I weighed myself on 13th January and I weighed in at 19st (was so disappointed in myself), but anyway, since then been doing weekly weigh ins of a Monday and yesterday I weighed in at 17st 1lb so lost just under 2 stone in 7 weeks. Been using a treadmill at home and been running 2 miles at a time on it, when I started a few weeks ago my time was about 25 minutes 30 seconds and about an hour ago I’ve just done it in 18mins 43secs which I know is probably not that fast but I’m getting quicker all the time. Going to up it to 5km soon. 

nice one ... the challenge is against yourself and not others .... thats way better motivation ..... I recently knocked around 40 seconds off my PB for swimming 2k .... down to just under 55 mins .... now thats not massive to anyone accept me but the motivation is there to keep beating it .... only thing holding me back is an allergy to pool water after a few days consecutive swimming my nose is streaming :( ive tried a clip and it just falls off ..... but yeah nice one 

4 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

decent work mate! have you tried park run before? once you're up to doing 5k its good fun on a sat morning to get you going and im sure theres lots about near you

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

nice one ... the challenge is against yourself and not others .... thats way better motivation ..... I recently knocked around 40 seconds off my PB for swimming 2k .... down to just under 55 mins .... now thats not massive to anyone accept me but the motivation is there to keep beating it .... only thing holding me back is an allergy to pool water after a few days consecutive swimming my nose is streaming :( ive tried a clip and it just falls off ..... but yeah nice one 

That’s it I’d never try and compare myself against anyone else, it’s my objective no one else’s. Everyone circumstances are different aren’t they, like I’m 6ft 5’ with a pretty broad build so me comparing myself to someone who is 5ft 6’ with a smaller frame is just a bit daft init. Well done on beating your PB keep it going. You’ll do it again. I’d like to get in to swimming haven’t been in a swimming pool apart from being on holiday in years. 

5 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

decent work mate! have you tried park run before? once you're up to doing 5k its good fun on a sat morning to get you going and im sure theres lots about near you

Cheers mate 👍🏻 I haven’t yano, there’s something about running outside that is a bit daunting at the minute but once I’m a bit more up to speed I might look in to it giving it a go. Running on the treadmill at home at the I feel a bit more relaxed and within my comfort zone. 

1 minute ago, lukethekid said:

That’s it I’d never try and compare myself against anyone else, it’s my objective no one else’s. Everyone circumstances are different aren’t they, like I’m 6ft 5’ with a pretty broad build so me comparing myself to someone who is 5ft 6’ with a smaller frame is just a bit daft init. Well done on beating your PB keep it going. You’ll do it again. I’d like to get in to swimming haven’t been in a swimming pool apart from being on holiday in years. 

Cheers mate 👍🏻 I haven’t yano, there’s something about running outside that is a bit daunting at the minute but once I’m a bit more up to speed I might look in to it giving it a go. Running on the treadmill at home at the I feel a bit more relaxed and within my comfort zone. 

not the strongest swimmer as a youngster but i started swimming 20 lengths 3years or so ago  and built it up ... a length increase every time I went ..... once I hit 100 3 x per week I have now started to go for a time improvement .... so can mix up the challenge slightly to keep it interesting and not more than an hour at a time ... 

23 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

not the strongest swimmer as a youngster but i started swimming 20 lengths 3years or so ago  and built it up ... a length increase every time I went ..... once I hit 100 3 x per week I have now started to go for a time improvement .... so can mix up the challenge slightly to keep it interesting and not more than an hour at a time ... 

Well done Mr CrazyFool keep up the good work. 🏊‍♂️  

5CC646E7-F07A-4E02-9F57-00D89009D0A4.gif

15 hours ago, lukethekid said:

I'm out of up votes... good job! 2 stone in 7 weeks is awesome and shows you must be putting in loads of effort! 

2 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I'm out of up votes... good job! 2 stone in 7 weeks is awesome and shows you must be putting in loads of effort! 

Cheers 👍🏻 It’s hard at times but when you’re determined to do something and you have a goal to aim (which is Glastonbury at the minute obviously) then it’s easier to focus on the task at hand. Made up with the results so far, just need to keep going.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:23 PM, Greenelk said:

On Thursday 27th Feb 2020, I'd just enjoyed the Old Dirty Brasstards at BrewLDN.  We decided it was time to head home, and were heading for the exit, when I slipped on the stairs, and of course, break my right ankle.

You could not make this shit up.

That sucks pal, speedy recovery.

21 hours ago, gigpusher said:

So end of February weigh in. I wasn't feeling confident as I have been having a shit time at work and more than once I have decided sod it I can't be arsed cooking and eaten my feelings about work!! However my commitment to my exercise has obviously paid off as I managed to lose 4.6 lb's. That only .2 of a lb away from losing 6 stone and more significantly 1.8 lb's off being merely overweight instead of obese. Fingers crossed I reach that milestone at the end of this month. 

Great work!

20 hours ago, lukethekid said:

Also great work!

28 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I've got 9 miles planned tonight, which is by far the furthest I've ran on a weeknight so I know I am going to be shattered! 

I'm just hoping the rain eases off! 

Think of is as natural automated coolant rather than rain :D

Just off to try out the new gore-tex trainers. I usually wear Brooks but couldnt get a good sale price ( i refuse to pay full/ridiculous price for trainers) and i desperately needed some gore-tex ones this month. So went for salomon.  Hopefully the reviews are true to their word. They shall remain shiny clean no more.

56 minutes ago, Quark said:

Think of is as natural automated coolant rather than rain :D

Yeah that doesn't work so well when it's February and it's dark and already pretty cold! 

40 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Just off to try out the new gore-tex trainers. I usually wear Brooks but couldnt get a good sale price ( i refuse to pay full/ridiculous price for trainers) and i desperately needed some gore-tex ones this month. So went for salomon.  Hopefully the reviews are true to their word. They shall remain shiny clean no more.

Nice, I need to get myself some decent but fairly budget trail shoes so would be interested to hear how you get on with them

1 hour ago, gmb1992 said:

Yeah that doesn't work so well when it's February and it's dark and already pretty cold! 

Nice, I need to get myself some decent but fairly budget trail shoes so would be interested to hear how you get on with them

Sadly no further than the living room. I tried them on and they are too narrow at the toe for me. Back to Brooks for this gal.

And so back to soggy trainers in front of the fire too until I can find some GTX in the right price bracket.

On a positive I did manage to dodge out of the way of Michael in his red Land Rover today, ...twice. so thats a nice start to Thursday.