Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

5 hours ago, Jalbo said:

My half marathon training has come to a temporary stop due to shin splints 😮 it's not till June so I should be Ok but still need to double my distance and I'd very much like to be a bit faster. Also more weather warnings for wind this week, anyone else tired of battling the weather during every run? If I end up getting a ticket in the resale or a volunteer place it'll all be worth it though 🏃‍♀️😁🥳

It's only the wind that I'm not too keen on when running, I don't mind a bit of rain.  In the summer I hate it when it's hot, it was baking when I did the London marathon in 2009 and would've much preferred a cold, drizzly day.

P.S. I'm nowhere near marathon distance at the mo.  I could run a decent 10k but looking to build up to at least half marathon distance.

first proper flop of the training plan this weekend! made it out for a fast 8k Saturday morning, straight into rum tasting then a friends 30th bday party, culminating in watching the boxing at about 4am - needless to say I was not running yesterday! going to have to make up for it this eve at least a 10 miler, how did everyone else get on?

5 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

first proper flop of the training plan this weekend! made it out for a fast 8k Saturday morning, straight into rum tasting then a friends 30th bday party, culminating in watching the boxing at about 4am - needless to say I was not running yesterday! going to have to make up for it this eve at least a 10 miler, how did everyone else get on?

I went for a run. Had fun.

27 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

I went to Cardiff and Bristol for the weekend, which put my start to the fitness week on the back foot. I was going to go and do the local Parkrun, but the nearest was Barry promenade, which I reckon could have ended in disaster! Luckily, I just ran around my mate's Welsh village in circles in the rain until I hit 5k, meaning I could skip spin this morning and still be on course to hit my five exercise for the week (going to have to go every morning now).

Edited by Homer
  • Upvote 1

Did 10K on the treadmill a few days ago in 50:45 which is a PB, can add 5 mins on for road running for that to me I would guess, but pretty pleased with it, just signed myself up for the Birmingham half in October, never done one before so  feeling nervously excited, if I can do it in sub 2 hours I will be delighted.

Tips are absolutely welcome, done two 10K park events only previously

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, CJTM said:

Did 10K on the treadmill a few days ago in 50:45 which is a PB, can add 5 mins on for road running for that to me I would guess, but pretty pleased with it, just signed myself up for the Birmingham half in October, never done one before so  feeling nervously excited, if I can do it in sub 2 hours I will be delighted.

I did a 10k training run on a treadmill a few weeks ago then ran a 10k 'race'/event and the times were pretty much the same, so hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised!

18 minutes ago, CJTM said:

have a look through some training plans, runners world have quite a few - and just slowly build up the mileage, as well as leaving enough time to taper off - youll be fine and youll love it! :) 

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

I did a 10k training run on a treadmill a few weeks ago then ran a 10k 'race'/event and the times were pretty much the same, so hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised!

1 minute ago, grilladelphia said:

have a look through some training plans, runners world have quite a few - and just slowly build up the mileage, as well as leaving enough time to taper off - youll be fine and youll love it! :) 

thanks both, no upvotes left for you both sorry! but even those replies put me at ease, 6'1 14 stone i'm not exactly a runners build 😄nice to have an end goal as well to keep me fit and on track over the summer as well

2 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

but did you wear goretex??

Nope. They are now retired. Outrun them and I haven't replaced them. I buy goretex in the sales in spring/Sumner and my summer shoes in winter. Cos I'm a tight git. It's too early to buy at the moment. But I have 2 pairs of summer shoes. One pair on my feet , one pair steaming in front of the fire. It'll do.

It is very soggy down on't farm.

I'm glad someone has brought up the treadmill time versus road time as I'm always hearing different views.  My times on the road are always quicker than my treadmill times but I actually think I'm working harder on the treadmill.  I always set the treadmill at 1% incline and wonder if that has an affect on my treadmill, I guess I've always done this as that's what they say is equivalent to road running.

