Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

As my dry month comes to an end, I just went and did some weights and then in weighed in, and I've lost a stone. Pretty standard for a dry Jan and a handy start to the year. 

I'm off to eat sausages and drink rum to celebrate (after I've played football).

Edited by Homer

23 minutes ago, Superscally said:

It's meant to be lovely.

I've done it - most picturesque run I've done... even beat the Croydon 1/2!

You basically run through the Royal Parks, down the Thames, past Big Ben, etc and it's all v flat.

There were quite a few people with big speakers blaring out tunes as you went around to keep you going too. Recommended.

• Upvote 1

Managed to get up and out of the house for a 6.30am gym session (can't quite believe it myself!)

Didn't want to go to hard and scare myself off getting up early for gym sessions for the foreseeable so did a steady 5km on the treadmill then in to some press ups, pull ups, air squats and crunches for 20mins.

Even managed to get to work for 8am. 

Renewed sense of positivity towards life this morning!

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 10:49 AM, Superscally said:

It's meant to be lovely.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 11:15 AM, Homer said:

I've done it - most picturesque run I've done... even beat the Croydon 1/2!

You basically run through the Royal Parks, down the Thames, past Big Ben, etc and it's all v flat.

There were quite a few people with big speakers blaring out tunes as you went around to keep you going too. Recommended.

Yeah I was unsure due to the cost but I watched a speeded up ridethrough the course yday and looks really nice so going to get that booked in today

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Managed to get a run in not a long one, but most of my normal routes were flooded. 

this! struggled through my longest ever run in the storm yday, lots of flooded routes, trees blocking the path, bits of debris smashing me in the face! but got 17 miles in - 2hrs28mins - I am absolutely BROKEN today though, nearly gave up on my walk to work halfway if I wasn't so tight I would have booked an uber..

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

this! struggled through my longest ever run in the storm yday, lots of flooded routes, trees blocking the path, bits of debris smashing me in the face! but got 17 miles in - 2hrs28mins - I am absolutely BROKEN today though, nearly gave up on my walk to work halfway if I wasn't so tight I would have booked an uber..

Amazing effort! What’s your longest training run for a marathon? 20-odd? 

53 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

furthest in the plan before the day is 21 miles - so saving the last 5.2 for the day!

That's more than enough. Mu husband ran 2 marathons and I think most training plans he looked at the longest run was about 20 miles. The adrenaline on the day gets you around the rest (and your carb loading - so important to get that right) 

Headed out for 9 miles yesterday in the storm, it was brutal but also pretty fun! 

I have a busy week so not going to get up to too much but am already looking forward to next Saturday's run. 

I'm planning a park run sandwich... 12km there, Park run 5 km, then a shorter 10km route home! It will be my longest run yet! 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

That's more than enough. Mu husband ran 2 marathons and I think most training plans he looked at the longest run was about 20 miles. The adrenaline on the day gets you around the rest (and your carb loading - so important to get that right) 

carb loading is probably the easiest part for me!

1 minute ago, grilladelphia said:

carb loading is probably the easiest part for me!

You'd be surprised. My husband's first marathon he ate more carbs but didn't do it that scientifically and he ended up running the last 6 miles with calf cramp. For his next one I took over the nutrition bit at the end and did it exactly by his weight and he ended up having to eat more carbs than he expected.  Honey on toast was a lifesaver in terms of amount of carbs per bite and he felt much more comfortable for the second one. 

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

You'd be surprised. My husband's first marathon he ate more carbs but didn't do it that scientifically and he ended up running the last 6 miles with calf cramp. For his next one I took over the nutrition bit at the end and did it exactly by his weight and he ended up having to eat more carbs than he expected.  Honey on toast was a lifesaver in terms of amount of carbs per bite and he felt much more comfortable for the second one. 

Before I did my ultra a couple of years ago I didn't do much research (perhaps naively) but survived on a mixture of gels, flapjacks and cupcakes at check points.

Lots of runners used pouches of baby food as it was easy to squeeze one of those puppies in to your mouth, easy on the stomach and nutritious.