Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

On 2/25/2020 at 9:24 AM, grilladelphia said:

oh nightmare - they may have an option to defer your place so its not a total waste? worth asking for sure

To my surprise I got a refund as it was within 5 working days, minus admin fee... now eyeing up the half at Ros Go Run 2020 on 06/09 in co. Roscommon... I can only ever get to about 14/15km max in training, i'm just hoping if I have a few months on that and get upto about 18km, momentum on the day will see me through... I know I sound like the Tyson Fury story here 😄but it'll give me such a huge sense of achievement 

24 minutes ago, CJTM said:

To my surprise I got a refund as it was within 5 working days, minus admin fee... now eyeing up the half at Ros Go Run 2020 on 06/09 in co. Roscommon... I can only ever get to about 14/15km max in training, i'm just hoping if I have a few months on that and get upto about 18km, momentum on the day will see me through... I know I sound like the Tyson Fury story here 😄but it'll give me such a huge sense of achievement 

On the three occasions I've run a half marathon, I basically did a load of one hour runs then banged in a 90 min run (about 15k) a week before. Your training, the atmosphere and your big game temperament will help you over the rest! 

(By all means feel free to do more and longer training runs, I'm just saying that it's doable on a single 15k max training run.)

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, CJTM said:

yeah the furthest I got before my first half last year was 18km, the last 3km on the day will be a breeze!

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, CJTM said:

thanks both @Homer @grilladelphia looking forward to taking two firm step back on the progress on the farm, come the last week in June. You both going?

yeah all sorted in the main sale thankfully - I did my first half marathon about a month before glasto last year and the extra leg strength was a godsend on the farm!

3 hours ago, CJTM said:

Good news on the refund.

Can only echo what the others have said, last Sep was my first half as well. One thing I'd recommend if it's possible is to get a feel for the course in advance.  The one I did is a big figure of 8, so was able to break it into 2 chunks and run those just so the terrain and hills didn't take me by surprise on the day!

16 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I think I have over trained on the running and have a bit of heal pain when running. 

it’s causing my stride to change which is pulling everything out. 

Same! My Achilles on my right is very tender which has now managed to also affect my left calf and both hips :(

It's a vicious cycle trying to up distance. Up distance, cause a nuisance, reduce distance, get better, up distance...

57 minutes ago, Quark said:

Good news on the refund.

Can only echo what the others have said, last Sep was my first half as well. One thing I'd recommend if it's possible is to get a feel for the course in advance.  The one I did is a big figure of 8, so was able to break it into 2 chunks and run those just so the terrain and hills didn't take me by surprise on the day!

That's why I was keen on Birmingham because I am a Brummie, so route would have been familiar, looking like bally-in-the-arse-end-of-no-where in Ireland for me anyhow... anyone do the 5K at Glastonbury last year, think it was Thursday morning?

5 minutes ago, CJTM said:

That's why I was keen on Birmingham because I am a Brummie, so route would have been familiar, looking like bally-in-the-arse-end-of-no-where in Ireland for me anyhow... anyone do the 5K at Glastonbury last year, think it was Thursday morning?

I actually kidded myself I might do it and took my kit.  Suffice to say I did not make it.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I actually kidded myself I might do it and took my kit.  Suffice to say I did not make it.

Ha, in the same exact boat as you Quark, think the cans hit me too hard, a friend who was pinging into Deep Space 9 was convinced he was going to stay up for it, suffice to say, he did not make it

Just now, gmb1992 said:

As much as I love running and Glasto I couldn't think of anything worse than running at Glasto.

I know, the sweat for post Thursday morning would be on your body/clothes for the weekend then, when you're trying to keep it to a minimum, I really want to get myself to the eFests meet this year though

Had a decent follow up session with the physio on my shoulders today.  Not 100% there yet but everything's definitely improving and moving in the right direction, so it's just maintaining the rehab exercises and keep rebuilding the strength.

Always good to know it's nothing that can't be fixed, and so long as there's noticeable improvement I'm a happy bunny :)

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, gmb1992 said:

As much as I love running and Glasto I couldn't think of anything worse than running at Glasto.

Totally agree, we cover plenty of miles anyway without adding in any running.  I class it as a rest period seeing as I pretty much train the rest of the year apart from family holiday, Glasto and Christmas.

• Upvote 1

would love a run around the site but definitely not over the festival weekend, don't they do a 10k race around there at some point out of festival time?

smashed out a little 8 miler steady last night at 4:45 per km and got a fartlek session this eve which im not really looking forward to!  - rest day Friday, park run Saturday and 20 miler on sunday!

12 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

would love a run around the site but definitely not over the festival weekend, don't they do a 10k race around there at some point out of festival time?

smashed out a little 8 miler steady last night at 4:45 per km and got a fartlek session this eve which im not really looking forward to!  - rest day Friday, park run Saturday and 20 miler on sunday!

Yes we do. Myself and others organise a Festival run ( 5km and 10km) in October. We held it in 2019 (http://www.piltonvillage.co.uk/festival-run.html  )  . However Michael has requested we hold it every other year. We’re very lucky he actually lets us do this at all. Some events got told they couldn’t run ever again! So we will see everyone on Worthy in 2021.

Just now, deebeedoobee said:

Yes we do. Myself and others organise a Festival run ( 5km and 10km) in October. We held it in 2019 (http://www.piltonvillage.co.uk/festival-run.html  )  . However Michael has requested we hold it every other year. We’re very lucky he actually lets us do this at all. Some events got told they couldn’t run ever again! So we will see everyone on Worthy in 2021.

ah amazing ill have to make sure I get involved with that!

1 hour ago, grilladelphia said:

20 miles! Jesus! 

When's your marathon? My training has gone awry and I'm starting to get nervous. 

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Lovely stuff, I'll keep an eye out for 2021 :)