As for the weekend I had my first drinks of year on Saturday night, although it was only a couple of ciders with a meal and then 3 bottles when I got home so there was no affect on Sunday.  I also got up for the boxing, alarm set for 4:40 and I was back in bed for a couple of hours kip before I went for a run at 9.  

31 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Nope. They are now retired. Outrun them and I haven't replaced them. I buy goretex in the sales in spring/Sumner and my summer shoes in winter. Cos I'm a tight git. It's too early to buy at the moment. But I have 2 pairs of summer shoes. One pair on my feet , one pair steaming in front of the fire. It'll do.

It is very soggy down on't farm.

yeah that's a pretty solid plan, I've seen a few pairs of the Nike Pegasus 36 Goretex winter models going into the sale now, im waiting on the Nike Alphafly's to release on Saturday but I think retail is about the price of a glasto ticket so im going to have an anxiety attack whilst ordering them

17 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

yeah that's a pretty solid plan, I've seen a few pairs of the Nike Pegasus 36 Goretex winter models going into the sale now, im waiting on the Nike Alphafly's to release on Saturday but I think retail is about the price of a glasto ticket so im going to have an anxiety attack whilst ordering them

What you getting Alphaflys for??

18 hours ago, Padgey said:

I'm glad someone has brought up the treadmill time versus road time as I'm always hearing different views.  My times on the road are always quicker than my treadmill times but I actually think I'm working harder on the treadmill.  I always set the treadmill at 1% incline and wonder if that has an affect on my treadmill, I guess I've always done this as that's what they say is equivalent to road running.

The biggest difference if you think about it is that on the road you're propelling yourself forward, whereas on the treadmill you're basically running to keep up with the floor.  Very different muscle recruitment, even though your legs are following the same motion.

I personally always find it harder to go at a pace on the treadmill than I do on the road.

52 minutes ago, Superscally said:

What you getting Alphaflys for??

just so intrigued - I've been running in the vaporflys and its so different its like running on clouds, really want to give them a go but the price is a bit ridiculous so I might sack it off and get more vaporflys for race day (although also a ridiculous price..), also didn't realise how little decent reactive miles you get out of them, ive done about 330km in them and theyre already pretty beat

5 minutes ago, CJTM said:

Lads I've had a mare, found out my cousin is getting married that day, so need to find another half, but I am determined to get one done in 2020, what a waste of forty quid that was tho 😄

oh nightmare - they may have an option to defer your place so its not a total waste? worth asking for sure

39 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

just so intrigued - I've been running in the vaporflys and its so different its like running on clouds, really want to give them a go but the price is a bit ridiculous so I might sack it off and get more vaporflys for race day (although also a ridiculous price..), also didn't realise how little decent reactive miles you get out of them, ive done about 330km in them and theyre already pretty beat

The Alphaflys have 100mile on the clock. I'd say I'd only ever consider them for a race where you've executed a four month training plan to perfection and the race is of supreme importance. Get some Pegasus turbos otherwise I'd say? 

2 minutes ago, Superscally said:

The Alphaflys have 100mile on the clock. I'd say I'd only ever consider them for a race where you've executed a four month training plan to perfection and the race is of supreme importance. Get some Pegasus turbos otherwise I'd say? 

yeah its a good shout  - about £100 cheaper as well.. going to keep an eye on the sales as well and see whats what, would love the vaporflys to come down to under £200 as they're just an absolute pleasure to run in

14 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

oh nightmare - they may have an option to defer your place so its not a total waste? worth asking for sure

I'll drop them an email and see what the story is anyhow, I was looking at one in the West of Ireland in May but not sure if I have enough time to train, did 9km this morning OK... plus it's the date of Tame Impala in London and i'm in two minds whether to go

13 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

yeah its a good shout  - about £100 cheaper as well.. going to keep an eye on the sales as well and see whats what, would love the vaporflys to come down to under £200 as they're just an absolute pleasure to run in

I've not been there yet, giving my Nike contacts a nudge to see if I can bagsie a pair...